ADVERTISEMENT

Greece, Puerto Rico and China.

BoilerJS

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Its a really slow day. Thought I'd try to get some opinions on the above. Greece, well we saw that coming. Puerto Rico?
Will the population of China get sick of dying of diseases caused by their disregard for the environment? Or will theontinue status quo for the foreseeable future and become the worlds sole super economy.

Within the next week or so will be the best opportunity within your lifetime to get outstanding interest rates on Greek bonds. Might hit 50%. Put every penny of your 401(K) into this outstanding opportunity.

If you foolishly pass on this fantastic opportunity, be aware that Portugal is next. They're thinkin': "Jeepers, the Greeks stole billions and got away with it. Why should we pay back those German and French arseholes who foolishly lent money to us?"

Why indeed? Gentlemen, I have a grand announcement here. I am going to change my username to......buyportugesebonds.

Within the next week or so will be the best opportunity within your lifetime to get outstanding interest rates on Greek bonds. Might hit 50%. Put every penny of your 401(K) into this outstanding opportunity.

If you foolishly pass on this fantastic opportunity, be aware that Portugal is next. They're thinkin': "Jeepers, the Greeks stole billions and got away with it. Why should we pay back those German and French arseholes who foolishly lent money to us?"

Why indeed? Gentlemen, I have a grand announcement here. I am going to change my username to......buyportugesebonds.
Pass.

Nahhh...not when I can buy a 5,000,000 Reich-Mark bond for $130: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1923-5-000-...965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461c34b4f5

Its a really slow day. Thought I'd try to get some opinions on the above. Greece, well we saw that coming. Puerto Rico?
Will the population of China get sick of dying of diseases caused by their disregard for the environment? Or will theontinue status quo for the foreseeable future and become the worlds sole super economy.

What is interesting is that Germany after WWII had a large portion of their debts forgiven...now, it's Germany taking the hardest line against Greece and debt forgiveness.

Europe as a whole tried the whole "austerity" thing...they cut with a vengeance...it didn't stimulate their economies in the slightest. Greece is now being asked to be even more "austere" but that isn't going to help their economy...it's just going to continue the death spiral.

Seems to me there are three paths:

1. Forgive a large portion of Greece's debt combined with terms of fiscal responsibility that Greece agrees to. Not "austerity" but reasonable measures.

2. Continue to play hardball with Greece, which IMO will only continue uncertainty, and set up a series of points in the future where we play this game of chicken over and over again.

3. Kick Greece out of the EU, they go back on the drachma (which may actually be a good thing for them), and hope the precedent of someone leaving the EU doesn't spook the markets.

What is interesting is that Germany after WWII had a large portion of their debts forgiven...now, it's Germany taking the hardest line against Greece and debt forgiveness.

That is one aspect of all of this that has bothered me. And I think that Greece took an even larger hit in terms of debt repayment by Germany, not to mention reparations.

Of course it's apples and oranges for the simple (yet unseemly) reason that, unlike Germany after the war, no one sees Greece as a threat to European peace.

That is one aspect of all of this that has bothered me. And I think that Greece took an even larger hit in terms of debt repayment by Germany, not to mention reparations.

Of course it's apples and oranges for the simple (yet unseemly) reason that, unlike Germany after the war, no one sees Greece as a threat to European peace.

Maybe not to peace, but perhaps to economic security...and threats to economic security sometimes lead to threats to peace. I certainly get your point, but it feels like there's a better solution than the hardline they are taking.

Maybe not to peace, but perhaps to economic security...and threats to economic security sometimes lead to threats to peace. I certainly get your point, but it feels like there's a better solution than the hardline they are taking.
Oh I absolutely agree with you. Of course I have always felt that the EU would not last because of the wide social, ethnic, cultural and economic disparities between its members. It's a marriage solely of convenience, rather than one of equal partners with genuine bonds (apart from geography).

The Europeans never "cut with a vengeance" failing to stimulate their economies. That's what you'd like to believe because it fits Keynesian group-think. The French talked about it which lead to Hollande being elected and raising their top tax rate to 75% which has damaged their economy and driven his popularity down. The Germans were never in trouble. The Italians...nope, no "austerity". The Scandinavians...make me laugh. Spain? Nope, and their unemployment rate is ridiculous anyway.
Maybe you believe the "austerity" thing happened because of articles you read a few years ago saying it was being discussed. And before you go off on one of your "I'm the smartest guy here and know everything" rants, I live here, in Switzerland, no "austerity" programs here either. I socialize with French, Brits, Scots, Dutch, Danes, Swedes, Swiss and Germans several times a week and their number one fiscal concern is the mountains of government debt they know can never be repaid, not some horrible government "austerity" programs that made the economy here worse, because that didn't happen. About a dozen of us talked at length today at lunch about Greece and not a single one thinks the debt should be forgiven and they don't trust them to stick to any austerity agreement anyway.

As for the fact some German debt was forgiven after WWII, thankfully the lessons learned and mistakes made after WWI were not repeated and the German economy drives everyone else in Europe.

The Greeks dug this hole, now they need to figure out the best way out. The Russians would love nothing more than for the Greeks to vote themselves out of the EU (that's really what the vote this weekend is all about so there will be no "kicking Greece out of the EU") so Putin can ride in on his white horse and "save" them. The number two concern these guys have is Russian aggression. They trust the Germans, they mistrust and fear that "crazy" (in the words of one of the French guys) Putin and the Russians.

I also travel around western and central Europe regularly...the economy here shows no outward signs of recession or collapse due to some evil government "austerity" program which never happened.

The Europeans never "cut with a vengeance" failing to stimulate their economies. That's what you'd like to believe because it fits Keynesian group-think. The French talked about it which lead to Hollande being elected and raising their top tax rate to 75% which has damaged their economy and driven his popularity down. The Germans were never in trouble. The Italians...nope, no "austerity". The Scandinavians...make me laugh. Spain? Nope, and their unemployment rate is ridiculous anyway.
Maybe you believe the "austerity" thing happened because of articles you read a few years ago saying it was being discussed. And before you go off on one of your "I'm the smartest guy here and know everything" rants, I live here, in Switzerland, no "austerity" programs here either. I socialize with French, Brits, Scots, Dutch, Danes, Swedes, Swiss and Germans several times a week and their number one fiscal concern is the mountains of government debt they know can never be repaid, not some horrible government "austerity" programs that made the economy here worse, because that didn't happen. About a dozen of us talked at length today at lunch about Greece and not a single one thinks the debt should be forgiven and they don't trust them to stick to any austerity agreement anyway.

As for the fact some German debt was forgiven after WWII, thankfully the lessons learned and mistakes made after WWI were not repeated and the German economy drives everyone else in Europe.

The Greeks dug this hole, now they need to figure out the best way out. The Russians would love nothing more than for the Greeks to vote themselves out of the EU (that's really what the vote this weekend is all about so there will be no "kicking Greece out of the EU") so Putin can ride in on his white horse and "save" them. The number two concern these guys have is Russian aggression. They trust the Germans, they mistrust and fear that "crazy" (in the words of one of the French guys) Putin and the Russians.

I also travel around western and central Europe regularly...the economy here shows no outward signs of recession or collapse due to some evil government "austerity" program which never happened.

Yes, it's just me saying it.

There isn't an entire webpage of the Financial Times dedicated to "European Austerity."
http://www.ft.com/indepth/austerity-in-europe

The ECB isn't touting austerity.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2b8bf500-0f8a-11e5-94d1-00144feabdc0.html

The BBC isn't talking about it with a country by country look at austerity measures
http://www.bbc.com/news/10162176

There certainly aren't any protests about it (after your "friends" in Switzerland aren't worried about it so no one in Europe must be):
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/business/european-central-bank-protests-frankfurt.html?_r=0

Yes, the Marshall Plan and debt relief after WWII...what horrible ideas that led to such a horrible path for the German economy.

Europe as a whole tried the whole "austerity" thing...they cut with a vengeance...it didn't stimulate their economies in the slightest. Greece is now being asked to be even more "austere" but that isn't going to help their economy...it's just going to continue the death spiral.

Seems to me there are three paths:

1. Forgive a large portion of Greece's debt combined with terms of fiscal responsibility that Greece agrees to. Not "austerity" but reasonable measures.

2. Continue to play hardball with Greece, which IMO will only continue uncertainty, and set up a series of points in the future where we play this game of chicken over and over again.

3. Kick Greece out of the EU, they go back on the drachma (which may actually be a good thing for them), and hope the precedent of someone leaving the EU doesn't spook the markets.
Don't you think it's time for the Greeks to figure out that maybe they need to change some of their social policies and start trying to live within their means? The Greek economy is a disaster, and they have more people living off the government than actually working and paying into their system. It is an unsustainable mess. They also have a ridiculously high percentage of individuals and small businesses that are tax cheats.

If I was Europe, I'd seriously consider letting Greece leave the EU.

There are other PIIGS countries like Spain, Portugal, and Italy that are also in poor economic shape. The Greek contagion will not likely be constrained to stay in Greece. I think this shows up in other PIIGS countries too. It remains to be seen if it becomes this bad.

Largest problem in Greece is that unwillingness to pay/collect tax revenue. I've read that around 90% of the Greeks simply don't pay their taxes. That would go a long way. Ignoring the cultural aspects and challenges (which is impossible) I vote we let countries that can't get credit or default sell of parts. How much could Greece get for Mykonos or Santorini?

Don't you think it's time for the Greeks to figure out that maybe they need to change some of their social policies and start trying to live within their means? The Greek economy is a disaster, and they have more people living off the government than actually working and paying into their system. It is an unsustainable mess. They also have a ridiculously high percentage of individuals and small businesses that are tax cheats.

If I was Europe, I'd seriously consider letting Greece leave the EU.

There are other PIIGS countries like Spain, Portugal, and Italy that are also in poor economic shape. The Greek contagion will not likely be constrained to stay in Greece. I think this shows up in other PIIGS countries too. It remains to be seen if it becomes this bad.

I dont think any of us know the ins and outs of the problems in Greece. I'm sure it's a collection of things. I'm also sure that conservatives always think the only problem is "too much spending on social stuff" and the only answers are "cut spending on social stuff" and "cut taxes."

Now, sometimes yes you gotta cut spending, and sometimes, particularly in emergency situations, that can equal social stuff. If the Greeks aren't paying their taxes that obviously renders ANY solutions pretty much moot since no matter how much you cut, if you aren't getting in revenue from taxation then you aren't going to make any headway.

Certainly cutting Greece loose is an option. Greece can go back to the drachma, figured out their preferred way out, and maybe everyone wins. Relieving their debt TIED to certain actions is also an option. The option that makes the least sense is continuing the hardline austerity push while continuing to make Greece pay a debt it is probably never going to be able to pay.

I dont think any of us know the ins and outs of the problems in Greece. I'm sure it's a collection of things. I'm also sure that conservatives always think the only problem is "too much spending on social stuff" and the only answers are "cut spending on social stuff" and "cut taxes."

Now, sometimes yes you gotta cut spending, and sometimes, particularly in emergency situations, that can equal social stuff. If the Greeks aren't paying their taxes that obviously renders ANY solutions pretty much moot since no matter how much you cut, if you aren't getting in revenue from taxation then you aren't going to make any headway.

Certainly cutting Greece loose is an option. Greece can go back to the drachma, figured out their preferred way out, and maybe everyone wins. Relieving their debt TIED to certain actions is also an option. The option that makes the least sense is continuing the hardline austerity push while continuing to make Greece pay a debt it is probably never going to be able to pay.
If you let one nation off the hook, more will try to do the same thing. If you tolerate bad behavior, you will get bad behavior more times than not.

Greece is another example of the failed economic principles you and your ilk espouse along with Sacramento, Chicago, Illinois, Detroit. There are parallels across the board. To keep pretending it isn't so it just plain ignorant, I'm sorry.

Reactions: SDBoiler1

http://nypost.com/2015/07/02/the-greek-welfare-state-road-to-ruin/
This piece sums it up pretty well.

If you let one nation off the hook, more will try to do the same thing. If you tolerate bad behavior, you will get bad behavior more times than not.

We let Germany off the hook, calamity didn't follow.

So basically they spent a lot and their tax base was really low, remind you of anyone, say mid 2000s? When you spend AND you reduce your tax base, you will have a revenue problem. Whether that reduction comes from purposeful tax cuts or extremely lax enforcement of taxation matters not. You can either spend AND increase your tax base, or you can cut AND decrease your tax base. I suppose you can cut and increase your tax base if you are in a hole. Literally the one thing you cannot do is cut taxes and increase spending.

Reactions: Jedifick
Greece is another example of the failed economic principles you and your ilk espouse along with Sacramento, Chicago, Illinois, Detroit. There are parallels across the board. To keep pretending it isn't so it just plain ignorant, I'm sorry.

that's not a remotely fact-based point since California is sitting in a really good place right now while Texas has issues. Greece and the other places don't even the share the "same economic principles" or the same problems. There is no advocating retiring in your fifties, and tax collection is quite professionally done here. Pensions aren't the only issue and they aren't even in the same boat there.

It's like saying since Soviet Russia fell and communism doesn't work, that must me no liberal economic policies work.

You should read this. On this issue, Stiglitz and Krugman are full of it (no surprise to me).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/costa...-one_b_7722162.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

You've got to be kidding. Not even remotely similar cases or circumstances.

How so? Germany was in debt because it had just raped most of Europe, killed millions, was finally defeated and had its infrastructure destroyed in the process.
Greece is in debt because, according to you, it paid too much in pensions, and it doesn't collect taxes efficiently.

Yeah, come to think of it, Germany was way, way worse.

You should read this. On this issue, Stiglitz and Krugman are full of it (no surprise to me).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/costa...-one_b_7722162.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

From your own link:

"A better deal for Greece is a must. But it has to be accompanied by hard work and well-structured reforms. Stimulus is fine for short run smoothing of economic fluctuations and yes, too much austerity was imposed as a result of internal EU politics."

So, basically, exactly what I've said.
Thanks!

From your own link:

"A better deal for Greece is a must. But it has to be accompanied by hard work and well-structured reforms. Stimulus is fine for short run smoothing of economic fluctuations and yes, too much austerity was imposed as a result of internal EU politics."

So, basically, exactly what I've said.
Thanks!
You're often parroting how Stiglitz and Krugman have the cures to what ails us. I love how you are able to twist most anything around.

You're often parroting how Stiglitz and Krugman have the cures to what ails us. I love how you are able to twist most anything around.

I twisted things by quoting the person you linked to??

Yeah, ok.

I was on vacation this week, but qaz, you're making a lot of assumptions about things we know and things we don't that paint a prettier picture of government spending in Greece than is reality. That you brought California and Texas up points to how little you've paid attention. The cities I mentioned are far more in line with the Greek situation (and Illinois) than Texas. Greece's economy has little in common with Texas' economy and Texas' economic issues have little to do with politics.

I was on vacation this week, but qaz, you're making a lot of assumptions about things we know and things we don't that paint a prettier picture of government spending in Greece than is reality. That you brought California and Texas up points to how little you've paid attention. The cities I mentioned are far more in line with the Greek situation (and Illinois) than Texas. Greece's economy has little in common with Texas' economy and Texas' economic issues have little to do with politics.

I'm not painting a remotely pretty picture about Greek spending. They've done several things wrong:

Spent too much on a variety of things, not just social programs or pension but also defense spending over their ridiculous conflict with Turkey.
Way too much corruption allowing both businesses and individuals to avoid paying taxes.

I've said not that they should be forgiven their debts, end of story, I specifically tied that to concessions on spending and on revenue/tax enforcement.
But as part of 'austerity" the only requirements being placed on them are not on revenue/tax enforcement or even on cutting defense spending which is well above the levels of most European nations, but solely on spending on social issues.

Nowhere in the US has anywhere near Greek levels of corruption, and no, not even Chicago. Nowhere has anywhere near the issues of tax/revenue collection as Greece. No one has anywhere near the debt levels Greece is pulling down. The issues in Greece are not uber complex, and no they are not "liberal" policies. It's not a "liberal" policy to think you can cut revenue and increase spending and borrow your way to success...we did that as a nation under not a liberal Bush.

