ADVERTISEMENT

Etling

Man that sucks. I really liked him. I know he was comically bad at times, but he had some nice days in 2013 when it looked like he was the only one trying and I'll remember him for that.

Hopefully, this isnt a sign of overall program turmoil and just means its obvious he wont play before the 3 other qbs!

Reactions: rgarlitz
The kid couldn't even complete short passes on a normal basis, stood a better chance throwing the deep ball. Cmon your a D1 QB...smh! Good kid but overrated talent coming out of high school IMO. Wish him well but at least we get to add another position player to the class next year.

Wish him well, so it seems like he saw or felt the writing on the wall with the other three QB's! I would still seek out a QB for this next recruiting class, if who you want is or becomes available go for it. The old unwritten rule is you bring in 1 QB in every class, with injuries and grades you need one in each class especially since we still don't have one that has made it through an entire season in quite awhile!

The kid couldn't even complete short passes on a normal basis, stood a better chance throwing the deep ball. Cmon your a D1 QB...smh! Good kid but overrated talent coming out of high school IMO. Wish him well but at least we get to add another position player to the class next year.

I don't think he was overrated. I think we threw him to the Sharks way before he was ready. How many NFL QBs were starters as true freshman? There's a reason that number is minuscule.

I don't think he was overrated. I think we threw him to the Sharks way before he was ready. How many NFL QBs were starters as true freshman? There's a reason that number is minuscule.
Yes he played to early AA should of got the snaps instead but he still couldn't complete passes in his somp. season. If AA was the QB that took over instead, Danny would be in the same position he is today ( on the bench).

Yes he played to early AA should of got the snaps instead but he still couldn't complete passes in his somp. season. If AA was the QB that took over instead, Danny would be in the same position he is today ( on the bench).

I doubt he would be in the same position. A redshirt year to adjust and learn would have done him wonders. He was expected to do too much way too soon

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
Agree Nat. None of the mechanic/timing problems Etling had in 2014 were present in 2013. He even threw really good deep balls that all went out of bounds a year later. Henry/Hunt/Mostert absolutely should have run read option all year while adapting the youngsters to what you want to do on the scout team while they shirt.

I doubt he would be in the same position. A redshirt year to adjust and learn would have done him wonders. He was expected to do too much way too soon
Yes I agree he becomes a better player if he sat out but 3 years later he's still the backup and probably would of been 3rd if not 4th string this year. Not saying the same thing could of happened to AA, just want a QB that can get the job done! It's just been so frustrating the last few years so it makes it hard to agree.

Agree Nat. None of the mechanic/timing problems Etling had in 2014 were present in 2013. He even threw really good deep balls that all went out of bounds a year later. Henry/Hunt/Mostert absolutely should have run read option all year while adapting the youngsters to what you want to do on the scout team while they shirt.
no surprise to me either, I thought he might have left after the season was over. Should have been shirted and probably will wind up at a place like W. Mich. I could see a team like Iowa checking in on him too. They always have decent O Lineman to protect the QB.

The good news for him is that he has to shirt so he can get into a new system, work on fundamentals/playbook and hit the ground running. I think he could start for bottom teir p5 schools.

I wouldnt feel that way about him if Henry and Applebee did much better, but they havent.

Iowa is almost as good at killing qb progression as we are at the moment. I would want to go somewhere with a spread/Orton like offense if I were him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT