ADVERTISEMENT

Great effort ladies...

joesue

True Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2001
...rallying from 18 down in the first 8 minutes against Minnesoa, the Boilers battled back, actually leading by 3 with about 6 to go, then fought the Gophers down to the wire with both Bays and Clemons on the bench with with 5 fouls. Another good tournament performance by a team that finished with 10 straight losses and a last place finish. The B1G tournament queens (9 titles) added another positive chapter to this event when nobody expected it.

This post was edited on 3/6 12:03 AM by joesue

Wow, putting lipstick on a pig, still makes it a pig. This was a horrific year, let's be honest. I don't know how Sharon feels, but she should be ashamed that she's let this once proud program get this low. I was moved by the emotion of Bays and Clemons last night. They deserved better. Bays may be the best PU WBB player we'll see in a long time, but she had no help. For whatever reasons, Sharon refused to play her young Centers and played Clemons out of position all season, and with the non existent outside shooting of the guards, Bays was a one woman show offensively and other teams would surround her and frustrate her and it was very sad to watch. I loved her fight but it was like bringing a water pistol to a gun fight sadly. And 2015-16 doesn't look much better! Boiler Up!

Originally posted by joesue:
...rallying from 18 down in the first 8 minutes against Minnesoa, the Boilers battled back, actually leading by 3 with about 6 to go, then fought the Gophers down to the wire with both Bays and Clemons on the bench with with 5 fouls. Another good tournament performance by a team that finished with 10 straight losses and a last place finish. The B1G tournament queens (9 titles) added another positive chapter to this event when nobody expected it.

I get that this was a step up from the past performances during the season. Yes it was a nice effort against a good team. That said, making to the 2nd round of the BT tournament doesn't qualify as a positive chapter with our program in my mind. I can see you are trying to stay positive but your standards for success are different than mine, especially with our past. Hopefully this is a one year thing and we will be a lot better next year. Not saying we will be but hoping things change quickly. If not, well we'll see.

Especially when this was a 6 seed Minnesota we're talking about. Minnesota is not a great team. Purdue was ranked in the top 25 at the beginning of the year, before pollsters realized it was the new Purdue that they were ranking that high, not the Purdue of 10 years ago and should have beaten this Minnesota team by double digit points. I admire their effort in coming back, but you can't win games when it's one player versus 5 and then your one player fouls out.

Boiler Up!
This post was edited on 3/6 9:29 AM by PurdueTim14

Originally posted by joesue:

Thank you (to the Purdue's WBB team) for gutting through a tough season! I am sure this is not what any of you wanted or envisioned at the start of the year, but sometimes you just have to deal with adversity. You women did just fine. You kept fighting throughout the season. Several really close games did not go your way. Some years are like that.

I can only point to the men's team. Last place last year, and now fighting it out for what might be a 3rd or 4th place finish this year. Keep your spirits up and get ready for a better season next year.

Thank you to the seniors of this year. I personally enjoyed your spirited play, and want to thank you for your sacrifices and contributions to my university. Best of luck in the future.

cool.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/6 1:36 PM by mathboy

I applaud the seniors also, and hope that they go on to have very productive lives and represent this great University and it's only a game that we're talking about, but to those of us that follow this team, it's very sad to see it fall so sharply and not continue the excellence that we were blessed to witness for all of those years.

ADVERTISEMENT