ADVERTISEMENT

Football GPA on the rise (link)

Stacy_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
Spring grades out. Though down from last spring's 47, 43 football players had at least a 3.0 GPA.

All four scholarship quarterbacks were on the list, including freshman Elijah Sindelar with a 4.0. Last spring, David Blough had a 4.0. Those guys are super competitive, curious how bad the trash talk is right now ...

LINK: Grades

Reactions: todd brewster
Five of my family members went to Purdue. However, the coach I admired the most was Joe Paterno. His Grand Experiment is what College Football is all about. Joe developed kids on and off the field and it was a pleasure to root for them. I am so glad this is so much a part of Coach Hazell's focus. I want Purdue to win football games, but more importantly I want to see these young men have productive and meaningful lives after their football days are over.

Five of my family members went to Purdue. However, the coach I admired the most was Joe Paterno. His Grand Experiment is what College Football is all about. Joe developed kids on and off the field and it was a pleasure to root for them. I am so glad this is so much a part of Coach Hazell's focus. I want Purdue to win football games, but more importantly I want to see these young men have productive and meaningful lives after their football days are over.

Yep. Too bad the football playoffs are judged on won/loss record rather than GPA.

I do think that sort of accountability translates into the locker room. Take good news as it comes.

I do wonder why I always seem to hear about this with new coaches. I heard about it with Tiller, Hope, and now Hazell. Perhaps something that traditionally slides as a coach quits/gets fired?

Yep. Too bad the football playoffs are judged on won/loss record rather than GPA.

I think you are misplacing your values. College Football should be for the student athlete and the goal is to develop young men by teaching them the value of working hard, teamwork and discipline. This is College Football and not the minor leagues for the NFL.

I think you are misplacing your values. College Football should be for the student athlete and the goal is to develop young men by teaching them the value of working hard, teamwork and discipline. This is College Football and not the minor leagues for the NFL.
Sure. Right on. Just love to sit out in the snow and rain watching the Boilers get it handed to them knowing that they are learning the value of working hard, etc. In case you really have your head in the sand, this is the minor league for the NFL and the BT is not the Ivy League. Fortunately for a lot of young men, their experiences playing football and interacting with other students does serve them well after they find out they are not NFL material. Ask any player on the Purdue team what his immediate ambition is in the next four years and I would bet a lot that most of them would answer to play in the NFL.

Obviously the NFL is the end goal for most guys who play P5 college football. However, to write of the importance off the "Student" part of being a collegiate athlete is incredibly stupid. The fact that our players attend class and do well is something I'm extremely proud of. I'm glad we don't act like it's a minor league and let them run a muck and skip class/take under water basket weaving or some other bull crap class. It's a problem that some don't value the importance of school, and says a hell of a lot about the world we live in. Winning football games is much more important than a kid getting an education, having his degree, and excelling in life outside of football. Obviously I want both but lets not act like the rising GPA is a bad thing. Kudos to the staff, academic support, and players.

Reactions: todd brewster
Obviously the NFL is the end goal for most guys who play P5 college football. However, to write of the importance off the "Student" part of being a collegiate athlete is incredibly stupid. The fact that our players attend class and do well is something I'm extremely proud of. I'm glad we don't act like it's a minor league and let them run a muck and skip class/take under water basket weaving or some other bull crap class. It's a problem that some don't value the importance of school, and says a hell of a lot about the world we live in. Winning football games is much more important than a kid getting an education, having his degree, and excelling in life outside of football. Obviously I want both but lets not act like the rising GPA is a bad thing. Kudos to the staff, academic support, and players.

I don't believe I ever disregarded the idea of being a student athlete. However, to tout a last place finisher in the BT because the GPA is up is just throwing up a smoke screen. It would be nice to have high academics and a winning record but seems unlikely in today's college football environment. Smart and talented football players should be able to out perform dull and talented football players. Untalented players who are smart are not likely to be able to compete.

I don't believe I ever disregarded the idea of being a student athlete. However, to tout a last place finisher in the BT because the GPA is up is just throwing up a smoke screen. It would be nice to have high academics and a winning record but seems unlikely in today's college football environment. Smart and talented football players should be able to out perform dull and talented football players. Untalented players who are smart are not likely to be able to compete.

The idea of rooting for Paterno is disgusting.

The idea of rooting for Paterno is disgusting.

That is a very ignorant statement to make and shows you have no mind for rational thinking. Apparently you still believe what the media reported 3 years ago. You really should research the story, before you post such an idiotic comment. You must believe the Duke lacrosse team is still guilty or Richard Jewell is the mad bomber. My friend plays with Drew Brees and I am sure Drew is disappointed in your lack of comprehension of the facts.

You're right. Hazell is paid $2m to promote academics.

You're right. Hazell is paid $2m to promote academics.

If I paid someone $2 mil, I would want them to make me money. However, more importantly I would want to keep the integrity of my business. Most others disagree and say lets make money anyway we can and lets win football games any way we can; the only caveat is don't get caught and go to jail. I am sorry you just want to win.

If I paid someone $2 mil, I would want them to make me money. However, more importantly I would want to keep the integrity of my business. Most others disagree and say lets make money anyway we can and lets win football games any way we can; the only caveat is don't get caught and go to jail. I am sorry you just want to win.

You said what college football "should be". Major college football coaches are paid to draw fans and win games. Look at the incentives in his contract and you will see what his purpose really is

You are right!

This is why I admired Coach Paterno so much, because he had the guts to stand up for the right thing. I do hope Coach Hazell is given the chance to do the same. I am very excited with the QB's we have now and if a RB can break through along with a WR, then with our OL and D, we can have a good team this year.

I gotta know: Why are you excited about our QB?

If Hazell gets fired its cause he sucks at winning, not sucks at instilling character. Those two arent equal nor does one typically follow the other.

Even as a general guideline going forward, how about we not compare Hazell to the winningest coach in D1 history?

I gotta know: Why are you excited about our QB?

If Hazell gets fired its cause he sucks at winning, not sucks at instilling character. Those two arent equal nor does one typically follow the other.

Even as a general guideline going forward, how about we not compare Hazell to the winningest coach in D1 history?

I do believe you read into what I was saying. I am saying that it looks like Hazell is improving grades and hopefully character and I hope he has a chance to instill this before he gets fired (for not winning). I compare him to Joe, because Joe did both and during an era that started to change from College Football to the NFL Minor Leagues, where winning was the only thing that mattered. What Joe did is not unusual, go rent the movie, Knute Rockne and listen to Pat O'Brien's speech.

Our QB played great last year until he lost his favorite WR, then he had problems. Our redshirt QB will push him for time and our former starter is more than an adequate backup (he will be better having time to reassess his performance, as he played much better in practice than during the game). I know some magazine knocked them, but IMO the writer did not watch the games last year or study the background.

I bet the kids abused by Sandusky would strongly disagree with your characterization of JoePa.

Like you I was swayed by the media three in a half years ago. Ten boys came forward and Sandusky was convicted on 45 of 48 counts. Because Joe was my hero, I delved into the case and it is NOW my conclusion that Sandusky did not have sex with any of them. The only case of eyewitness testimony was from a student coach who saw Sandusky with V2 and a janitor. Since then, it has been revealed that V2 wrote letters to the editor saying that nothing sexual happened that night that they were just snapping towels. More intriguing is that the Judge and the jury convicted Sandusky of a felony from Hearsay Testimony, which did not have a victim or a date when it happened (how does one defend that?). This is pretty convincing to me that the Judge and Jury were caught up in the hype that Sandusky was already guilty and not presumed innocent. However, recently it has been revealed that the janitor had given testimony that the man he saw was NOT Sandusky. For more facts, please go to framingpaterno.com. The big problem is IMO, there are people associated with the Board of Trustees who were taking political and monetary graft from Sandusky's charity and they don't want to even consider giving Sandusky a new trial for what it might reveal.

Like you I was swayed by the media three in a half years ago. Ten boys came forward and Sandusky was convicted on 45 of 48 counts. Because Joe was my hero, I delved into the case and it is NOW my conclusion that Sandusky did not have sex with any of them. The only case of eyewitness testimony was from a student coach who saw Sandusky with V2 and a janitor. Since then, it has been revealed that V2 wrote letters to the editor saying that nothing sexual happened that night that they were just snapping towels. More intriguing is that the Judge and the jury convicted Sandusky of a felony from Hearsay Testimony, which did not have a victim or a date when it happened (how does one defend that?). This is pretty convincing to me that the Judge and Jury were caught up in the hype that Sandusky was already guilty and not presumed innocent. However, recently it has been revealed that the janitor had given testimony that the man he saw was NOT Sandusky. For more facts, please go to framingpaterno.com. The big problem is IMO, there are people associated with the Board of Trustees who were taking political and monetary graft from Sandusky's charity and they don't want to even consider giving Sandusky a new trial for what it might reveal.

Paterno was a slime ball anyway you slice it.

Paterno was a slime ball anyway you slice it.

It is good to know what a education from Ohio State can get you. Fina said two years ago that there is no evidence that Joe was involved in any cover up. In the past year, there are many revelations that Sandusky did not rape anyone, but you feel in your Buckeye heart that Joe is a slime ball because he was not a vigilante.I am sure your parents are very proud of you, If you were any dumber they would have to water you twice a day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT