ADVERTISEMENT

Couple rules questions from today

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
I was at the game so I don't know what the broadcasters said.

1. Muffed fair catch on a kickoff. Tracy then picked up the ball on the 5 but was unable to advance it. Weird call, but I guess with fair catches on kickoffs being somewhat new (3 years?) it's just something that we've never seen before. Unfair to get the ball on the 25 in that case I suppose.

2. Offensive substitution allows for the defense to sub. But how far do the refs let it go for? Early in the game, we subbed with 12 seconds on the clock. RTB was able to wait until 4 seconds on the clock to get their subs in. Purdue was forced to call a timeout or else it would have been a delay of game. How much leeway does the defense get in these situations? To me it seemed like PJ stalled on purpose to force the timeout.

1. Muffed fair catch on a kickoff. Tracy then picked up the ball on the 5 but was unable to advance it. Weird call, but I guess with fair catches on kickoffs being somewhat new (3 years?) it's just something that we've never seen before. Unfair to get the ball on the 25 in that case I suppose.

2. Offensive substitution allows for the defense to sub. But how far do the refs let it go for? Early in the game, we subbed with 12 seconds on the clock. RTB was able to wait until 4 seconds on the clock to get their subs in. Purdue was forced to call a timeout or else it would have been a delay of game. How much leeway does the defense get in these situations? To me it seemed like PJ stalled on purpose to force the timeout.
I should have dressed warmer! ;)

1. The announcers kinda glossed over that one. Did the returners knee touch the ground? They never said. I think they messed it up and that rule needs cleaned up and thouroughly explained.

2. This rule needs fixed as well since the coaches are starting to manipulate the clock. Not just our game but I seen it happen in other games yesterday.

On #2 (the delayed subbing) - why not just snap the ball - before the ref okays it?
I get that they would blow it dead and reset - but by then - with the reset - Purdue is set and ready to go.
Unless that is a penalty of course.
Maybe a dumb question….

On #2 (the delayed subbing) - why not just snap the ball - before the ref okays it?
I get that they would blow it dead and reset - but by then - with the reset - Purdue is set and ready to go.
Unless that is a penalty of course.
Maybe a dumb question….
Because the ref (umpire) is literally standing between the center and the quarterback.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT