ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Roff Out as Soccer Coach

I just had told my wife yesterday that I would be surprised if Drew could hang on for another year after his zero win B1G seasons these last two years. His recent teams have had NO offence.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I just had told my wife yesterday that I would be surprised if Drew could hang on for another year after his zero win B1G seasons these last two years. His recent teams have had NO offence.
That really did seem to be the issue this year. The defense kept them in some game and even clawed out a 0-0 draw against the best team on the schedule (Penn State). When you get half of your season's goals in one game against a MAAC team though...

Reactions: rgarlitz and DocRon
Just saw this news on TwitterX (refuse to call it X) - and really not surprised. I don’t know anything about Coach Roff, but he seemed to be a good, decent fellow. Of course that doesn’t mean you have a good coaching/recruiting skillset, but I still hate to see it.
Given the last 2 seasons, this was a move Bobinski had to make. In that regard, this Boiler (womens sports) fan is glad to see a change. I hope, in the end, the team is energized by change.

Reactions: DocRon
I have had only one conversation with Roff. I called to tell him about a possible recruit in the Chicago area. He never called back. I called again and got a hold of him and told him I wanted to give him the name of a player who was named one of the top freshman in Illinois and that I knew her dad as he was a member of my Country Club and that I wanted to give him some info to check her out to see if she really was that good and to get her down for a camp.
He told me he wasn't interested as he was working on Juniors now and that was that.

I watched them enough on B1G+ to see that their problem was in the Midfield. Their mids played too defensively. It was like they had three people playing the 6 (holding mid) at all times....and thus their attack was easy to stymie because they could not get enough #s forward. Their passing was atrocious too...rarely did I see them connect more than 6 pass strings together. A lot of boot ball from the backline that skipped a level and was easily intercepted.

It's a shame that their incoming recruiting class was ranked #10 in the country but most all have since decommitted. And, their top players (both Freshmen) are in the xfer portal (Cuneio and Omholt). Hopefully, the new coach can reload though.

It will be interesting to see who they hire. Will it be another mid-major up and comer like Roff was.....or, will they go for a proven Power5 winner. It will be very telling as to how much Bobinski care$ about soccer.

I watched them enough on B1G+ to see that their problem was in the Midfield. Their mids played too defensively. It was like they had three people playing the 6 (holding mid) at all times....and thus their attack was easy to stymie because they could not get enough #s forward. Their passing was atrocious too...rarely did I see them connect more than 6 pass strings together. A lot of boot ball from the backline that skipped a level and was easily intercepted.

It's a shame that their incoming recruiting class was ranked #10 in the country but most all have since decommitted. And, their top players (both Freshmen) are in the xfer portal (Cuneio and Omholt). Hopefully, the new coach can reload though.

It will be interesting to see who they hire. Will it be another mid-major up and comer like Roff was.....or, will they go for a proven Power5 winner. It will be very telling as to how much Bobinski care$ about soccer.
Bobinski has not spent money on any sport but men's football and basketball to get a proven commodity yet, doubt now is the one that changes that.

Reactions: Boileriffic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT