ADVERTISEMENT

Doomed season continues 47-46

GemstateBoiler

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2006
We led virtually the whole game, even up by 10 pts in the 2nd half. Illinois hits a 3 and goes up one and we never score again. Illinois shot 26% and won. When you give up 21 offensive rebounds and give the ball up 21 times, bad things happen.

This season can't get over quickly enough.

Wow, did not know we were up by ten and that they shot 26% and won. Perry's absence had to hurt a lot. But when a season is lost those things just continue to happen. Coach V does not and has not had a full deck. Sad for our program. Wonder if we ever finished last in BTT ever before?

Originally posted by illiniboiler:
Wow, did not know we were up by ten and that they shot 26% and won. Perry's absence had to hurt a lot. But when a season is lost those things just continue to happen. Coach V does not and has not had a full deck. Sad for our program. Wonder if we ever finished last in BTT ever before?
Miss Perry actually played 10 minutes of the 2nd half and scored 6 pts. In years past we could have 22 turnovers and had enough talent to still win against lower teams. Different story with this year's roster and toothache season. Frankly, it's hard to watch even for the best fans. I want it over. Can I put a season on ignore mode?

Turnovers!

22 Turnovers is unacceptable. PERIOD. I don't care how much talent you have or whether you can still win against lower teams. It is a complete failure to play any where close to the team's potential. This is at least the third game in a row with 20 or more turnovers. For the B1G season to date, Purdue has turned the ball over 262 times (16.375 per game) and our opponents have turned it over only 207 times. It is horrible basketball to give the opponent that many extra possessions. (Today the Illinois had only 12 turnovers to Purdue's 22 and that was the ball game.)

Burke needs to demand that Versyp fix this problem next season or he needs to find a coach who can put a team on the court that will take care of the ball!

Re: Turnovers!

Originally posted by oldgoldandblack:
22 Turnovers is unacceptable. PERIOD. I don't care how much talent you have or whether you can still win against lower teams. It is a complete failure to play any where close to the team's potential. This is at least the third game in a row with 20 or more turnovers. For the B1G season to date, Purdue has turned the ball over 262 times (16.375 per game) and our opponents have turned it over only 207 times. It is horrible basketball to give the opponent that many extra possessions. (Today the Illinois had only 12 turnovers to Purdue's 22 and that was the ball game.)

Burke needs to demand that Versyp fix this problem next season or he needs to find a coach who can put a team on the court that will take care of the ball!
Yep, you're right. I never said it was acceptable. This season is taking it's toll on all of us. Even the normally calmer fans ( I include myself) are reaching new heights of displeasure and loss of interest. The men and women teams are going completely different directions now. I was considering not even watching today for my health but the supportive side of me to my school won out.

If next season isn't a big change, I'm not sure we'll have any fans left. I need some beers.

As I was watching the game I was wondering why keep feeding the post and throwing the ball away. As least if you shoot a three, there is a chance that it will go in the basket once in a while.

Originally posted by Larry77:
As I was watching the game I was wondering why keep feeding the post and throwing the ball away. As least if you shoot a three, there is a chance that it will go in the basket once in a while.
Yeah, that added to the turnovers big time but we are not any better from outside as we were like one of eleven from the 3 pt range. It's hard to say what we do well with this year's problems. I hate being negative but reality is reality I guess.

It is sad but as reported before this team as a team is just not good. They have a few players that are capable but the majority of players are just not very good at alot of things. The team needs a complete overhaul of players who are basketball players who can play and don't get rattled and CAN SHOOT. I would also suggest that next years team spend a good week with a sports psychologist to get their brains straight.

Since I chose not to watch the game, I just read the game story and it sounds like the Billy Goat curse on the Cubs. How can you lose to a team that shoots 13% in the first half and missed 20 straight shots. It just is incredible, but this whole season is incredible in the wrong way. Can' much watch any more.

ADVERTISEMENT