ADVERTISEMENT

Gelen Robinson Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Richards have priors to getting in trouble last off season? If not, I would hope for a consistent and harsher penalty than 2 games. Then again, I could care less about minor consumption. I care very much about DWI.

Good kid...bad decision again.

Big Dog will be getting a few yards of his ass for sure..........

This mess up will only make Gelen stronger and wiser going forward.

He will take his punishment like a man and come back determined.

Boiler Up!

Suspend him 2 games and let him know that if there is a next time he'll be off the team.

Like others have said, it's college. We know a lot of players are going to go to parties and drink, even if you're not 21 (like myself and I'm sure many other alumni did). Just don't get behind the wheel of a car. It can destroy someone else's life and your own in the blink of an eye and you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Really bad decision and you hope the hours he spent in jail were enough to make him realizes that he never wants to be there again.

Second incident. Had a minor violation prior to last year.

Didn't know that. Saw it was a minor consumption. Makes this latest incident even more troubling. I would consider a season long suspension if I were Hazell. Show the players that repeated behavior issues will be dealt with harshly.

It would be better if the two incidents were reversed, at least than you could say that he learned not to get in a car. Makes you wonder how seriously he thinks about his future.

That sucks for Gelen. Would like to see him be able carry on his football career, but 2 incidents in a year - where the 2nd one is an even bigger deal than the 1st - is rather troubling. This squad can hardly afford to be losing one of its better defenders. Will be interesting to see if the staff dismisses him for being a 2nd time offender or lets him off easy with a game or 2 suspension.

my gut says 4 games, and I think thats fair. Im not going to pretend to know if hes a bad, good, or something inbetween, but it does put him on zero tolerance from here on out, Im sure.

We sure have absolutely no one to back him up.

6 games minimum as far as I'm concerned. Set a precedent that we are not going to tolerate it. Took a deferral the first time. They won't go light on him.

6 games minimum as far as I'm concerned. Set a precedent that we are not going to tolerate it. Took a deferral the first time. They won't go light on him.
As much as I hate to agree with such a harsh penalty, 6 games is probably appropriate considering that it is second offense. If he was on the basketball team, Painter would probably dismiss him like he did Gorden Watt.

IMO he's gone, and he should be gone. This was not a first time offense. He was under diversion for drinking which means he had to be extra cautious about obeying the law and not drinking.

What does he do?

Not only he drinks but also drives after doing so!

That is incredibly poor judgement.

As for his first offense: College kids drink... It is just a fact.
Just like the fact that all of us old men get together on message boards and complain that college kids get caught drinking.

As for his second offense: College kids drink.... but don't be an idiot and get behind the wheel!
I don't think he should be dismissed, but a suspension is probably in order this time around.

Reactions: IndyRider
Did Richards have priors to getting in trouble last off season? If not, I would hope for a consistent and harsher penalty than 2 games. Then again, I could care less about minor consumption. I care very much about DWI.

Didn't he get in trouble before for trying to take a boot off of his car with Gerald Gooden?

Didn't he get in trouble before for trying to take a boot off of his car with Gerald Gooden?
Ha! I forgot all about that!

IMO he's gone, and he should be gone.

Wow. I suppose I can see this a little cause rules are rules. For me, I couldnt begin to care a college kid was drinking. It upsets me cops ever write underage consumption. Write them up for disorderly conduct, or whatever the drunken public nusance charge is, or DWI. Find something better to do than underage consumption.

That said, DWI is obviously a whole nother thing. If Im Hazell I make a character decision here. If I think hes a good kid, something like 4-6. If I think hes a problem for himself or the team I send a message.

He definitely needs to be suspended, but as I have gotten older I find myself disliking the idea of kicking college kids off of teams. Kids who get into trouble need structure, the worse thing that can happen is kicking the kid off the team. Idle hands will sin.

He definitely needs to be suspended, but as I have gotten older I find myself disliking the idea of kicking college kids off of teams. Kids who get into trouble need structure, the worse thing that can happen is kicking the kid off the team. Idle hands will sin.

I'm sorry, but being on a full scholarship to play football at Purdue is not meant for babysitting. People who are trouble can go play football at some small school that will welcome them with open arms. They can have their rules there.

I don't know if I'd kick Gelen off the team, but your logic is completely wrong. Ask Selwyn Lymon, Kyle Williams, etc. if that structure and getting multiple chances solved their problems. You can visit Kyle in prison.

my gut says 4 games, and I think thats fair. Im not going to pretend to know if hes a bad, good, or something inbetween, but it does put him on zero tolerance from here on out, Im sure.

We sure have absolutely no one to back him up.
Shane Henley or Antoine Miles have a great opportunity now. We also have Chazmyn Turner, but he is a true freshman. I hope we'll see Jake Replogle get more reps there. This gives us 4 guys to battle as the replacement. There are some who felt Henley would win one of those 2(DE) spots when he got to campus anyway.

If indeed it is his 2nd DWI....two game suspension, two months of working weekends in a Trauma Center or a Hospital Critical Care Unit and the necessary number of wind sprints, up downs, etc! I assume his license will be suspended when the legal system is finished with his case!

It wasn't his 2nd DWI but it was his 2nd alcohol related offense in a year.

4 games, some structure, community service PLUS his sentence from the actual crime and he can come back.

1 more screw up and he's gone tho

Was his first offense just having some alcohol in his system or was he over the legal .08 even though he wasn't driving and was not 21? Caught in a bar? Was he doing anything else illegal at the time?

Was his first offense just having some alcohol in his system or was he over the legal .08 even though he wasn't driving and was not 21? Caught in a bar? Was he doing anything else illegal at the time?

The 1st offense was a minor possession/consumption charge.

What's troublesome is that he's been on campus 12-13 months and has already had two run-ins with the law. The 1st isn't that big of a deal but instead of learning from it he gets a DUI out at 4 am with a BAC of .15. Like I said earlier in the thread, if these two incidences were reversed it would at least show some type of personal growth by learning not to get behind the wheel (and also if they were 3-4 years apart). Instead it looks the a situation where he learned nothing and is being reckless with his future.

2 games is far too little in my opinion. 4-6 would be more appropriate and I would think Hazell would base that on having a long talk with him. Even an entire season, he has a redshirt still so he wouldn't lose eligibility, wouldn't be out of the question to me. See if he really wants to be a Boilermaker through hard work and responsibility or transfer. I think that decision would say a lot about his commitment to Purdue and his future.

I would think Hazell would base that on having a long talk with him.

One would think thats whats taking so long here is making a decision for Gelen and not just blindly looking up his infraction and going with some standard punishment?

Not being sarcastic at all when I say I wish they would shirt him. He needs to be bigger if hes going to play that spot anyway.

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
The 1st offense was a minor possession/consumption charge.

What's troublesome is that he's been on campus 12-13 months and has already had two run-ins with the law. The 1st isn't that big of a deal but instead of learning from it he gets a DUI out at 4 am with a BAC of .15. Like I said earlier in the thread, if these two incidences were reversed it would at least show some type of personal growth by learning not to get behind the wheel (and also if they were 3-4 years apart). Instead it looks the a situation where he learned nothing and is being reckless with his future.

2 games is far too little in my opinion. 4-6 would be more appropriate and I would think Hazell would base that on having a long talk with him. Even an entire season, he has a redshirt still so he wouldn't lose eligibility, wouldn't be out of the question to me. See if he really wants to be a Boilermaker through hard work and responsibility or transfer. I think that decision would say a lot about his commitment to Purdue and his future.

Wonder how many of us had a beer on campus before we were 21? I don't think this is in the same category as the DWI, so I would not think it would warrant more than what has been given out in the past with a promise that breaking the team rules regarding drinking or other serious violation again would result in a year suspension! JMO

Last edited:
I think too many people forget when they were his age! But then again maybe some never got out much

First off, there are varying degrees of offenses. Minor possession, fake ID, etc. - ok, fine. A DUI is NOT an "oh he's just young" offense - especially after he already had the "minor" offense and a short time after for that matter. And it's wasn't an oops, I'm at .081 BAC - he's twice the legal limit.

Do I think he should get kicked off? I'm not sure - we don't know everything and we certainly do not know if there are other issues that the coaching staff does know.

But to act like "oh guys, you are just overreacting" is BS when it comes to someone getting a DUI twice the legal limit. That's flat out dangerous and it's killed thousands of innocent people. There's a reason many people want DUIs to include automatic jail time and there's a reason many countries do have that as a law.

all I am saying is that anyone who did much partying right out of high school, in college or whenever, has driven when over the limit, and the limit use to be higher if I recall, I know because most of my friends and me did it, as did lot of others , just remember what was and I think we turned out ok

all I am saying is that anyone who did much partying right out of high school, in college or whenever, has driven when over the limit, and the limit use to be higher if I recall, I know because most of my friends and me did it, as did lot of others , just remember what was and I think we turned out ok

Um, ok?

First off, I was plenty social through my time at Purdue. I never drove when drinking heavily. Period. My friends didn't either.

Secondly, I had many friends who got in trouble at Purdue. None of them were DUIs. And none of them came within a year of getting arrested for something else.

I'm not saying the guy should be dismissed and sent to jail for the rest of his life - this being an "upgrade" in crime after recently being arrested is what pisses me off the most. His diversion agreement from his previous arrest meant he wasn't supposed to be drinking at all. I know it's "college" but getting arrested multiple times is not really shrugged off these days.

This isn't the 1970s anymore. If you get in trouble twice in a year at many universities, it's an automatic suspension - especially if your second one isn't some minor offense.

To brush it off as nothing is pretty pathetic.

Um, ok?

This isn't the 1970s anymore. If you get in trouble twice in a year at many universities, it's an automatic suspension - especially if your second one isn't some minor offense.
So true; the times have changed. I also think part of the leniency from years ago was probably driven by the fact that technology was so limited compared to today. 40 years ago, only a few people would ever find out if an athlete was pulled for drunk driving and taken directly to his coach's office, supposing that's how the police and university wanted to handle it. Police didn't have to worry about being scrutinized in media because it often didn't make it to print (and even if it did, it might be years later).

Now, the scrutiny is heightened as everything's on the internet for viewing/discussing by billions of people in a matter of minutes. If I'm a police officer today, I'm not risking trying to bury crimes like DUI and letting coaches "handle privately"... that's the kind of thing with the potential to create a community backlash calling for an officer to lose his job. Just imagine if this were Robinson's 2nd DUI and an innocent person was injured, and then we find out that office X let him off the last time he pulled him over for drinking and driver. The backlash would be outrageous and that officer would likely be fired. It's just not reasonable to ask/expect police officers to treat athletes any different from the rest of us these days.

Last edited:
The first offense was underage consumption (basically should be given a slap on the wrist education course like the university will surely give him).

Basically I would treat the DUI as his first offense, 2 game suspension with a probation including 10 PM curfew, volunteer at the ER/ICU, and a 1 year no alcohol (breathalyzer).

The first offense was underage consumption (basically should be given a slap on the wrist education course like the university will surely give him).

Basically I would treat the DUI as his first offense, 2 game suspension with a probation including 10 PM curfew, volunteer at the ER/ICU, and a 1 year no alcohol (breathalyzer).
hopefully he gets this issue under control, the other day I saw that ex Eagle QB Donovan McNabb got pinched again for DUI.

Have him sit in a recliner at midfield holding a cold one while the rest of the team runs until they puke. That will send the message.

You turned out ok? You could have easily killed someone, and then would you have turned out ok? Oh, and never mind the innocent father or mother or child that you could have killed. There should be little tolerance for drinking and driving regardless of age. It's as freaking reckless as firing a gun blindfolded while walking inside a Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT