ADVERTISEMENT

Got call about renewing my WBB season tickets and informed

destewart

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
them that after 15 years I would not be renewing until a new coach is hired who can restore Purdue to its preeminent position in the Big Ten and Top 10-15 status nationally. They thanked me for my support and I thanked them for calling me.

them that after 15 years I would not be renewing until a new coach is hired who can restore Purdue to its preeminent position in the Big Ten and Top 10-15 status nationally. They thanked me for my support and I thanked them for calling me.
Des..... Makes me feel better to know that I am not alone..... makes me feel even worse to know where we are now with this once great program. Getting it back will not be easy.

Reactions: PurdueTim15
I have renewed my tickets and look forward to an exciting season!!!

I renewed mine, too, Walt. My ex, who attended all the games with me in the past, decided to take a pass this year, but I went ahead and renewed one ticket. I want to see this new class in person, and I have hope that this season will not be nearly as bad as the last. I'm not going to be able to get to every game, but I will be there for most of them. Boiler up!

Reactions: Wheels Of Steel
Hi folks, I have been just an occasional attendee at the women's games over the last 20 years (most often during the Dunn, Fortner, and Curry eras), but for those of you closer to the program, I would be very interested in your perceptions of what has happened to what, at one point, was probably the top program in our entire athletics department.

Hi folks, I have been just an occasional attendee at the women's games over the last 20 years (most often during the Dunn, Fortner, and Curry eras), but for those of you closer to the program, I would be very interested in your perceptions of what has happened to what, at one point, was probably the top program in our entire athletics department.
I have had season tickets since moving back to Indiana 13 years ago. I was excited about CSV coming on board as I thought she would pick up the pace and was a better x's & o's coach. The problem, IMHO is the lack of attention to taking care of the basketball. Turnovers. Unforced turnovers. Sloppy play. Poor fundamentals. From a former Miss Basketball and star point guard, it was not what I expected. Very frustrating to me and those sitting around me.

I locked in my club seat ticket price for 18 years when that option became available. I figured there was no reason I would ever not want to renew my tickets. Last spring I asked about getting out of that commitment. I will honor my commitment, but doubt I will attend any games.

Morgan Burke is committed to this coach and is happy with her "body of work". I am not. The only way we get a new coach is by voting by staying home. Sad choice and bad for those ladies on the team working their butts off. Attendance drop off was noticeable the last couple months of last year. That decline will continue until things change. Maybe Burke is correct and CSV will turn things around. I don't see it happening until we quit turning the ball over 15-30 times/game.

I have had season tickets since moving back to Indiana 13 years ago. I was excited about CSV coming on board as I thought she would pick up the pace and was a better x's & o's coach. The problem, IMHO is the lack of attention to taking care of the basketball. Turnovers. Unforced turnovers. Sloppy play. Poor fundamentals. From a former Miss Basketball and star point guard, it was not what I expected. Very frustrating to me and those sitting around me.

I locked in my club seat ticket price for 18 years when that option became available. I figured there was no reason I would ever not want to renew my tickets. Last spring I asked about getting out of that commitment. I will honor my commitment, but doubt I will attend any games.

Morgan Burke is committed to this coach and is happy with her "body of work". I am not. The only way we get a new coach is by voting by staying home. Sad choice and bad for those ladies on the team working their butts off. Attendance drop off was noticeable the last couple months of last year. That decline will continue until things change. Maybe Burke is correct and CSV will turn things around. I don't see it happening until we quit turning the ball over 15-30 times/game.

Morgan is a being myopic about the situation. No thinking person could assess the Wbb program and find any similarity with the way the program used to be. Notre Dame was Purdue's ugly stepchild for years and almost every Purdue coach had a winning record against the Irish. Adding insult to injury is the fact both PSUnand OSU now have former Irish assistant coaches walking the sidelines and they are both out recruiting us and proving to be formidable competitors in the Big Ten. Well, we can now duck the Irish and avoid a loss to the former "Stepchild" but we have to play the Lions and Buckeyes. Once that once strong Wbb season ticket base is gone he will play hell trying to rebuild it. He has little concept of marketing or the fact that there is no unlimited universe of potential season ticket holders for any Purdue sport team. Lose what you have and you will really have a challenge replacing them and likely will never get them back.

Reactions: PurdueTim15

You have paid for seats but will not attend a SINGLE game? Really. Sorry, but you are not a supporter to the program. Your not attending will not in any way affect Coach's tenure.

"That decline will continue..." until Purdue is in the fight for an upper tier slot in the B1G. That could happen very quickly.. or not. Nobody loves a loser. Winning will change that. The Purdue WBB program has had incredibly bad luck the last few years. I doubt it is primarily the coaching. (Heard the same thing 2 years ago about Matt Painter, now everyone cannot wait for the MBB season to begin.)

Reactions: mathboy
Morgan is a being myopic about the situation. No thinking person could assess the Wbb program and find any similarity with the way the program used to be. Notre Dame was Purdue's ugly stepchild for years and almost every Purdue coach had a winning record against the Irish. Adding insult to injury is the fact both PSUnand OSU now have former Irish assistant coaches walking the sidelines and they are both out recruiting us and proving to be formidable competitors in the Big Ten. Well, we can now duck the Irish and avoid a loss to the former "Stepchild" but we have to play the Lions and Buckeyes. Once that once strong Wbb season ticket base is gone he will play hell trying to rebuild it. He has little concept of marketing or the fact that there is no unlimited universe of potential season ticket holders for any Purdue sport team. Lose what you have and you will really have a challenge replacing them and likely will never get them back.

One strong season with the underclassmen showing promise will repair most of the damage to the fan base. We just need some hope that things are improving. All we have right now is a promising freshman class.

Hope is tempered right now by recruiting a simlarly promising class last year that had very little impact. Add that to a terrible BIG campaine and nobody was happy. We need some of these kids to catch fire, this year. The whole tenor of this board and the other (less Michael) will change.

By the way, I am not terribly impressed by the PSU women's program. I will give you OSU. They are making a nice resurgence, but then again, when has OSU not been a great sports program, in any sport? They call OSU "The Factory" for a reason. All that said, the role reversal with ND bugs the hell out of me. It all seemed to turn on several phanton fouls against a certain Purdue center that gave Riley the chance to win an NC with foul shots.

:cool:

One strong season with the underclassmen showing promise will repair most of the damage to the fan base. We just need some hope that things are improving. All we have right now is a promising freshman class.

Hope is tempered right now by recruiting a simlarly promising class last year that had very little impact. Add that to a terrible BIG campaine and nobody was happy. We need some of these kids to catch fire, this year. The whole tenor of this board and the other (less Michael) will change.

By the way, I am not terribly impressed by the PSU women's program. I will give you OSU. They are making a nice resurgence, but then again, when has OSU not been a great sports program, in any sport? They call OSU "The Factory" for a reason. All that said, the role reversal with ND bugs the hell out of me. It all seemed to turn on several phanton fouls against a certain Purdue center that gave Riley the chance to win an NC with foul shots.

My opinion was based on PSU's strong recruiting. They were very young last year, but finished ahead of our Boilers with a strong senior leader whose talent was wasted on a team so lacking in scoring options.

Can't really disagree about the assessment of our position relative to ND. I like the new freshmen Purdue has coming in. Murphy is very impressive as a high school player. I take a bit of a wait & see attitude when it comes to predicting how well her game will translate at the next level.

As for Penn State - our 2015 class is better than theirs. They got 2 PG's who are 5*. Don't know if you would want 2 PG's on the floor at the same time. We got 3 x 5*s spread across all positions. Seems like we got the better of the deal, at least ESPN thinks so. So far we are out recruiting them for 2016 as well. I am also not impressed by Washington as an X&O coach either, and I smell discontent at that school with their WBB program. All is not well there. But hey, to each our own opinion.

I still think the resurgence in recruiting in WBB, MBB, and football seems to be related to the change in school administration, just as was the fall of recruiting in each of those sports. Just a coincidence? I seriously douobt it.

"Don't know if you would want to play two point guard at the same time" Yea, the last time we tried that..... Figgs, White, Douglas, Kamara, we ended up having to play a lot more games that most seasons.

Reactions: TC4THREE
"Don't know if you would want to play two point guard at the same time" Yea, the last time we tried that..... Figgs, White, Douglas, Kamara, we ended up having to play a lot more games that most seasons.
You are spot on... except Douglas often played the 3 spot, Kamara came in for Figgs IIRC, and White was more of a 2-guard. DId we play with 2 point guards? Maybe, maybe not. They could all handle the ball really well, so I do get your point. It's been a while since then so I might not be as accurate as I'd like in recalling the positions people played.

My point, which seemed to be lost in your response, was that we were out-recruiting PSU in any case, at least if you believe the rankings. Sorry, but I don't get the love-fest for Washington by some here. That was my point.

You have paid for seats but will not attend a SINGLE game? Really. Sorry, but you are not a supporter to the program. Your not attending will not in any way affect Coach's tenure.

"That decline will continue..." until Purdue is in the fight for an upper tier slot in the B1G. That could happen very quickly.. or not. Nobody loves a loser. Winning will change that. The Purdue WBB program has had incredibly bad luck the last few years. I doubt it is primarily the coaching. (Heard the same thing 2 years ago about Matt Painter, now everyone cannot wait for the MBB season to begin.)

I would think that signing a 18 year commitment would justify this person as a supporter of the program. Just because you cannot understand their motivations and disagree doesn't change that imo. To this poster is isn't about the price, but it is about the product. I would wager there is a line for almost every fan of every program. How much can they take before their frustration trumps their enjoyment. That is completely what has happened with the football program and season ticket sales. I know quite a few people that stopped going to games even with paid seats. If there is actually a person out there who attends every sport and game that represents Purdue no matter how good or poorly they play, then they have the market cornered on calling out other folks fandom.

You attribute our current state of the program with incredibly bad luck and doubt it is associated with the coaching. I believe it is more about the talent on the floor and how they are shaped. 10 years is a long time to chalk results up to bad luck.

Admittedly, I will probably still attend all the games. However, it seems the only thing that will get our coach replaced is lack of attendance. After the steady decline in quality of play and early exits of some quality players (I realize that happens everywhere, but it seems pronounced lately) I am not convinced an influx of top tier players will solve the coaching problems.

I am torn as I want to support the players and the program, but believe strongly it is past time for a coaching change. It is painful to watch poorly coached basketball.

BTW: I did not miss a MBB game during our slump. I was a strong supporter of CMP. There was a cancer on the team, he recognized it, he acknowledged he was to blame for it being there, he was pulling his hair out trying to find a cure, and now, I believe all the cancer is gone. The WBB program is a totally different situation.

Reactions: destewart
ADVERTISEMENT