ADVERTISEMENT

Dekker to NBA....

I like Dekker, but I feel like he will be another Kieth VanHorn in the NBA. Same type of player in college. Hope I am wrong though and good luck to him!

Bo doesn't rent.....but in Dekker's case, maybe a lease?
wink.r191677.gif

Dekker should have a solid shot at a good career......I think of him more like Detlef Schrempf......but Van Horn had a better career than some people remember.

As to Ryan's comments, I haven't followed up much on the aftermath, but I thought it was misconstrued concerning so-called "one-and-dones." Here's his quote from the press conference:

Oh, without a doubt. All the seniors that I've had - hard to say the word. But every player that's played through the program, okay, we don't do a rent-a-player. You know what I mean? Try to take a fifth-year guy. That's okay. If other people do that, that's okay. I like trying to build from within. It's just the way I am. And to see these guys grow over the years and to be here last year and lose a tough game, boom, they came back.

To me, it seems like he was talking exactly about what Purdue did with Octeus, Carter, and Peck.....but it somehow turned into a shot at Duke and Kentucky on early entries/departures into the draft.

Oh well.....on to next season......

Originally posted by Purdue Grad in Texas:
Dekker should have a solid shot at a good career......I think of him more like Detlef Schrempf......but Van Horn had a better career than some people remember.

As to Ryan's comments, I haven't followed up much on the aftermath, but I thought it was misconstrued concerning so-called "one-and-dones." Here's his quote from the press conference:

Oh, without a doubt. All the seniors that I've had - hard to say the word. But every player that's played through the program, okay, we don't do a rent-a-player. You know what I mean? Try to take a fifth-year guy. That's okay. If other people do that, that's okay. I like trying to build from within. It's just the way I am. And to see these guys grow over the years and to be here last year and lose a tough game, boom, they came back.

To me, it seems like he was talking exactly about what Purdue did with Octeus, Carter, and Peck.....but it somehow turned into a shot at Duke and Kentucky on early entries/departures into the draft.

Oh well.....on to next season......
Octeus was one of the most impactful players at Purdue in some time, and I'm glad he is a Boiler. But I would like to see Purdue get to the point where they aren't relying year-to-year on 5th year transfers. It just doesn't seem sustainable. There aren't enough good ones, and you can't know when they will be available to recruit. If you suddenly have a big gap in your classes, fine. But not every year.

With Kaminsky and Dekker gone, will Wisky be as good? I know they have a pretty good recruiting class, but I can't see them being this good next year.

They do?

Wisconsin's 2015 class had 3 three star recruits and 1 four star.

Wisconsin's 2014 class had 1 three star recruit.

Wisconsin's 2013 class had 3 three star recruits and 1 four star recruit.

Bo Ryan should probably be fired.

Originally posted by purdue4sure:

Octeus was one of the most impactful players at Purdue in some time, and I'm glad he is a Boiler. But I would like to see Purdue get to the point where they aren't relying year-to-year on 5th year transfers. It just doesn't seem sustainable. There aren't enough good ones, and you can't know when they will be available to recruit. If you suddenly have a big gap in your classes, fine. But not every year.
Honestly, there's a time and place to add a 5th year player. It really helps if you have someone leave unexpectedly or if you think you're one player away from being a contender and have an open scholarship for one year. That being said, most of the time it's not the ideal way to build a program. I'm all for bringing in transfer players that have multiple years left to play.

It worked great for Iowa State. Fred Hoiberg built his program with transfer players. Hoiberg took over an Iowa State program that hadn't won more than 15 games the 4 years before he took over. He then won 16, 23, 23, 28, and 25 games in his first 5 years as their head coach. Now he has a program that recruits high school talent instead of transfers and he's getting kids that want to go to Iowa State. He used transfers to build a program that is now stable without them.

As for Dekker, is it wrong to think he could turn into Gordon Hayward? They have a similar build and I think a similar game, except Dekker might be a better shooter when he's shooting well (as we've seen, he's a very streaky shooter). The only problem I have with Dekker is he seems to disappear at times from some games. It seems like for a 10 minute stretch he doesn't do anything, but then he'll show some initiative and he'll go off for 9 points in 4 minutes.

I doubt he's an instant impact player his first year in the NBA, but if he keeps working on his game I could see him being a steady 15 and 6 guy in the NBA. He's never going to be the star of your team, but if he's the third or 4th best player on a playoff team I could see them making a decent run.

Originally posted by TyHay822:

Honestly, there's a time and place to add a 5th year player. It really helps if you have someone leave unexpectedly or if you think you're one player away from being a contender and have an open scholarship for one year. That being said, most of the time it's not the ideal way to build a program. I'm all for bringing in transfer players that have multiple years left to play.

It worked great for Iowa State. Fred Hoiberg built his program with transfer players. Hoiberg took over an Iowa State program that hadn't won more than 15 games the 4 years before he took over. He then won 16, 23, 23, 28, and 25 games in his first 5 years as their head coach. Now he has a program that recruits high school talent instead of transfers and he's getting kids that want to go to Iowa State. He used transfers to build a program that is now stable without them.
I agree. One year transfers can help in "emergency" situations, but if these situations are occurring repeatedly, it's time to look at the root cause.

I agree. One year transfers can help in "emergency" situations, but if these situations are occurring repeatedly, it's time to look at the root cause.
Agreed. It shouldn't be something that's used every couple years. If it is, it's probably a sign that you're losing players pretty regularly and that points to a much bigger problem for a coaching staff

I don't think I'd necessarily agree.

Transfers are a very common thing in college basketball. In just the last 2 seasons, every Big Ten program except 1 has had at least 1 transfer (and somewhere around half of them have had more than 1 transfer in the last 2 seasons).

So when there are that many transfers occurring, they have to be transferring somewhere. And you either bank a scholarship (because transfers usually happen too late for anything to be done with high school players) or you bring in an experienced guy at a position you could use some assistance.

It's not like Purdue HAD to bring in Octeus or they were screwed. He was an addition in October. Would we have been as successful with Scott and Thompson? Who knows. But it's not like we're counting on someone to come in and start every year with this system. Octeus turned out to be an integral part of the team. Sometimes these transfers aren't that type of player and are just fillers.

ADVERTISEMENT