ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Purdue Game?

I was at a home game vs.PSU in late October 1999 that was really cold.The Nittany Lions hung on to win as Courtney Brown and Lavar Arrington each scored tds for the PSU defense and they got away with mugging Randall Lane on Purdues final drive.I felt the cold much worse that evening than I did when Purdue clinched the Rose Bowl bid in 2000.With that win,I actually felt like Purdue had never lost a game.

Didn't we have the ball on the ten yard line in the final minute and Brees had four straight incomplete passes in the end zone?

Purdue/MSU 1997. I was 10 years old at that game, which was my first PU game. There is almost nothing to compare that comeback to. It was still the greatest one I have seen.

I don't remember why, but I was home when that game was played and not at college that weekend, but I remember by brother calling from Louisiana asking me what happened....he had been watching down there, got mad and left and saw the score scroll across the bottom of the screen at a bar.

lol, My group was feeling sorry for ourselves towards the end. Something happened and fans started to leave while some group chanted 'disbelievers go to h***'. A little intense, but really helped me turn the page on the colletto years.

Some good memories in this thread. I know I already put in my top three games earlier, but there is another that stands out in my mind that no one has mentioned yet. 2003 we're playing Wisconsin in Madison. Late in the 4th quarter, Wisconsin scores to tie the game, 23-23. After the kickoff, we get the ball on our own 17 with less than 3 minutes to go. Wisconsin has all the momentum, and 80,000 Camp Randall crazies are shaking the stadium. Orton takes over and drives us to midfield where he hits Ray Williams for a 36-yard pass, inside the Badgers' 10. With 3 seconds left, Ben Jones hits a chip-shot fieldgoal, and we win 26-23. I've attended lots of games at Camp Randall over the years, but that one stands out because it left the Badger fans utterly stunned.

Reactions: Mullah
I don't remember why, but I was home when that game was played and not at college that weekend, but I remember by brother calling from Louisiana asking me what happened....he had been watching down there, got mad and left and saw the score scroll across the bottom of the screen at a bar.

I was with buddies at the game and we were going to bale and head out to the bars right as MSU was lining up for the field goal. I said something like lets wait and see what happens on the FG attempt. Needless to say, we stayed at the game.

Some good memories in this thread. I know I already put in my top three games earlier, but there is another that stands out in my mind that no one has mentioned yet. 2003 we're playing Wisconsin in Madison. Late in the 4th quarter, Wisconsin scores to tie the game, 23-23. After the kickoff, we get the ball on our own 17 with less than 3 minutes to go. Wisconsin has all the momentum, and 80,000 Camp Randall crazies are shaking the stadium. Orton takes over and drives us to midfield where he hits Ray Williams for a 36-yard pass, inside the Badgers' 10. With 3 seconds left, Ben Jones hits a chip-shot fieldgoal, and we win 26-23. I've attended lots of games at Camp Randall over the years, but that one stands out because it left the Badger fans utterly stunned.

I'm sure it did, but let's not forget the 2000 game there where a blocked FG in overtime gave us the unusual circumstance of having a walk-off, game-winning play on defense. I don't know that I've seen any other OT games ended where one team didn't ever have to take a snap on offense.

Reactions: Mullah
Didn't we have the ball on the ten yard line in the final minute and Brees had four straight incomplete passes in the end zone?
Yes,you are correct,but Randall Lane got held on at least one play,and nothing was called.In that game,Purdue was ahead by one touchdown late in the first half and the PSU quarterback was sacked deep in Nittany Lion territory on third down.On fourth down they punted ,and the ball bounced off the back of a Purdue player who was running upfield,and he couldn't have seen the ball coming.Psu recovered the live ball,and scored on a long pass to tie the game at halftime .PSU was no 2 in the country coming into that game,but they sure didn't have much of an offense.On one play a Penn State defensive back ran onto the field just as Purdue snapped the ball,and tackled the Purdue receiver who might have scored otherwise.As usual,most of the breaks went Joe Pas way.

People had left the stadium in droves. It seemed like there was not many people left. My dad said we stayed because we drove 4 hours and paid money to watch it so we were going to stay. Plus it was my first PU game so he didn't want to make me leave early. Needless to say I'm glad we didn't.

A lot of the guys on the team got together after the game at one of the player's apartments to watch a big boxing match. Everyone was making fun of Rosie for being so gassed at the end of his return. He was more than happy to take the ribbing.

Yes,you are correct,but Randall Lane got held on at least one play,and nothing was called.In that game,Purdue was ahead by one touchdown late in the first half and the PSU quarterback was sacked deep in Nittany Lion territory on third down.On fourth down they punted ,and the ball bounced off the back of a Purdue player who was running upfield,and he couldn't have seen the ball coming.Psu recovered the live ball,and scored on a long pass to tie the game at halftime .PSU was no 2 in the country coming into that game,but they sure didn't have much of an offense.On one play a Penn State defensive back ran onto the field just as Purdue snapped the ball,and tackled the Purdue receiver who might have scored otherwise.As usual,most of the breaks went Joe Pas way.

Don't tell PSU fans that...they're convinced they are the target of a vast B1G officiating conspiracy.

My favorite Purdue game was '86 Bucket game where they let Rod Woodson played offense. He had nearly 100 yards rushing, nearly 100 yards receiving, did his thing on defense naturally, and ran back a blocked kick for a touchdown.

Last edited:
My favorite Purdue game was '86 Bucket game where they let Rod Woodson played offense. He had nearly 100 yards rushing, nearly 100 yards receiving, did his thing on defense naturally, and ran back a blocked kick for a touchdown.
And every fan wanted to know just why the hell they'd waited 'til the last game of his career to utilize his abilities.

Gosh you guys must be young. 1969 against Stanford. Phipps vs Jim Plunkett. The most awesome QB duel ever. Phipps hit on his last 13 straight passes to bring us back from two TD's down. Then he hit a pass for a 2 point conversion to win with under a minute to play.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Gosh you guys must be young. 1969 against Stanford. Phipps vs Jim Plunkett. The most awesome QB duel ever. Phipps hit on his last 13 straight passes to bring us back from two TD's down. Then he hit a pass for a 2 point conversion to win with under a minute to play.
Love it! Similar in scope (if not in influence) to the 1981 PU-Stanford game: Campbell vs. Elway. Down 8 late, the defending Pac 10 MVP could not get into end zone with a chance to tie. Came close though. May have been Jim Young's last hurrah.

Certainly a conversation we have had before: Im interested in what peoples favorite games are. Ive been going to season tickets since 93 when I was in middle school.

1. @MSU in 02. Game went down to the last drive, and the away section rocked it that day. I often really enjoy away games because the Purdue crowd seems more into it.

2. ND in 97. I will never forget the ND fans behind me asking "Why would you do that?" repeatedly about their new OC.

I'll also give an honerable mention to Wisky 2004 and ND 2012. Both heartbreaking losses, but fantastically entertaining games.
(1)The most exciting (Ross-Ade filled with electricity) game I've experienced at Purdue was the 1965 upset of ND. The game was on national TV ( a big deal at the time) and served to propel our Boilers a year later into the Rose Bowl (a W over U$C) and eventual #1 ranking in 1968. The W over ND was Bob Griese's finest game at Purdue as the final 1:21 of the game turned around the fortunes for both teams.
(2)We were primed for another such game when in 2004 we entered RA at ESPN Game Day with JPC supplied "Orton for Heisman" buttons. But, it didn't turn out that way.
(3)The Ws over UofM and TOSU ( both come from behind "upsets") in 2000 were exciting, but strangely the stomping of the Hooshires under the lights to propel our Boilers to the RB for the season finale was the ultimate experience in Ross Ade that season as we all charged the field.

Lots of good responses on this post, especially rgarlitz, BUT, the replies show the youth of the posters. Having watched Purdue games since 1953, and having cheered my butt off many, many times, there are four games that stand out in my mind as the BEST Purdue games, one of which was a loss. The earliest was the 1953 win over top ranked Michigan State. We won 6-0, and our only other win that season was our usual beating of the team down south. MSU had won something like 23 straight games, and was a unanimous #1 team. The second game was 1965 against ND, also ranked #1 . It was a perfect day for football, and it was Bob Griese' coming out party. He was 19 of 22 in the passing game, and we won the game. It Was also the game where Fat Jack turned from a hyper- conservative coach into an innovative coach whose teams were in the Top Ten for the rest of his career. The third game was a loss. In 1964 in perhaps the worst weather I have seen in Ross Ade Purdue played highly ranked MSU, the national champs the next year. We were also highly ranked. We had the game won; State had like 4 th and 22 near midfield. On the play the MSU qb was chased way behind the line of scrimmage, and he tossed the ball as far as he could downfield. The pass was a good 15 to 20 yards beyond the receiver and the Purdue defender. Our guy merely stopped and the MSU player ran into him. The ref, making the worst call ever seen in Ross Ade, called pass interference. After the first down, State scored, maybe a FG, I don't know because I was too pissed to see anything but red. Two important things came from that play. One was that MSU went to the Rose Bowl, not Purdue, and the other was that this play led to the " catchable ball" rule on interference. The fourth game was the 2000 win over Ohio State. That pass will forever be etched in my mind. The alternative games were Orton's fumble against Wisky and the game at Penn State where the referees were fired, not suspended, according to my memory. Go Boilermakers!

if I remember correctly, and I may have the wrong PSU game in mind, but that long pass for a touchdown just before half set an NCAA record for the shortest- held td pass in history. # 2, an All American, literally dropped the pass as he caught it. The engineering professor seated behind us gave me my first understanding of what a nano second is.

Certainly a conversation we have had before: Im interested in what peoples favorite games are. Ive been going to season tickets since 93 when I was in middle school.

1. @MSU in 02. Game went down to the last drive, and the away section rocked it that day. I often really enjoy away games because the Purdue crowd seems more into it.

2. ND in 97. I will never forget the ND fans behind me asking "Why would you do that?" repeatedly about their new OC.

I'll also give an honerable mention to Wisky 2004 and ND 2012. Both heartbreaking losses, but fantastically entertaining games.
Regarding #2, the '97 Notre Dame game, we were at a post game tail gate with Phil Scaletta, a beloved law professor in Krannert. Six ND fans included themselves into our party of winners, and they spent an hour whining and grousing, as ND and UM fans are want to do after losses, about their coach and quarterback. Fed up, I stood up and said, " Why don't you guys get a life?" There was a momentary silence, and then the Purdue contingent began hootin and hollaring. The red faced ND fans never said another word, and they left three or four minutes later.

one more thing about games that I really, really enjoyed, I would have to add ANY GAME AGAINST ANYONE IN WHICH BO SCHEMBECHLER LOST. I apologize for the caps, and I know that they are not cool on the message board, but I lived in the western suburbs of Detroit for sixteen years while BS was coach of The Arrogant Asses from Ann Arbor, as coach Rogers at Michigan State so aptly named them. Bo and his fans made ND fans seem positively wonderful and delightful.

ADVERTISEMENT