ADVERTISEMENT

Gelen Robinson-2

GemstateBoiler

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2006
Was I the only one who got a chuckle here? Okay, I see we can't post on the original post on Gelen's arrest since it says it is closed..whatever that is the result of. Never less, all I can say to the headline on the GBI homepage that there would be discipline is, "Oh really, no kidding?"

I know it is just related to what our coach said but I think we all know there will be discipline...duh. I hope so. How much is more interesting to know but not disclosed yet. That doesn't surprise me with sorting these things out. Funny, this reminds me of a forecast that it should rain when it's pouring outside.

Was I the only one who got a chuckle here? Okay, I see we can't post on the original post on Gelen's arrest since it says it is closed..whatever that is the result of. Never less, all I can say to the headline on the GBI homepage that there would be discipline is, "Oh really, no kidding?"

I know it is just related to what our coach said but I think we all know there will be discipline...duh. I hope so. How much is more interesting to know but not disclosed yet. That doesn't surprise me with sorting these things out. Funny, this reminds me of a forecast that it should rain when it's pouring outside.

I understand what you're saying, but it was Hazell's first comments about Robinson since the arrest and we weren't going to ignore that. Obviously, we'd hoped he would have shared the penalty (likely suspension) then but didn't. We'd expect that information to come out this week.

I understand what you're saying, but it was Hazell's first comments about Robinson since the arrest and we weren't going to ignore that. Obviously, we'd hoped he would have shared the penalty (likely suspension) then but didn't. We'd expect that information to come out this week.
I appreciate that. Sorry that I was in an ornery mood that day. My bad.

One side of me says bottom line 4 would be appropriate but other side says even more might be right. Hopefully the light turns on now with this chance to someone who seems like a good kid but not so good of a decision maker.

One side of me says bottom line 4 would be appropriate but other side says even more might be right. Hopefully the light turns on now with this chance to someone who seems like a good kid but not so good of a decision maker.
Stacy, do you see Will Colmery getting any PT this year?

Hey, what did the kid do, have " possible or probable knowledge that the managers were maybe deflating the footballs one or two pounds during skelly drills" this summer? Four games is what you get in the NFL for beating up your girl friend a couple of times.

Word around the Region is that Big Dog had a sit down with Hazell to discuss the issue. No disciplinary action forthcoming.

Word around the Region is that Big Dog had a sit down with Hazell to discuss the issue. No disciplinary action forthcoming.

Hazell already has said it'd be at least a two-game suspension. That'd seem like a disciplinary action to me. Unless you're referencing something else?

I really don't understand Hazell's recent comments that it will be 2 to 4 games. He says it's contingent upon what Robinson does this summer. This comes across to me like it's a 4-game suspension, but Robinson has the ability to work it down to 2 if he keeps his head on straight and does whatever Hazell asks of him. This feels like a NFL-style situation where the initial penalty is never the true penalty because of appeals (save for the Tom Brady case, of course).

If Hazell thinks a DUI is worth 2 games, give him 2 games. If he thinks it's worth 4, give him 4. He's the coach, and he - along with whatever input Burke has - makes the decisions. The ambiguity of true penalty kind of comes across as weakness to me. He seems torn between making an example out of a good player vs. losing a good player for longer than he wants. While that's understandable, he's the coach; he has to weigh the options, make a decision, and move forward. Just pick a number.

Reactions: BoilerBiker
I really don't understand Hazell's recent comments that it will be 2 to 4 games. He says it's contingent upon what Robinson does this summer. This comes across to me like it's a 4-game suspension, but Robinson has the ability to work it down to 2 if he keeps his head on straight and does whatever Hazell asks of him. This feels like a NFL-style situation where the initial penalty is never the true penalty because of appeals (save for the Tom Brady case, of course).

If Hazell thinks a DUI is worth 2 games, give him 2 games. If he thinks it's worth 4, give him 4. He's the coach, and he - along with whatever input Burke has - makes the decisions. The ambiguity of true penalty kind of comes across as weakness to me. He seems torn between making an example out of a good player vs. losing a good player for longer than he wants. While that's understandable, he's the coach; he has to weigh the options, make a decision, and move forward. Just pick a number.

I disagree with your last part. I like the approach with 4 games but maybe 2. A suspension is the easy way out for these kids. Make it a 4 game suspension and then require some extra community service. He does his service, knocks off 2 games. May be even a little 5:00 a.m. conditioning involved. Get creative with the punishment and don't give them the "easy" way out!

I disagree with your last part. I like the approach with 4 games but maybe 2. A suspension is the easy way out for these kids. Make it a 4 game suspension and then require some extra community service. He does his service, knocks off 2 games. May be even a little 5:00 a.m. conditioning involved. Get creative with the punishment and don't give them the "easy" way out!
I'm not opposed to creativity in the punishment, but I am opposed to creativity that leads to ambiguity. I think punishments should be administered as swiftly and as clearly as possible. Hazell is moving slower than Goodell on this thing... somebody needs to tell him there is no Wells report coming on which he can make a decision!

Back to your point, I wouldn't say that a 4-game suspension is the easy way out. It's more simplistic, sure, but I would argue it's not "easy" for the coach, who must replace one of the best defenders on the team for the longer suspension. And I don't think the athlete would agree that's the "easy" (or preferred) route. Kids want to play. If you tell any football player in the country he has the choice between being suspended for 4 games vs. 2 games + a little community service, they're going to choose the latter every time. Because the shorter suspension would be the popular choice from the player's standpoint, I'd argue that's the "easy" option, not the 4 game suspension.

Having said that, I do think there is a strong argument that an intangible societal benefit exists in having any criminals do community service, in addition to actual penalties (fines, incarceration, etc.). And I'm definitely in favor of that. But regarding this particular instance, I still think whatever Hazell wants to do, he should just do it. It comes across - to me - like he's made up his mind that it's going to be 2 games (while stating publicly it could be up to 4), and he's just waiting to tell everyone in 3 weeks what great work Robinson has done in community service work to justify the reduction to 2 games. And that to me feels like weak leadership. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT