ADVERTISEMENT

Election Reform

qazplm

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
1. National Election Day should be a Federal Holiday. You shouldn't be forced to miss a vote, or to stand in line for hours and hours after work (if you can get there before the polls close) because you can't afford to miss a day of work or you will be fired.

2. Registration at 18, just like Selective Service. Everyone should be registered at 18. If we can do it for selective service, we can do it for voter registration. You want to worry about voter fraud and IDs? Then issue them at 18 to all citizens.

3. Early voting. There is no reason why in the 21st century with a population of 300+ million people, that we should have one part of one day for voting. If you aren't going to have a federal holiday, then spread voting over a week-long period. Put strict laws on exit polling (as best you can without violating the 1st Amendment) or other ways of leaking out the results. This would mitigate travel/time issues for the working poor, elderly, and others.

4. Redistricting should either be done by bipartisan committees or by computer. No more the party in charge gets to write the rules to make it more favorable to them for the next ten years. And yes, I know Democrats would do it if they were in charge too. It's wrong either way.

Reactions: ecouch
1. National Election Day should be a Federal Holiday. You shouldn't be forced to miss a vote, or to stand in line for hours and hours after work (if you can get there before the polls close) because you can't afford to miss a day of work or you will be fired.

2. Registration at 18, just like Selective Service. Everyone should be registered at 18. If we can do it for selective service, we can do it for voter registration. You want to worry about voter fraud and IDs? Then issue them at 18 to all citizens.

3. Early voting. There is no reason why in the 21st century with a population of 300+ million people, that we should have one part of one day for voting. If you aren't going to have a federal holiday, then spread voting over a week-long period. Put strict laws on exit polling (as best you can without violating the 1st Amendment) or other ways of leaking out the results. This would mitigate travel/time issues for the working poor, elderly, and others.

4. Redistricting should either be done by bipartisan committees or by computer. No more the party in charge gets to write the rules to make it more favorable to them for the next ten years. And yes, I know Democrats would do it if they were in charge too. It's wrong either way.

1. The national holiday idea is an interesting one. Many countries also have elections on a Saturday. However, both of these would also mean limited public transit opportunities, which would actually make it harder for many people.

3. Early voting is a mixed bag for me. I think some states have gotten things a bit out of control with how long early voting goes on. There isn't really a problem with "leaking" results of exit polls. But obviously with elections these days, campaigns run for so long and if someone casts a ballot a month before the actual election, a lot can happen between then and election day in terms of the campaigns. I think early voting should be done within 2 weeks of an election.

4. Redistricting is really out of control. It actually amazes me so many of them have stood up in court.

Overall, voter participation in elections is a mixed bag. Unfortunately, many Americans just do not pay attention or make an effort to be knowledgeable on subjects. This goes for Democrats and Republicans - people who vote and don't vote. Unfortunately, that will probably not change with any of these kinds of changes - more so the education system in this country.

1. The national holiday idea is an interesting one. Many countries also have elections on a Saturday. However, both of these would also mean limited public transit opportunities, which would actually make it harder for many people.

3. Early voting is a mixed bag for me. I think some states have gotten things a bit out of control with how long early voting goes on. There isn't really a problem with "leaking" results of exit polls. But obviously with elections these days, campaigns run for so long and if someone casts a ballot a month before the actual election, a lot can happen between then and election day in terms of the campaigns. I think early voting should be done within 2 weeks of an election.

4. Redistricting is really out of control. It actually amazes me so many of them have stood up in court.

Overall, voter participation in elections is a mixed bag. Unfortunately, many Americans just do not pay attention or make an effort to be knowledgeable on subjects. This goes for Democrats and Republicans - people who vote and don't vote. Unfortunately, that will probably not change with any of these kinds of changes - more so the education system in this country.

1. Maybe, but folks would still have all day to get there. Both parties could organize to get folks to the polls that need transportation. That already happens anyways. I think between the two evils, having less public transportation is less of a problem than I can't leave work in time to get there at all. Still, the week long voting would solve this issue as you wouldn't need a national holiday as nearly everyone gets at least one day off a week.

3. I'm fine with making it the two weeks before an election, but I'm not sure how length equates to control. Cost might be an issue, it takes money to keep a polling place open, but the fewer people you have each day, the more control you have because you aren't swamped.

4. It is ridiculous that we effectively let the winners of one election at just the right time control the redistricting for the next 10 years. For those republicans in favor of it, 2020 is a Presidential election year, which means turnout among traditionally Dem groups will be higher...thus, some of the gander will be getting what the goose got. Neither result is good for democracy.

More people voting may lead to more people becoming educated on the issues and candidates. Certainly if you have blocks to voting, you are less likely to do so.

1. Yes. With a holiday I would hope to eliminate all of the polling games. Back when I was expected to work a normal day, it was impossible for me to vote and lines were prohibitive. Precincts were purposely squeezed to allow old people to vote. I know, I'll vote ab/early! Who knows where that goes. Part of the process is going and pulling the lever. If we can shut down the country for Jesus we can shut it down to vote.

2. Yes. Have to figure out how to get females.

3. Need more info. Out of the gate, no.

4. This is an actual comedy. Gerrymandering is out of control. It is time to bring logic and mathematics into this discussion. There are some insane districts.

This is one of the more interesting threads going. I wish there was more of a response.

1. Yes. With a holiday I would hope to eliminate all of the polling games. Back when I was expected to work a normal day, it was impossible for me to vote and lines were prohibitive. Precincts were purposely squeezed to allow old people to vote. I know, I'll vote ab/early! Who knows where that goes. Part of the process is going and pulling the lever. If we can shut down the country for Jesus we can shut it down to vote.

2. Yes. Have to figure out how to get females.

3. Need more info. Out of the gate, no.

4. This is an actual comedy. Gerrymandering is out of control. It is time to bring logic and mathematics into this discussion. There are some insane districts.

This is one of the more interesting threads going. I wish there was more of a response.

Why do you need more info for early voting? What's the downside to making it more than an approximately 12-15 hour one day event on a work day for 330+ million people to vote? The only possible downside I see raised is somehow it makes it easier to commit voter fraud. I don't get how it would be easier to commit voter fraud when both voters and election organizers have a leisurely week or two both to vote and to check for voter fraud versus one frantic day.

Why do you need more info for early voting? What's the downside to making it more than an approximately 12-15 hour one day event on a work day for 330+ million people to vote? The only possible downside I see raised is somehow it makes it easier to commit voter fraud. I don't get how it would be easier to commit voter fraud when both voters and election organizers have a leisurely week or two both to vote and to check for voter fraud versus one frantic day.

Except it's not really an issue...

Except it's not really an issue...

Oh I agree completely, but it's the very reason being used against early voting...see e.g. Christie's response to Clinton's proposal for universal early voting and that she must want rampant voter fraud.

Oh I agree completely, but it's the very reason being used against early voting...see e.g. Christie's response to Clinton's proposal for universal early voting and that she must want rampant voter fraud.

IMO, the whole "issue" of voter fraud is simply a red herring as I am sure you would probably agree. If it is as rampant as we are led to believe, why aren't the people just prosecuted and made an example of? Instead all we ever hear are just anecdotal tales or rumors. It would seem that absentee ballots have the greatest risk of being fraudulent and is there any provision for voter ID when it comes to these types of ballots? Do we really know who filled the ballot out? I have never voted absentee so I am asking this as a legitimate question.

On the topic of gerrymandering, it seems to me that congressional districts should be drawn using existing natural borders or geographical areas like counties, cities, townships, precincts, etc...Naturally not all of these areas will have similar populations so they could be divided into smaller areas in heavily populated areas and grouped together in less populated areas. People within the same district should have some commonality with their fellow voters rather than having a narrow swath of area that might got on for dozens and dozens of miles across several counties.

On the tallying of the votes, I think we should still have paper ballots as I believe electronic voting machines may not be that reliable. Every election we hear stories of someone pushing Candidate A's button but it registers for Candidate B. Plus, it seems that hackers can get into just about anything they set their minds to these days so if you are going to use electronic tallying, at least have a paper ballot back up system in cases of recounts or challenges. If one votes on an electronic machine, there is no backup as far as I know. It simply goes into a data bank that could be hacked.

IMO, the whole "issue" of voter fraud is simply a red herring as I am sure you would probably agree. If it is as rampant as we are led to believe, why aren't the people just prosecuted and made an example of? Instead all we ever hear are just anecdotal tales or rumors. It would seem that absentee ballots have the greatest risk of being fraudulent and is there any provision for voter ID when it comes to these types of ballots? Do we really know who filled the ballot out? I have never voted absentee so I am asking this as a legitimate question.

On the topic of gerrymandering, it seems to me that congressional districts should be drawn using existing natural borders or geographical areas like counties, cities, townships, precincts, etc...Naturally not all of these areas will have similar populations so they could be divided into smaller areas in heavily populated areas and grouped together in less populated areas. People within the same district should have some commonality with their fellow voters rather than having a narrow swath of area that might got on for dozens and dozens of miles across several counties.

On the tallying of the votes, I think we should still have paper ballots as I believe electronic voting machines may not be that reliable. Every election we hear stories of someone pushing Candidate A's button but it registers for Candidate B. Plus, it seems that hackers can get into just about anything they set their minds to these days so if you are going to use electronic tallying, at least have a paper ballot back up system in cases of recounts or challenges. If one votes on an electronic machine, there is no backup as far as I know. It simply goes into a data bank that could be hacked.

Absentee voting is just another form of early voting. I'm not going to be around on election day for various reasons so let me just mail it in. But as you say, for some reason, folks don't seem up in arms about absentee ballots like they do about weekend voting. Why? Because weekend voting helps get out the poor, and minorities, and they often favor one party over another.

I don't know that I agree with using geography. sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. It seems to me a perfectly representative redistricting process would factor in commonality and geography, but would also include other factors. Some districts will have commonality, but others will not...particularly when you are talking urban centers.

I think electronic machines with a certified paper trail are the best, but we need to have a nonpartisan commission that vets and approves the companies that produce the machines, not only for possible bias, but to insure that the company is properly protected from hacking.

Even paper ballot tallies eventually end up in a spreadsheet or some other process that is hackable...having the paper trail gives you the best of both worlds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT