ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone watch Mayweather-Pacquiao ?

BoilersRock

All-American
May 29, 2001
indiana
imgur.com
Like everyone else, I hoped for a lot of fireworks between the two best guys in the sport these days, but Floyd clearly had different plan which worked great.

Given a choice, Mayweather would probably want to retire right now but for his remaining obligation. As for Manny, I figure he'll retire as well between the lack of any remaining major draw and his desire to participate more in politics back home.

Like everyone else, I hoped for a lot of fireworks between the two best guys in the sport these days, but Floyd clearly had different plan which worked great.

Given a choice, Mayweather would probably want to retire right now but for his remaining obligation. As for Manny, I figure he'll retire as well between the lack of any remaining major draw and his desire to participate more in politics back home.
You don't think Mayweather wants to at least tie Marciano's record? Has he said otherwise? As for the fight, I did not see it. And if the "highlights" I saw were indeed the best parts of the fight, I'm glad I didn't. Of course that's how Mayweather likes to fight. Kind of remarkable that he's 48-0, but has only 26 knockouts. But that's how he fights, and it's boring. It's also why Mayweather will never be considered the best ever--or even in the top 5 in my opinion.

I wonder if Mayweather will agree to fight Gennady Golovkin.

I watched it and am glad I didn't pay money to see it. His style may be effective, but watching Mayweather (and boxing in general anymore) is like watching soccer. Unless you're a purist or really love the sport, it's boring as shit.

If the money is right, he'd care about Marciano's record. Perhaps after September he'll wait for HBO and Showtime and whomever else to bid for his record-setting match.

You don't think Mayweather wants to at least tie Marciano's record? Has he said otherwise? As for the fight, I did not see it. And if the "highlights" I saw were indeed the best parts of the fight, I'm glad I didn't. Of course that's how Mayweather likes to fight. Kind of remarkable that he's 48-0, but has only 26 knockouts. But that's how he fights, and it's boring. It's also why Mayweather will never be considered the best ever--or even in the top 5 in my opinion.

I wonder if Mayweather will agree to fight Gennady Golovkin.

I don't get the Mayweather criticisms some folks seem to have (well, I get the woman beater criticisms)...isn't the goal of boxing to hit and not get hit? Isn't that what he does? Very well apparently?

I get that in today's we want to see blood and guts world it's boring, that's why MMA is going to be what boxing used to be. But if you are watching a boxing match, particularly a Mayweather match, you'd think people would know what they were getting into.

I don't get the Mayweather criticisms some folks seem to have (well, I get the woman beater criticisms)...isn't the goal of boxing to hit and not get hit? Isn't that what he does? Very well apparently?

I get that in today's we want to see blood and guts world it's boring, that's why MMA is going to be what boxing used to be. But if you are watching a boxing match, particularly a Mayweather match, you'd think people would know what they were getting into.
I think Mayweather's fights are boring even by the standards of 30+ years ago. Hearns--Hagler--Leonard--etc., for example, were far more entertaining. Don't get me wrong, Mayweather is a great, great boxer. I just would rather see more toe-to-toe action in the ring. (Don't know for sure, but I suspect that Mayweather's KO ratio is probably one of the lowest in history for any boxer considered to have been "great.")

And for the record, I do not like MMA at all. I've watched it a few times (never more than one fight at any one sitting), and it makes me uncomfortable to watch two guys trying to strangle each other, break an arm or leg, etc. I know, boxing is just as dangerous (perhaps moreso). But MMA is too much for me.

Of course what has really killed boxing, I think, is all of the politics and different title awarding groups (there are now 5 different ones). Heck, Mayweather does not currently hold the IBF Welterweight title (Kell Brook has it), and he did not hold the WBO welterweight title until yesterday. And why in the world does the WBO have a "super champion" when someone is not only the champ, but is a really good one? On top of that, if there is a "super champion" (e.g., Vladimir Klitschko, WBO Super Champion heavyweight) then they also will have a champion (e.g., Ruslan Chagaev, WBO chamption heavyweight). It would be like awarding two football teams the title of Super Bowl Champion--with one being the Super Bowl Super Champion. Wouldn't that be, well, super?

And while I am ranting, when did they introduce the Minimumweight/Mini flyweight/Strawweight division (105 lb)? Strawweight! And it's only 3 pounds lighter than the next division (light/junior flyweight, 108 lb)! Three pounds! On top of that, the current WBA champion in this division is a guy named Knockout CP Freshmart!

I think Mayweather's fights are boring even by the standards of 30+ years ago. Hearns--Hagler--Leonard--etc., for example, were far more entertaining. Don't get me wrong, Mayweather is a great, great boxer. I just would rather see more toe-to-toe action in the ring. (Don't know for sure, but I suspect that Mayweather's KO ratio is probably one of the lowest in history for any boxer considered to have been "great.")

And for the record, I do not like MMA at all. I've watched it a few times (never more than one fight at any one sitting), and it makes me uncomfortable to watch two guys trying to strangle each other, break an arm or leg, etc. I know, boxing is just as dangerous (perhaps moreso). But MMA is too much for me.

Of course what has really killed boxing, I think, is all of the politics and different title awarding groups (there are now 5 different ones). Heck, Mayweather does not currently hold the IBF Welterweight title (Kell Brook has it), and he did not hold the WBO welterweight title until yesterday. And why in the world does the WBO have a "super champion" when someone is not only the champ, but is a really good one? On top of that, if there is a "super champion" (e.g., Vladimir Klitschko, WBO Super Champion heavyweight) then they also will have a champion (e.g., Ruslan Chagaev, WBO chamption heavyweight). It would be like awarding two football teams the title of Super Bowl Champion--with one being the Super Bowl Super Champion. Wouldn't that be, well, super?

And while I am ranting, when did they introduce the Minimumweight/Mini flyweight/Strawweight division (105 lb)? Strawweight! And it's only 3 pounds lighter than the next division (light/junior flyweight, 108 lb)! Three pounds! On top of that, the current WBA champion in this division is a guy named Knockout CP Freshmart!

I wasn't talking specifically about you, just in general. I think I was into boxing for about five minutes as a kid. I agree it's all very confusing, somewhat chaotic, and of course, there's a lot of corruption there. They would probably do better to have one single organization like the NFL or NBA, but that cat is out of the bag.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT