ADVERTISEMENT

Could 5th year tranfer PG affect recruiting top PG prospects

Mar 25, 2015
While I readily admit that the addition of Jon Octeus was a homerun this year and the prospect of getting Dylan Ennis for the upcoming year is on the same level as JO, I am concerned that if this becomes a trend that top PG recruits may not see PU as a viable option to come in as a freshman and make an immediate impact?
PJ had a solid year while learning and growing in practice against a veteran, mature player like JO and also going against the intensity of Bryson Scott. With an offseason to build on his freshman experience and work on the inconsistencies of his game, I believe that he will be a quality PG that can run the offense, score the basketball and guard the opposing PG.
Don't get me wrong, I would readily welcome a veteran 5th year PG to go along with the returning players and it is my belief that next year will be a much more disciplined and successful season. The glaring losses to North FL and Gardner Webb have been burned into the players memories of how every game matters and I don't see losses like those 2 being repeated next year.
This is my first post and I welcome your insight and opinions! Boiler UP! Hammer Down

I doubt it effects recruiting much. I would actually think it could help Some. Having success with transfers at that position may help recruits see that there is opportunity to shine as a point guard in Purdue's system. If transfers have success in 1 year than a good point guard recruit should see how he could be very successful in 4 years at Purdue. Just my opinion, but really I doubt it has much impact on recruiting.

I enjoyed reading both of these posts. I agree with Scott more than the original poster, but both of you explained your thoughts well (Welcome, WarBoiler!).

Why did I respond if I have nothing substantive to say? Because the above is exactly the kind of conversation this place needs. Well-reasoned, respectful, both posters genuinely wanting Purdue to succeed.

Thanks to both of you. Recruits and families and others read this board. They need to know how classy Purdue fans can be (very).

Originally posted by Ben Shadeland:
I enjoyed reading both of these posts. I agree with Scott more than the original poster, but both of you explained your thoughts well (Welcome, WarBoiler!).

Why did I respond if I have nothing substantive to say? Because the above is exactly the kind of conversation this place needs. Well-reasoned, respectful, both posters genuinely wanting Purdue to succeed.

Thanks to both of you. Recruits and families and others read this board. They need to know how classy Purdue fans can be (very).

Ben, you mean you don't like it when people attack others because anyone who is new to the board must be a troll? I mean, clearly all boiler fans have been on this board for years (TIC). Anyway to the topic at hand, the only reason painter has had to look for 5th year transfers is because we haven't had a solid 4 year guy since lewjack. This can kinda turn into a "what came first the chicken or the egg?" issue. I don't think this will hurt in anyway. Players will see players be successful and teams be successful and will want to play there. JO I think really helped purdue in that regard. What transfer wouldn't want to have the success he had here and not want to completely silence Ass Hall with a thunderous posterization!! Either way players seeing a player be successful at the position they play will bode well for painter and Purdue. Painter has the ship righted, can't wait till he gets Ennis and we make a deep tourney run next year!! BTFU!! Fred Hoiberg has done this very successfully at Iowa State for a couple of years, and built that program on transfers, he would be a guy to look at to see if he can continually recruit like that and be successful.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I don't think it's going to be a trend. The bottom line is that the more success Purdue has at X position, the better it is for recruiting, bottom line. You have Ronnie Johnson saying the PG is handcuffed too much, but then you see a guy like Octeus have the season he had and it's clearly not accurate.

I think PJ has a lot of potential. Maybe not as a sophomore, but he has a lot of good attributes. But the more success you see someone have, the easier it is to recruit. There are still factors. Motion offense doesn't require a "dominant" point guard like some players want to be. So you have limitations there.

I was a little worried that I may be chastised as a troll, so thank you to you all, except obviously one poster, for your feedback! Now that AJ is coming back, I fully expect Ennis to take an extra hard look at our potential next year! The offseason is gonna be a battle of the bigs, now more than ever. I look for AJ and Isaac to transition from teacher-student to peer-peer and improve by a large margin! Oh, to be a fly on the wall in their practice sessions!

And I do feel honored to be worthy of a reply from the most delusional poster on these boards! BoilerUp

ADVERTISEMENT