ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards doesn't make final cut

I thought Vince might get the nod over a couple of the high school guys (maybe Juwan Evans or Terrance Ferguson) or L.J. Peak from Georgetown. He can show those coaches what they're going to miss out on by spearheading a great Purdue team next season.

Too bad. I don't know enough about the other players to comment, but they must be really solid to have beaten VE out, or the staff made a big mistake. It is encouraging that Swanigan made the squad when some say he is just a big brute that outmuscled other HS kids.

Obviously a great experience for Edwards, this may only further motivate him to be even better. You're doing a great job Vince! BTFU!

JJ and Smooge both got cut too IIRC. Hummel made the squad. He should be proud he was invited and even prouder that he lasted until the final cut. I'm sure he knows what he needs to work on now more then ever to make that next giant step up the ladder.

Just looked at his recruiting profile - ranked 124 nationally. To go from that to one of the top 15 kids in the country his age or younger who are in consideration to represent the country, that shows how far he has progressed in just a year.

JJ and Smooge both got cut too IIRC. Hummel made the squad. He should be proud he was invited and even prouder that he lasted until the final cut. I'm sure he knows what he needs to work on now more then ever to make that next giant step up the ladder.

Only jj got cut. Smooge was not invited.

I thought Vince might get the nod over a couple of the high school guys (maybe Juwan Evans or Terrance Ferguson) or L.J. Peak from Georgetown. He can show those coaches what they're going to miss out on by spearheading a great Purdue team next season.

I thought Juwan would get cut but he was a McDonald's All American so he is really good, just thought they would have filled up on guards but apparently not. No way was Furguson getting cut. Kid played on 2 previous USA teams, 1 of which was the same U17 team that Biggie won gold with where Furguson played a huge role for that team, a bigger role than Swanigan played.
LJ Peak is that athletic, large guard/forward type, didn't surprise me he made it. What did surprise me was Chinanu Onauku made it. Not only did he make it but made it over Vince. That's one is a head scratcher.

"LJ Peak is that athletic, large guard/forward type, didn't surprise me he made it."

I believe that Edwards fits the same type of description.

VE had better overall stats as a frosh than Peak did. Peak could have just peaked at the right time in these tryouts, but this goes to show that Vince outperformed him on the court this past season, so a case probably could be made to pick him over L.J. Peak.

some of Edwards' frosh stats: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3136989/vince-edwards

some of Peak's frosh stats: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3149030/l.j.-peak

Boiler Up

"LJ Peak is that athletic, large guard/forward type, didn't surprise me he made it."

I believe that Edwards fits the same type of description.

VE had better overall stats as a frosh than Peak did. Peak could have just peaked at the right time in these tryouts, but this goes to show that Vince outperformed him on the court this past season, so a case probably could be made to pick him over L.J. Peak.

some of Edwards' frosh stats: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3136989/vince-edwards

some of Peak's frosh stats: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3149030/l.j.-peak

Boiler Up

Georgetown was arguably a better team than Purdue and Peak played behind better players. I agree with you that Vince is better but he isn't that athletic. Peak is really athletic. Would be the most athletic player on our team if he were with us. Let's not turn this into a debate where people think I am saying Vince is unathletic, just saying he isn't super athletic like Peak is.

Reactions: BoilerDeac

I have always wondered why E. Moore is/was referred to as "Smooge." Where did that come from and what does it mean? Just curious...thanks.

Because he was asked about it in an interview and told people. Not really a huge deal.

I concur. In retrospect, it is probably the most insignificant deal I have ever contemplated. I had just always wondered what it meant and apparently it meant nothing.

Thanks. I wonder how anyone would know what his grandmother called him. Interesting and weird, but thanks nonetheless.

Yeah, isn't it odd what people learn when they read.

But it probably isn't nearly as weird as some of the things your grandmother called you.

ADVERTISEMENT