ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Culver

HomelessHarvey97

True Freshman
May 9, 2015
Offered scholly to 2017 recruit from Warren Harding OH. Anybody know anything about him? Any chance we get him?

247 Crystal Ball says 100% of the "Experts" saying he is going to OSU. He really should look at Purdue. OSU does not produce bigs. This dude looks athletic and looks like a very good shot blocker, at least from highlight videos. He has a ton of blocks in this video posted below. Would be very nice to add this kid.

247 Crystal Ball says 100% of the "Experts" saying he is going to OSU. He really should look at Purdue. OSU does not produce bigs. This dude looks athletic and looks like a very good shot blocker, at least from highlight videos. He has a ton of blocks in this video posted below. Would be very nice to add this kid.

Huh? OSU doesn't produce bigs? And Purdue does? Yes you had JJ and to a lesser extend Landry, but who else? I know AJ will probably get drafted and will Swanigan will get drafted. Those are the the two sure fire players right now with Haas having a chance as well. OSU has had plenty of highly drafted big men. I get you're excited, but at least be rational. OSU is a very good school at getting players drafted, bigs included.

Huh? OSU doesn't produce bigs? And Purdue does? Yes you had JJ and to a lesser extend Landry, but who else? I know AJ will probably get drafted and will Swanigan will get drafted. Those are the the two sure fire players right now with Haas having a chance as well. OSU has had plenty of highly drafted big men. I get you're excited, but at least be rational. OSU is a very good school at getting players drafted, bigs included.

Sullinger and Oden, who else?

Sullinger, Koufos, Mullens, Oden (injuries were his downfall, not OSU)
Sullinger and Oden, who else?

Mullens and Koufos (although those guys were going to the league regardless of where they went, as were Oden and Sullinger)

"Developing" big men is interesting. I give Wisconsin a hell of a lot more credit for what Kaminsky has become, than what I give OSU for Sullinger/Oden/Koufos/Mullens.
I would say that's fair about Wisconsin "developing" big men. I just challenged the poster who said OSU doesn't produce bigs inferring that Purdue does because it clearly seems OSU has had more big men and more players overall get drafted than Purdue.

Sullinger, Koufos, Mullens, Oden (injuries were his downfall, not OSU)

Mullens and Koufos (although those guys were going to the league regardless of where they went, as were Oden and Sullinger)
Same could be said for Swanigan.

Agreed. Some schools are better than others at developing players, but, you give me a bunch of top players, and I'll become pretty good at "developing" talent too.
Yeah it's tough to say someone "developed" at a school when they are a one and done or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I would assume most of them get better when they play in college, but like you pointed out, they would likely go pro no matter where they play. I would still give the coach some credit. For example, I think Calipari gets credit for developing some of the players he's had. Some more than others, but I still think you need to give him credit.

Baby sitting a player that would have been top 10 a year earlier but for a stupid age rule is not developing. Heck, Sullinger dropped the longer he stayed there. You could say it was due to an injury, but did he really improve from year one to two? What non-5 star big have they sent to the league? I can't remember which one Koufus or Mullens, Matta refused to play because he didn't want him to be a one and done. That still baffles me that that hasn't hurt his recruiting.

I guess I said "produce bigs" should have said "develop." That would make my point better. Sorry haha.

Baby sitting a player that would have been top 10 a year early but for a stupid age rule is not developing. Heck, Sullinger dropped the longer he stayed there. You could say it was due to an injury, but did he really improve from year one to two? What non-5 star big have they sent to the league? I can't remember which one Koufus or Mullens, Matta refused to play because he didn't want him to be a one and done. That still baffles me that that hasn't hurt his recruiting.

I guess I said "produce bigs" should have said "develop." That would make my point better. Sorry haha.
Matta is a very good coach and he gets bigs/players to the league. I think that is all that matters to a lot of kids. They call that "developing" whether we agree with it or not.

Matta is a very good coach and he gets bigs/players to the league. I think that is all that matters to a lot of kids. They call that "developing" whether we agree with it or not.
If I were recruiting against Matta for a big man, I'd use Koufos, Mullins, and Amir Williams as examples of why not to choose OSU.

Reactions: woggy718
Yeah it's tough to say someone "developed" at a school when they are a one and done or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I would assume most of them get better when they play in college, but like you pointed out, they would likely go pro no matter where they play. I would still give the coach some credit. For example, I think Calipari gets credit for developing some of the players he's had. Some more than others, but I still think you need to give him credit.

Coach Cal definitely deserves credit; but look at someone like Dakari Johnson...guy was a top-10 recruit, and hasn't done squat. Same with Daniel Orton. It goes both ways, I guess.

At the end of the day, a coach can obviously help, but drastically? I'm not so sure.

Coach Cal definitely deserves credit; but look at someone like Dakari Johnson...guy was a top-10 recruit, and hasn't done squat. Same with Daniel Orton. It goes both ways, I guess.

At the end of the day, a coach can obviously help, but drastically? I'm not so sure.
Completely agree. Sometime they do provide a drastic improvement and other times they are very minimal.

There's a difference between producing bigs and developing bigs. A top 25 recruit, like Mullens, Sullinger, Oden, and Koufos, will make the NBA 9/10 times no matter where they go. They might of even been top 10. I know Oden was #1, and Sullinger was top 5 I believe. That is producing a big. It's basically when they decide to go to your basketball program, knowing they're going to the NBA.

Developing bigs, like Purdue has done, is when you get a player who is a good recruit coming out of high school, but by no means was NBA ready or even in the discussion of being drafted, like AJ Hammons, Carl Landry, Haas, JJ (to a lesser extent, although he was no surefire NBA prospect).

That said, if this guy has that mentality that he needs to get better, needs to improve, needs to be pushed, then Purdue, as of recently and their track record, is the better fit.

If he wants to go to a big money school, have the best chance at a championship while being as local as it gets, then he'll stay at OSU. Not saying Purdue won't have as good, if not better chances than OSU, but OSU is consistently getting better recruiting classes than Purdue, along with every team in the BT.

If he doesn't care about anything else but winning, he'll go to Duke, UK, KU, or IU...

Just kidding, only the first 3.;):D

Reactions: ustankass
Completely agree. Sometime they do provide a drastic improvement and other times they are very minimal.

If the player drastically improves, it is because of the inner will of the player. They have that work ethic deep inside and determination with the right amount of natural ability to make it all come to life. A lot of Purdue guys who have made it fit that bill.

Every coach has a couple guys who didn't pan out. I don't think that's a huge deal.
I didn't say it was a huge deal, but it is relevant to the discussion. Matta has proven to be a fine recruiter of big men, but he hasn't proven to de a great developer of bigs, from what I've seen.

How about you stop trolling and hijacking threads? Just answer the OP's question.

How about you stop trolling and hijacking threads? Just answer the OP's question.

Who is this referring to? If me, I didn't think I was hijacking the thread, I apologize if that's how it seemed. Didn't think my comment would derail the thread. To answer the op question, I have no clue what the chances of landing him are. I just think painter has a better track record of bigs improving while under his tutelage. I think he should go to Purdue, but I am very biased and think all good men should go to Purdue.

There's a difference between producing bigs and developing bigs. A top 25 recruit, like Mullens, Sullinger, Oden, and Koufos, will make the NBA 9/10 times no matter where they go. They might of even been top 10. I know Oden was #1, and Sullinger was top 5 I believe. That is producing a big. It's basically when they decide to go to your basketball program, knowing they're going to the NBA.

Developing bigs, like Purdue has done, is when you get a player who is a good recruit coming out of high school, but by no means was NBA ready or even in the discussion of being drafted, like AJ Hammons, Carl Landry, Haas, JJ (to a lesser extent, although he was no surefire NBA prospect).

That said, if this guy has that mentality that he needs to get better, needs to improve, needs to be pushed, then Purdue, as of recently and their track record, is the better fit.

If he wants to go to a big money school, have the best chance at a championship while being as local as it gets, then he'll stay at OSU. Not saying Purdue won't have as good, if not better chances than OSU, but OSU is consistently getting better recruiting classes than Purdue, along with every team in the BT.

If he doesn't care about anything else but winning, he'll go to Duke, UK, KU, or IU...

Just kidding, only the first 3.;):D
Like I stated earlier, kids don't look at it the same way. They don't seem to distinguish between "producing" and "developing" bigs. It seems as though they believe developing is getting to the NBA. Why would someone honestly say Cal has "developed" all the talent he has had? We as fans may distinguish between producing and developing, but it's almost irrelevant because it's not the way kids think.

And for your list, two of them have been drafted and two haven't. I'd pump the brakes a bit. It's not like Purdue is some sort of standout when it comes to developing big men. You guys are on the same level as tons of schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT