ADVERTISEMENT

Dylan Ennis list

pharoutengineer

Sophomore
Oct 4, 2002
Evan Daniels tweeted the following list for Ennis: Purdue, Illinois, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia Tech, Baylor, Oregon & Duke.

GBI seems to think he will visit.

He seems like he would be a huge pickup. Described as Villanova's best on-ball defender. Lots of athleticism.
Watching this video, he also seems like a nice kid with a good head on his shoulders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PdfVQFKhtU

I don't think the list is in any particular order. Duke is listed last. I highly doubt they are the bottom of his list.

Purdue-bias aside, I do think we're a perfect spot for him. We have a chance to be REALLY good with him. He'll be surrounded with a lot of talent and experience, yet he'll firmly be the PG.

There are more unknowns and question marks at other places that could easily interfere with his role on a particular team. With only 1 year of eligibility remaining, we look like a promising (in terms of how good we can be) and more stable/less risky situation (in terms of his role and what he'll be able to showcase for himself).

BIG life, BIG stage BIG TEN. Exposure isn't a problem, just ask JO. Make a spectacular play and make ESPN's top 10 list.

Agree with your post. Although Thompson does have another year of growth, Ennis would probably come in and average at worst 25-30 minutes a game and be looked at to increase his scoring role within the offense as a dribble-drive option to go along with outside shooters in Mathias, Stephens, Edwards, and Cline (Davis to a lesser extent). If you could pair him up with Davis along with 2 of the 4 previous listed shooters and a big man in Hammons and Haas, you would have a killer motion offensive style of team but also a great defensive team.

This would be a team with 3 legit potential DPOY candidates starting at Purdue. That would sure be something to boast next year in a league that looks to be stronger next season. I, for one, would love to see Ennis and Davis switching to really put pressure on a team's best guard/wing player to essentially negate that player BUT also allow Purdue to not have some Joe Schmoe kill us when that has happened.

Originally posted by klmLB:
I don't think the list is in any particular order. Duke is listed last. I highly doubt they are the bottom of his list.

Purdue-bias aside, I do think we're a perfect spot for him. We have a chance to be REALLY good with him. He'll be surrounded with a lot of talent and experience, yet he'll firmly be the PG.

There are more unknowns and question marks at other places that could easily interfere with his role on a particular team. With only 1 year of eligibility remaining, we look like a promising (in terms of how good we can be) and more stable/less risky situation (in terms of his role and what he'll be able to showcase for himself).
+1

I'm pretty sure that's what he said he wants: to be on a team with an established core that looks to be pretty good but still be the main man at PG.

This post was edited on 4/16 3:07 PM by nagemj02

Duke will be tough to beat out for Ennis' services.
This post was edited on 4/16 3:47 PM by atkinsbj

Originally posted by nagemj02:

+1

I'm pretty sure that's what he said he wants: to be on a team with an established core that looks to be pretty good but still be the main man at PG.

This post was edited on 4/16 3:07 PM by nagemj02
We may look better to him if AJ stays. "Ennis feeds it inside to Hammons and he puts it home"...something like that.

That's kind of a running joke around here. The peegies would always get excited when they saw iu listed first on a kid's list. A second glance revealed that the schools were listed in alphabetical order, but they wouldn't hear it.

Originally posted by BoilerJS:
BIG life, BIG stage BIG TEN. Exposure isn't a problem, just ask JO. Make a spectacular play and make ESPN's top 10 list.
Purdue should be on ESPN more this upcoming season as well, so even more exposure.

Duke will likely still try to sign a top freshman PG, so he may be out recruited if he goes there. Also, difficult expectations for a first time PG.

This guy seems awesome! He looks a little bigger and stronger than Octeus which could be a good thing. Also seems like a really good guy-- the kind you would love to have on your team. And what an infectious smile!

A Duke offer would be hard to turn down, but I wouldn't be surprised Ennis is still plan B for Duke. The rumor is that Duke is in talks with a couple of the top 2016 point guards about reclassifying to 2015 and coming to Duke.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I hope we get him. He could be a difference maker for us next year since the rest of the roster is solid.

Agree with Cevol: Puke will probably just bring in another top point guard. And center. And forward. No problem.

Purdue no longer in the running. I'm guessing what Painter wants out of his point guards didn't jive with what Ennis was looking for.

I'm hoping against hope that this is an erroneous report. Until I see something from Ennis or a trusted source, I'm not going to close the book. It strikes me as odd that he cuts his list to 8, we are on it, he starts to plan his visits, Painter doesn't wait on a visit and goes to him, and then he cuts his list to 7 with us being the one school eliminated. The quality Juco and 5th Year PGs are dropping like flies, and I'm afraid Painter may be left holding his Thompson. (That line would have worked better if RJ was still on the roster).

I could be absolutely wrong but I thought this was in reference to ale comet signing with Baylor . . . . Hopefully we're still in the hunt for Ennis.

How do you go into a meeting with Ennis with what seems like a perfect 5th year PG transfer situation and totally whiff like that? Purdue has proven success integrating a 5th year PG with this group of players. Purdue has plenty of experience and talent at all the other spots on the floor coming back next year including a likely NBA bound center. Purdue is a likely top 25 team headed to the tourney next year. Seems like there is a lot to sell there and Ennis immediately eliminates Purdue after 1 meeting with Painter? What the hell is Painter telling these kids?

I'm hoping against hope that this is an erroneous report. Until I see something from Ennis or a trusted source, I'm not going to close the book. It strikes me as odd that he cuts his list to 8, we are on it, he starts to plan his visits, Painter doesn't wait on a visit and goes to him, and then he cuts his list to 7 with us being the one school eliminated. The quality Juco and 5th Year PGs are dropping like flies, and I'm afraid Painter may be left holding his Thompson. (That line would have worked better if RJ was still on the roster).
Does GBI count as a trusted source? Cause that's where it came from.

How do you go into a meeting with Ennis with what seems like a perfect 5th year PG transfer situation and totally whiff like that? Purdue has proven success integrating a 5th year PG with this group of players. Purdue has plenty of experience and talent at all the other spots on the floor coming back next year including a likely NBA bound center. Purdue is a likely top 25 team headed to the tourney next year. Seems like there is a lot to sell there and Ennis immediately eliminates Purdue after 1 meeting with Painter? What the hell is Painter telling these kids?

This does seem strange if he had 8 schoools listed including Purdue, Painter visits and then he immediately comes out and says 7 with Purdue being off the list. Hopefully this isn't how it really happened.

This does seem strange if he had 8 schoools listed including Purdue, Painter visits and then he immediately comes out and says 7 with Purdue being off the list. Hopefully this isn't how it really happened.

We have no idea what happened.

Yeah who knows. Maybe he said "I don't want to play point guard" Could have been the end of the discussion.

Could have been 1000 different reasons.

Yeah who knows. Maybe he said "I don't want to play point guard" Could have been the end of the discussion.

Could have been 1000 different reasons.

Not only that, but while we may not be super deep at the PG position, we have a deep team.

He is transferring because of playing time concerns.

If Ennis is looking to be playing 35+ minutes a game, it's probably not going to happen at Purdue. We had 1 player who played more than 30 minutes a game last year (Davis) and that was 31.

Not only that, but while we may not be super deep at the PG position, we have a deep team.

He is transferring because of playing time concerns.

If Ennis is looking to be playing 35+ minutes a game, it's probably not going to happen at Purdue. We had 1 player who played more than 30 minutes a game last year (Davis) and that was 31.

I don't know either, but I really doubt that playing time concerns factored into Ennis's decision to drop Purdue. I would guess that it has to do with the role he wants to play. I read a quote from him shortly after he decided to transfer where he said that the real reason that he was transferring had to do with Villanova's offense not featuring a traditional point guard role. My sense in reading that was that Ennis likely wanted to play point guard in a ball screen oriented offense where he was the playmaker. Truthfully, that's what a lot of point guards want these days. I am sure that Painter was very honest about the role of the point guard in Purdue's offense and I would bet that it didn't match what Ennis was looking for.

I don't know either, but I really doubt that playing time concerns factored into Ennis's decision to drop Purdue. I would guess that it has to do with the role he wants to play. I read a quote from him shortly after he decided to transfer where he said that the real reason that he was transferring had to do with Villanova's offense not featuring a traditional point guard role. My sense in reading that was that Ennis likely wanted to play point guard in a ball screen oriented offense where he was the playmaker. Truthfully, that's what a lot of point guards want these days. I am sure that Painter was very honest about the role of the point guard in Purdue's offense and I would bet that it didn't match what Ennis was looking for.

Agreed. But playing time would be an equation to that (i.e. you aren't the guy running the show 35 minutes a game either).

When Ennis announced his transfer, his words verbatim did not really match-up with what Purdue could offer. Villanova has a 4 guard offense and he was already sharing PG duties and they have another stud PG coming in, which means he'd be sharing between 3. That being said, Purdue plays a motion offense which isn't conducive to a traditional point guard role. So while Purdue's offense uses a PG in a more traditional sense compared to Villanova, it's still not a truly traditional role.

ADVERTISEMENT