Greece spent between 2.11 and 2.47% on their military between 2011 and 2014, which is just above the 2% required for membership in NATO. Now, you can say that few countries meet that obligation for NATO membership, but I wouldn't point to that and call it irresponsible spending unless I wanted to try to easily distract those I perceive as ill-informed.

I don't find a lot to disagree with other than the fact that paying the largest elderly population in Europe pensions that are more than double what, say, Portugal does and allowing those pensions to be collected as early as 55 is a "liberal policy" (if not political, it's "liberal" fiscal policy). It's not smart.

Greece spent between 2.11 and 2.47% on their military between 2011 and 2014, which is just above the 2% required for membership in NATO. Now, you can say that few countries meet that obligation for NATO membership, but I wouldn't point to that and call it irresponsible spending unless I wanted to try to easily distract those I perceive as ill-informed.

I don't find a lot to disagree with other than the fact that paying the largest elderly population in Europe pensions that are more than double what, say, Portugal does and allowing those pensions to be collected as early as 55 is a "liberal policy" (if not political, it's "liberal" fiscal policy). It's not smart.

When you are bankrupt and drowning the yes spending over what most European nations do bu percentage is absolutely irresponsible. Name me one place in America with a similar pension setup. Name me one place in America that has that level of corruption or lax tax collection.

Youve spouted one buzz word...pensions as if that's the sum total of Greece's issue and as if American liberal policy equates to make pensions as large as possible but don't collect taxes to pay for them and continue spending in other areas where you don't need to.

Neither is true but at least you can rail against pensions (and liberals) by trying to make Greece uber simplistic and making comparisons that are a mile wide.

When you are bankrupt and drowning the yes spending over what most European nations do bu percentage is absolutely irresponsible. Name me one place in America with a similar pension setup. Name me one place in America that has that level of corruption or lax tax collection.

Youve spouted one buzz word...pensions as if that's the sum total of Greece's issue and as if American liberal policy equates to make pensions as large as possible but don't collect taxes to pay for them and continue spending in other areas where you don't need to.

Neither is true but at least you can rail against pensions (and liberals) by trying to make Greece uber simplistic and making comparisons that are a mile wide.
You compared Greece to Texas. Texas. Thanks for reminding me why I don't engage. I capitulate to every point save one - which is the whole reason Greece is here right now and the cause for the austerity measures in the first place, and you get all bent because that 2.4% of GDP spending on the military is outrageous, but the 18% of GDP spending on pensions isn't (compare to 7% in Ireland and 5% in the U.S.). Bye.

Last edited:
You compared Greece to Texas. Texas. Thanks for reminding me why I don't engage. I capitulate to every point save one - which is the whole reason Greece is here right now and the cause for the austerity measures in the first place, and you get all bent because that 2.4% of GDP spending on the military is outrageous, but the 18% of GDP spending on pensions isn't (compare to 7% in Ireland and 5% in the U.S.). Bye.

Yeah, no I didn't. Read it again. Thanks for reminding me why you never pay anything more than surface attention to anything I type.

I never said "Greek spending on pensions is fine, no problems there." My first post said: "terms of fiscal responsibility that Greece agrees to. Not "austerity" but reasonable measures."
I made several more posts saying there were a host of reasons why Greece was in trouble, then in the very post you quote I say:

"Greece and the other places don't even the share the "same economic principles" or the same problems. There is no advocating retiring in your fifties, and tax collection is quite professionally done here. Pensions aren't the only issue and they aren't even in the same boat there."

A person paying attention or being remotely reasonable would not read that as "Greek pension policy is not outrageous" nor would they read the entirety of what I posted to be "the only thing bad about Greek spending is military spending."

Unless you are responding to a "liberal" caricature of what I posted, in which case, that's exactly what you'd read.

Yeah, no I didn't. Read it again. Thanks for reminding me why you never pay anything more than surface attention to anything I type.

I never said "Greek spending on pensions is fine, no problems there." My first post said: "terms of fiscal responsibility that Greece agrees to. Not "austerity" but reasonable measures."
I made several more posts saying there were a host of reasons why Greece was in trouble, then in the very post you quote I say:

"Greece and the other places don't even the share the "same economic principles" or the same problems. There is no advocating retiring in your fifties, and tax collection is quite professionally done here. Pensions aren't the only issue and they aren't even in the same boat there."

A person paying attention or being remotely reasonable would not read that as "Greek pension policy is not outrageous" nor would they read the entirety of what I posted to be "the only thing bad about Greek spending is military spending."

Unless you are responding to a "liberal" caricature of what I posted, in which case, that's exactly what you'd read.
Some people on here actually have to work at real jobs in order to make a living and don't have time to investigate every single point of contention, especially ones you make (because there are often many to consider) to check for factual basis.

Some people on here actually have to work at real jobs in order to make a living and don't have time to investigate every single point of contention, especially ones you make (because there are often many to consider) to check for factual basis.

Yes, my fake job clearly isn't as good as your real job. I have time to spend five minutes out of my average day making posts on a message board.

Yes, my fake job clearly isn't as good as your real job. I have time to spend five minutes out of my average day making posts on a message board.
Give me a break. You've made 26,909 posts on here since 2003, over 6X as many a I have since 2001.

Give me a break. You've made 26,909 posts on here since 2003, over 6X as many a I have since 2001.

Which is less than six posts a day, ignoring the fact that I make more posts on weekends, evenings, and days off.

You totally got me though.

All I'm commenting on is retirement at 55. In a nation with 30% unemployment I actually find that to be a good idea. Reality is the younger the wage earner the more they borrow into existence and none of this Greek debt is backed by anything but a ledger entry, it's a Ponzi scheme and needs more debt created to continue.

The problem is that before the financial crisis, Greece's employment rate was only 53-ish percent, and that includes their bloated public sector. That's not a recipe for the type of prosperity they enjoyed for the decade or so before this bubble burst. Large scale fiscal mismanagement come home to roost...

All I'm commenting on is retirement at 55. In a nation with 30% unemployment I actually find that to be a good idea. Reality is the younger the wage earner the more they borrow into existence and none of this Greek debt is backed by anything but a ledger entry, it's a Ponzi scheme and needs more debt created to continue.

How about they start collecting taxes, and let's see exactly what their income flow is supposed to be...then from there, one can determine what a reasonable outflow could be. There is a link that shows that some of the similar nations who are not on the Euro have fared better than Greece has on the Euro. It would be interesting to see if going back to their own currency would be beneficial.

How about they start collecting taxes, and let's see exactly what their income flow is supposed to be...then from there, one can determine what a reasonable outflow could be. There is a link that shows that some of the similar nations who are not on the Euro have fared better than Greece has on the Euro. It would be interesting to see if going back to their own currency would be beneficial.

Well, I have heard and read that end of 2014 Greeks owed about 85 billion in taxes, which is less than what they are asking for in emergency funding. So I think there is an issue that needs resolved there.

All that said, this thread took a lot of different turns, some thoughts:

-As for German debt being forgiven after WWII. It was. Not sure how that is even comparable though. Why? Germany when they surrendered, gave up an incredible amount of independence. Rightfully so. Really, nothing of the sort has been asked or forced from Greece-they largely ask for money, that comes from other countries taxpayers, and they have not changed a thing. It seems like an event that goes on every two years. Now, yes, I will grant that they did not start a war with mega atrocities but the point is if their system is completely broke they should adjust it.

-Well, as they say, the problem with socialism is it is great until you run out of other people's money.

-If I were Europe I would be real hesitant to give Greece a penny. The Greek leaders show up at a conference a few days ago, with no written plan as to what adjustments or changes they will make. Really? This after holding a vote that they think the results will get them a better deal, after a deal was basically done. Voting no on the referendum killed that deal. Hey, let them go their own way if they want to so bad.

-I found the debates on here about states some what amusing. Posters want to laud how well CA is doing. Wow. After decades of wild swings, dips, busted budgets, cities going bankrupt, things go well for a year and a half or two years, and now pat them on the back. Much of the reason it is doing well really had nothing to do with the govt of CA and its policies. It is more in spite of them.

-I think some of us might want to look at some of the pension deals being handed out in the USA if we do not think it is on par with the country of Greece. Read and here of way to many state govt workers with 6 figure pensions.

-Still not sure why people have the idea they do about tax revenue, spending, deficits, and debt. Anyway you choose to look at it, the current President and his policies increased debt way more than his predecessor.

Well, I have heard and read that end of 2014 Greeks owed about 85 billion in taxes, which is less than what they are asking for in emergency funding. So I think there is an issue that needs resolved there.

All that said, this thread took a lot of different turns, some thoughts:

-As for German debt being forgiven after WWII. It was. Not sure how that is even comparable though. Why? Germany when they surrendered, gave up an incredible amount of independence. Rightfully so. Really, nothing of the sort has been asked or forced from Greece-they largely ask for money, that comes from other countries taxpayers, and they have not changed a thing. It seems like an event that goes on every two years. Now, yes, I will grant that they did not start a war with mega atrocities but the point is if their system is completely broke they should adjust it.

-Well, as they say, the problem with socialism is it is great until you run out of other people's money.

-If I were Europe I would be real hesitant to give Greece a penny. The Greek leaders show up at a conference a few days ago, with no written plan as to what adjustments or changes they will make. Really? This after holding a vote that they think the results will get them a better deal, after a deal was basically done. Voting no on the referendum killed that deal. Hey, let them go their own way if they want to so bad.

-I found the debates on here about states some what amusing. Posters want to laud how well CA is doing. Wow. After decades of wild swings, dips, busted budgets, cities going bankrupt, things go well for a year and a half or two years, and now pat them on the back. Much of the reason it is doing well really had nothing to do with the govt of CA and its policies. It is more in spite of them.

-I think some of us might want to look at some of the pension deals being handed out in the USA if we do not think it is on par with the country of Greece. Read and here of way to many state govt workers with 6 figure pensions.

-Still not sure why people have the idea they do about tax revenue, spending, deficits, and debt. Anyway you choose to look at it, the current President and his policies increased debt way more than his predecessor.

Well you've got the conservative economic responses down pat.

1. Germany owed more, for much worse reasons. Their debt, much larger than Greece's in constant dollars, and they were able to rebuild their economy much more effectively than having to account for that debt burden or for "austerity." Their economy was "completely broke." That led to good things. Now, the biggest holder of debt to Greece is Germany, and now it's holding folks accountable. Germany didn't pay most of it's debts after WWI, and didn't pay most of their debts after WWII.

2. There are varying degrees of "Socialism." Sweden, and other countries do just fine with it. Germany is certainly more "socialist" than we are, and their economy is booming. But hey...socialism bad is one analysis.

3. Certainly Greece has responsibilities for making sure that they conduct their economic affairs responsibly if they want to stay part of the EU. If they don't meet those responsibilities, then no the EU shouldn't keep them around. Of course, OTOH, if the "reward" for doing so is more loans plus "austerity" then the result is going to be the can kicked down the road and this game will be played every few years.

4. Don't like the California/Texas example? How about the Minnesota/Wisconsin comparison? How about the hot white mess that is Kansas which has embraced every conservative economic policy there is and is in serious debt AFTER cutting taxes and social programs. The point is that "liberal" policies are implemented all over the place. Results are good in some, average in others, not so good in others. Of course, not a ton of places where conservative economic policies have resulted in booming economies, but I'm sure there's an example somewhere.

5 So where are these places in America that approach the Greek pension issue? How?

6. You listed four things: tax revenue, spending, deficits, and debt. Your sum total of all that was that the gross debt increased under Obama. More than other Presidents. Guess what, the debt under Bush increased a lot compared to prior Presidents. Generally speaking, the debt increases as time goes on in raw numbers JUST like the GDP increases in record levels all of the time in raw numbers. That's why Debt/GDP ratio is what matters, not raw numbers. Guess which nation has a higher ratio, Germany or the US?

But by all means, explain to me how the policy of cutting taxes leads to increased revenues and solves debt. And while you are at it, please tell me how one of our greatest periods of economic boom coincided with a top tax rate of 90 percent and higher debt ratios than now if debt is so overwhelmingly the only concern?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT