ADVERTISEMENT

Cottom

If I am being a nice guy, I am going to guess that his injury problems junior year set him back. Then he couldn't work his way into the rotation.

If I am being realistic, Shoop is an idiot who emphasized home run plays and speed while playing a slower tempo and running smaller guys up the middle hoping a linebacker misses an assignment. Leaving a talented RB/FB hybrid out of the mix due to his lack of explosiveness and the fact that he wasn't a Hazell recruit.

If I am being a nice guy, I am going to guess that his injury problems junior year set him back. Then he couldn't work his way into the rotation.

If I am being realistic, Shoop is an idiot who emphasized home run plays and speed while playing a slower tempo and running smaller guys up the middle hoping a linebacker misses an assignment. Leaving a talented RB/FB hybrid out of the mix due to his lack of explosiveness and the fact that he wasn't a Hazell recruit.
I am like you because I never could figure out why Cottom didn't get more of a chance.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
He will do fine in NFL...Carroll knows athletes...if he doesn't stick with Seattle, someone will pick him up because he is having a good showing so far.

I know everyone rips on Danny Hope (I liked him because he was a players coach), but he did bring in some athletes to Purdue.

Purdue will get the train heading in right direction soon and then look out!

Boiler Up!

Still wonder why Cottom never played much?
If I just polished off a 12 pack or someone bashed me in the skull with a shovel I'd say this guy was Mke Alstott reborn totally misused by an inept PU staff who will thrive in the NFL. If I look at it objectively I'd say I wish and hope the best for him because I support my purdue athletes 100%, but seeing as he's currently the Seahawks 3rd string FB I think the odds are tough

Shoop not use someone correctly? I am shocked by that notion. He is supposed to be the greatest OC on the planet afterall.

Then again, this entire coaching staff is terrible so we really shouldn't expect anything different when it comes to using players correctly.

Shoop not use someone correctly? I am shocked by that notion. He is supposed to be the greatest OC on the planet afterall.

Then again, this entire coaching staff is terrible so we really shouldn't expect anything different when it comes to using players correctly.

Gerad Parker (was TE coach, now WR coach) & Marcus Freeman (LBs) are both quality guys. It's also hard to judge a defense when your team has essentially no offense.

Also, Cottom isn't really a FB just because he's a big guy. Blocking isnt his strong suit imo

Agree hes not a good full back, but if the Seahawks can find a use for him, surely we could also.

Cottom isn't really a FB just because he's a big guy. Blocking isnt his strong suit imo

Agree with this. Then next time he throws a good block will be the first.

Hope he makes it, but he spent too much time dancing and not enough time running north south.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
  1. Yeah, they definitely misused a guy who wasn't a very good running back and couldn't block like a fullback. Best of luck to him, I hope he can find a niche role in the NFL like a lot of other guys have. Everyone remembers 2012 like it was some magical breakout. But the kid had one big game for95 yards with an 87 yard run which everyone said was a horrible eastern michigan team and now he's the next Alstott. That one game was almost half his rushing yards that year. I was going to write a whole big thing but just look at the stats yourself. All people really seem to remember is the one big game he had against a poor team, and the 87 yard run and just assume he's good. The same thing with McCarthy. Good kids, not bad players, but to latch on to one performance and build them up as saviors when they showed more often than not that they couldn't get on the field is just not a healthy way to live. People fall in love with potential, it's human nature, but at some point reality has to come back into play.

I dont think anyone is saying Cottom is Alstott. Agree people fall in love with potential. Personally, I had written off Cottom as one of the attitude problems that players/coaches danced around in interviews. However, I maintain my stance that if he can make the Seahawks 90 man roster, he should be able to find playing time on a basement big ten team.

Nat,

Im sure you watched his 2013 MSU game? He was awesome. Unimpressive statline for sure, but you have to consider where the offense as a whole was, and how good that MSU D was that was stacking the box. What was unimpressive was his performance after that.

That said, I really dont care about Cottom, Monteroso, Mostert, or whoever. But I do care about the continued praise of players that play poorly and players with potential that dont get asked to do what they are good at in total.

I’m glad Cottom is getting a shot with an NFL team & hope he makes the most of it.

With this discussion, I don’t think there is any need to knock Cottom when figuring out why he didn’t get many carries last season. Hunt & Mostert were pretty darn good. Mostert was T-7th in yds/rush in the B1G last season. Hunt was T-9th. They both bested Cobb & both were as good or better than Langford in that category. What sane coaching staff would want to take carries away from backs who are producing like those two did last year? There is plenty of things to second guess & question about how the staff is running this team, but I don’t think last year’s RB situation is one of those.

As for that 2013 MSU game, Cottom’s first two rushes (for 21 yds) absolutely set a tone & confidence for the PU team that shouldn’t be ignored. Yet, at the end of the game, Hunt’s 9 carries (43 yds) against that same awesome MSU defense were more productive than Cottom’s 12 carries (39 yds).

I mean, its clear this kid had physical tools. Did you watch him play though? He was just an ok blocker. He wasn't a great pass catcher. He was just kind of an average football player.

If you want to dump on Hazell not using or developing him, youd have to dump on Hope too.

Seems like a good kid and a decent athlete. Its funny how people act like he was some squandered talent when all he's done is make a 90 man roster for an NFL team. Long way to go for him to stick around. He's not an actual NFL player (as in plays in games and contributes) yet.

Largely agree PB,

Cottom always looked to me like a center trying to play point guard. I can remember a couple plays from Hope years where he tried to dance around smaller guys in open space instead of just putting his head down and bowling them over. It looked silly.

I would say making a 90 man NFL roster is a significant accomplishment. Again, it doesnt make him Mike Alstott, but I struggle with the idea that Hazell and Hope could have correctly used/identified him as not very good AND the seahawks see enough to sign him.

Im not sure whats difficult about dumping on Hazell and Hope...

NFL teams fall in love with workouts. Im sure Cottom looks the part and did well at his pro day.

He will do fine in NFL...Carroll knows athletes...if he doesn't stick with Seattle, someone will pick him up because he is having a good showing so far.

I know everyone rips on Danny Hope (I liked him because he was a players coach), but he did bring in some athletes to Purdue.

Purdue will get the train heading in right direction soon and then look out!

Boiler Up!
As long as Shoop is running the O it is more likely Amtrack will keep it's trains on the rails in Philly than we will get OUR train heading in the right direction.

Largely agree PB,

Cottom always looked to me like a center trying to play point guard. I can remember a couple plays from Hope years where he tried to dance around smaller guys in open space instead of just putting his head down and bowling them over. It looked silly.

I would say making a 90 man NFL roster is a significant accomplishment. Again, it doesnt make him Mike Alstott, but I struggle with the idea that Hazell and Hope could have correctly used/identified him as not very good AND the seahawks see enough to sign him.

Im not sure whats difficult about dumping on Hazell and Hope...

I personally know two guys who have made NFL training camp rosters. Calling them good football players would be a stretch. They were decent in college but clearly not cut out for pro football, and they knew that as soon as they got to camp and stepped on the field with the real next level guys.

If the Seahawks even sign him to a practice squad deal, this would be something worth re-visiting. Until then, he still hasn't played a game in the league....just like a lot over underutilized but full of potential players in the past.

I personally know two guys who have made NFL training camp rosters. Calling them good football players would be a stretch. They were decent in college but clearly not cut out for pro football, and they knew that as soon as they got to camp and stepped on the field with the real next level guys.

If the Seahawks even sign him to a practice squad deal, this would be something worth re-visiting. Until then, he still hasn't played a game in the league....just like a lot over underutilized but full of potential players in the past.

Still think youre selling him short. Even if he's cut right away, hes still in the top 90*32=2880 best players, or at minimum best estimated players, in the world.

Lets say every college team balances out evenly at total between classes. That means 85/4*127 = 2698.75 seniors every year so if he is good enough to beat out the vast majority of seniors to get one of those 2880 spots given all the returning pros and guys trying to break into the league are also vying for those 2880 spots, thats a good enough endorsement for me that he should be able to contribute at Purdue.

Again, not saying its definitely Haz's fault, but the trend of players concerns me and is at a high level Haz's responcibility to fix.

Best of luck to Cottom, and best of luck to Haz.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Still think youre selling him short. Even if he's cut right away, hes still in the top 90*32=2880 best players, or at minimum best estimated players, in the world.

Lets say every college team balances out evenly at total between classes. That means 85/4*127 = 2698.75 seniors every year so if he is good enough to beat out the vast majority of seniors to get one of those 2880 spots given all the returning pros and guys trying to break into the league are also vying for those 2880 spots, thats a good enough endorsement for me that he should be able to contribute at Purdue.

Again, not saying its definitely Haz's fault, but the trend of players concerns me and is at a high level Haz's responcibility to fix.

Best of luck to Cottom, and best of luck to Haz.

I still think these guys getting signed to 90 man rosters is vastly overblown. Now, if we had a team full of first 4 rounders and were playing like we have been....Yeah, something is wrong.

That we have a lot of "athletes" getting try outs and camp deals tells me that recruiting wasn't and isn't where it should be and isn't where it was when Purdue was a top 5 or so Big Ten team during Tiller's tenure. I think its stretching HARD to say that we are squandering talent. Its clear the 'Hawks see something in Cottom's physical ability....as did Hope AND Hazell. There's a reason he wasn't getting touches. Let's let a professional staff get ahold of this kid and feel him out and put him in a position to succeed before we criticize the current staff for not doing the same.

Odds are, he never sees an NFL field.

I think its stretching HARD to say that we are squandering talent.

Not sure who used the word squandering first. Seems a bit extreme to me.

Now, if we had a team full of first 4 rounders and were playing like we have been...

Agree he probably doesnt play; thats not the point. There is a lot of in between room from 4 first rounders to where Purdue places guys in the NFL. No one is saying we have Alabama like players. The only point of threads like this is dispelling the notion that we have been so bad because Purdue has terrible unwinnable talent.

Not sure who used the word squandering first. Seems a bit extreme to me.

Agree he probably doesnt play; thats not the point. There is a lot of in between room from 4 first rounders to where Purdue places guys in the NFL. No one is saying we have Alabama like players. The only point of threads like this is dispelling the notion that we have been so bad because Purdue has terrible unwinnable talent.

But that point is null and void when those guys never sniff a down in the NFL.

They dont need to make it to the field for that point to stand imo.

If we had no talent, none of these guys would get anything. Again, not saying its great talent on the roster, but definitely saying Purdue has middle of the road-ish talent.

The more scientific way would be to look at how many total signees there were this year (draftees+ signees) and see where Purdue stacks up this year and historically.

You are assuming that we would be middle of the road.

This would be vastly incorrect.

Respectfully, have any data on that? I bet purdue is +/- .5 sigma or 30th to 70th percentile; significantly better than their fbs ranking the last couple of years.

I mean, our rating has been bottom 30 the past 2 years.

You can go out and find lists of ALL of the free agent signings this year. That list is on average 25+ per team....made up of mostly rookies. That's the bottom of that 2800+ players that are on NFL 90 men rosters. That bottom obviously rotates much more than the top 53 that actually make rosters or the other 10 on practice squads.

So, once a guy doesn't make an NFL roster more often than not he leaves football. So who does that leave to fill the 90 spots for next year's camp? It's very rare that 2nd or 3rd year guys get rookie camp / training camp invites. Its mostly full of Rookies that didn't get drafted fighting for maybe 1 spot between like 30 camp invitees.

Again, talk to me when all this squandered talent makes some kind....any kind of impact at the next level.

well yeah, I could look it up and compile the data. I do too much of that for money to do it for free.

More to your analysis though, if thats true about a lack of 2nd and 3rd year guys on rosters I can see what youre saying. That also gets me wondering how arena and CFL get their guys

They dont need to make it to the field for that point to stand imo.

If we had no talent, none of these guys would get anything. Again, not saying its great talent on the roster, but definitely saying Purdue has middle of the road-ish talent.
Or you could say it appears he's getting more of a look from Seattle's coaching staff than Hazell's and his staff which to me is perplexing.

Or you could say it appears he's getting more of a look from Seattle's coaching staff than Hazell's and his staff which to me is perplexing.

What's the difference? He was on Purdue's 85 man roster for 4 years and is on Seattle's 90 man for what, 5 days?

If he makes the team, we can revisit this. He got his shot at Purdue. He'll get his shot in Seattle. What's the difference?

You do realize that this guy was attempted to be worked in the rotation by not 1 but 2 staffs at Purdue and never stuck right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT