ADVERTISEMENT

FYI: Football Scoop says Danny Hope to South Florida...

Yeah, wish him the best.

Thats not an endorsement of his Purdue time. I'll feel the same way about Hazell one day too.

Originally posted by boiler17:
Yeah, wish him the best.

Thats not an endorsement of his Purdue time. I'll feel the same way about Hazell one day too.
I genuinely feel the Hazell era will look and feel different when Shoop is gone.

Hopefully he makes that choice before it is made for him and he's fired. We all see it, I wonder why he can't.

He won't fire him. And if he does he should this year.

As a coordinator there is now a fair sample size- 2 years. Two years of abysmal offenses with minimal improvement (at least yardage wise) and two completely unacceptable performances to close the year against two horrible defenses. Even the "juice box/participation trophy" or "feel good" losses where we were close with upper-middle level games against Notre Dame, Michigan State, Wisconsin, & Nebraska we got limited offense and actually with any kind of scoring early in those games we maybe pull off an upset.

The other factor is the guy is the QB coach and in 2 years has not developed our program QB. Etling regressed or plateaued to the point where he had to bench him. Appelby was a shot in the arm but we end the season not knowing who will start at QB next year.

I think if they were going to make a change they would have done it already. I doubt they fill a coordinator job after signing day, although they did when they hired Shoop. I think our only chance is if Shoop has an old NFL buddy bring him back to be an assistant, and I doubt he does that.

I think Hazell gets 2 more years regardless. If our Offense does not become Top 50 (Shoop's best year at UNC was in the 40s) even Hazell will think Shoop has to go then he will be looking for an OC that will be a potential one year deal. To be fair, Hazell wanted an offense based on the run (or something to that effect at his introductory press conference) so that is what we are doing. But I do not think run is what we are. I think the run is great for certain people, like a Wisconsin, or the pro game for sustained success. But Purdue is not going to be a Big Ten champ year in, year out. I think our ceiling (and I would love it) is 8 wins. Maybe one year you have the 9 win. Heck a 10 win Rose Bowl once every 15 years. If you are not going to win though and be 3-9 and your ticket sales are dropping, at least if you had a fun offense people would come out.

Originally posted by pboiler18:

Yeah, wish him the best.

I genuinely feel the Hazell era will look and feel different when Shoop is gone.

Hopefully he makes that choice before it is made for him and he's fired. We all see it, I wonder why he can't.
I get what you see. I just dont think its going to work out that way.

However, its overwhelmingly likely that Hazell is just as responcible for the O scheme as Shoop is. As a staff, they review every play, grade every player, and talk about what will work next week, etc. Hazell is just as involved in this as Shoop is. If Haz were even getting good effort from his players consistently, I might buy into him. Although, there is some element of every game that is beyond awful. Most times its the O, several times it was the D, sometimes the team doesnt even make it off the bus.

Yeah, wish him the best.

However, its overwhelmingly likely that Hazell is just as responcible for the O scheme as Shoop is. As a staff, they review every play, grade every player, and talk about what will work next week, etc. Hazell is just as involved in this as Shoop is. If Haz were even getting good effort from his players consistently, I might buy into him. Although, there is some element of every game that is beyond awful. Most times its the O, several times it was the D, sometimes the team doesnt even make it off the bus.
Again, I think you really overestimate Hazell's involvement in the offense. He's not calling plays. I don't even think he's making personnel decisions. That shouldn't have to be done by the head coach and it most likely isn't. I'm not saying he isn't involved to some extent, but I think its more day to day activities than hour by hour activities.

That said, if Hazell can't see how bad the offense is/has been then he is part of the problem for sure. I think with a spread coordinator, this year we'd be in the motor city/pizza/detroit bowl again at a minimum...even with all of our shortcomings.

I look for the D to make another jump forward next year....and the offense to be among one of the worst in D1 football.

Which is the problem with the hires of Hope and Hazell both...

Neither one was ever a coordinator on either side of the ball. Hope an OL coach, Hazell a WR coach. Neither guy had their "system" that they believed in. Neither prepared a game plan that was theirs or called a play in the heat of the moment. They just don't have that experience.

Tiller was a DC. So at least Tiller had that game planning experience and maybe knew what plays would hurt a particular defensive scheme. I don't know. I think this is a part of Hazell and Hope for that matter not having that experience or their bread and butter so to speak.

Yeah, wish him the best.

Again, I think you really overestimate Hazell's involvement in the offense. He's not calling plays. I don't even think he's making personnel decisions. That shouldn't have to be done by the head coach and it most likely isn't. I'm not saying he isn't involved to some extent, but I think its more day to day activities than hour by hour activities.

That said, if Hazell can't see how bad the offense is/has been then he is part of the problem for sure. I think with a spread coordinator, this year we'd be in the motor city/pizza/detroit bowl again at a minimum...even with all of our shortcomings.

I look for the D to make another jump forward next year....and the offense to be among one of the worst in D1 football.
You could be right. Hazell and Co. certaintly havent released any insight into this that I am aware of. I know some coaches are more involved than others.

Look at it this way, if he is as involved as I posit, it explains why Shoop hasnt been replaced, and is in line with the predictions of some (not me) that Kent State's system was too simplistic to defend for it to work here. All of the systems we have run offensively have been far to simplistic to defend and far too difficult for us to learn.

If he isnt as involved, especially with the struggles the unit has had, and hes content to not make a change or become more involved, then that reflects poor judgement/management on his part, and makes it even more unlikely things will get magically cured with a new OC.

If hes not watching every down and a heavy contributor to scheme and personell, he is wayyyy too uninvolved. Tiller was less involved in planning than most coaches per various media articles throughout the years and was as involved as I outline per interviews with Tiller and Chaney.

Re: Which is the problem with the hires of Hope and Hazell both...

Hazell was an assistant head coach at OSU for 5 years and when we hired him many of their fans came over here to congratulate us and say they thought at one time he was being groomed for that program.

If Haz has little or no input on play calling then IDK WTF he is being paid to do! Morgan Burke can perform managerial functions for the team for his ivory tower and save the University $2,300,000.00 + bennies a year! If you don't score points, the primary function of the Offense, then you don't win games. That would however explain a lot of what has been happening. You would think after standing on the sidelines for two seasons he would have some kind of clue about what does and doesn't work on O and take on the mantle of HC and do something to make a fix.

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - For the first time since Purdue fired him in November of 2012, Danny Hope is back to coaching college football.

South Florida announced Friday his hiring as their co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. As a co-coordinator, Hope will be in charge of the Bulls' running game.

Miss me yet? Worst season record better than Hazell's best....

danny-hope1.jpg

Re: Which is the problem with the hires of Hope and Hazell both...

Originally posted by Dr_billy_badass:
Hazell was an assistant head coach at OSU for 5 years and when we hired him many of their fans came over here to congratulate us and say they thought at one time he was being groomed for that program.
But we have a sloppy team with too many penalties and poor techniques. That is coaching at the lowest level. If we can not get that right, we are not going forward no matter what the star level we recruit.

There is no doubt in the conference, I think most would say one of the worst OC's in the nation.

There are MAC level teams with more excitement and explosion that Shoop will ever be able to conjure up. I hate it as I think Hazell could have had success here with the right staff. Almost too late now.

Mike Leach would've been fun for the program. We would at least gone down guns blazing. Can you imagine the stiffs in this conservative administration employing kooky Mike Leach, his anima-tronic skeleton, and all his other weird antics?

Happy for Danny Hope! Met him the first year he was at Purdue and have always liked him.

I honestly think that Danny would have won 6 games with Purdue's team this past season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT