ADVERTISEMENT

Card

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
Seriously why do our coaches continue to send him out there? I dont get it. Card is a shell of himself from earlier this year. He's seeing ghosts out there, and I think the coaches are actually doing him a disservice by sending him out there. Definitely sending the wrong message to the team imo.

Also, all this about our line sucking. While they may not be great, its up to the coaches to put the players in position to succeed with what they have. Quick passes, screens, more QB draws would seem to mitigate heavy pass rushes on seemingly every play. It's bewildering to me that Harrell, who threw for a shit ton of yardage in college, doesn't understand this.

Seriously why do our coaches continue to send him out there? I dont get it. Card is a shell of himself from earlier this year. He's seeing ghosts out there, and I think the coaches are actually doing him a disservice by sending him out there. Definitely sending the wrong message to the team imo.

Also, all this about our line sucking. While they may not be great, its up to the coaches to put the players in position to succeed with what they have. Quick passes, screens, more QB draws would seem to mitigate heavy pass rushes on seemingly every play. It's bewildering to me that Harrell, who threw for a shit ton of yardage in college, doesn't understand this.
Maybe the step down to the second string QB is too significant?

Agree about shaking things up to address issues on the offensive line. Brees ran for like 500 yards his senior year because defenses adjusted to the spread offense. Even some basic adjustments seem obvious at this point.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I mean did you see who was playing on the OL? You’re playing NAIA golfers and have to move your C to RT. It’s a disaster. Card has been bad, no doubt, but he clearly does not believe in the guys up front. And it’s tough to blame him at this point.

I mean did you see who was playing on the OL? You’re playing NAIA golfers and have to move your C to RT. It’s a disaster. Card has been bad, no doubt, but he clearly does not believe in the guys up front. And it’s tough to blame him at this point.
good post, the injuries hurt to as far as continuity goes and there is no depth, was Byzinski, Fox, Watson and Richards that bad. Aren't Carpenter, Roberts, or Liston ready ?

Last edited:
I new Hudson Card was going to be a very average quarterback at best. That’s why I was so pissed off that they just let Brady Allen walk away to Louisville the way he did. Card is not a classic drop back passer, he is a dual threat QB, and they never work out at Purdue. Everyone of the successful great quarterbacks at Purdue have been gunslingers and pocket passer’s going all the way back to Len Dawson. I watched a few games that Card played when he was at Texas and I was not impressed at all.

Reactions: pboiler18
I'm sure Brady Allen, who was unable to pass guys like Burton and Alaimo, would be killing it right now on this Purdue team. He's 6th on the Louisville depth chart lol. He'll be in the portal again and wind up playing at some scrub school and we'll still have dolts on here mad at Walters for not handing him the starting job. smh

I new Hudson Card was going to be a very average quarterback at best. That’s why I was so pissed off that they just let Brady Allen walk away to Louisville the way he did. Card is not a classic drop back passer, he is a dual threat QB, and they never work out at Purdue. Everyone of the successful great quarterbacks at Purdue have been gunslingers and pocket passer’s going all the way back to Len Dawson. I watched a few games that Card played when he was at Texas and I was not impressed at all.
My question is this dual threat part. Where is that?
He did have that one 25 yard run or so in the Michigan game. However, there have been multiple times over this season where he seems hesitant to run.
Are the coaches holding him back or is he not a dual threat QB?

w/ this line , Allen would have been a class ic dropped on his back passer. Maybe some people watched the Jets last night, their OLine has had injuries and were bad to begin with. So far this season, the Jets have had 1 game where they have scored 2 TD's. I'm not exonerating Card from some aspects, but football starts w/ the lines.

Reactions: z_one
As much of a critic as I am about Walters, the line depth wise is in a bad bad spot. I think we had 8 guys ready to play and actually contribute but we are down to #s 9 and 10 having to contribute because of injuries. Missing both tackles sucks. Having the other one as a walk on and the other playing hurt isn’t great.

That said…we did t get the most out of Card or the line when they were healthy…so it’s mostly an excuse for now.

I do question why Preciado, Oben and a few other promising young guys are allowed to stay on the team if they can’t at least contribute now.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I mean I thought Hud was exaggerating when he said Allen was sixth on Louisville's depth chart, but nope, he's literally sixth. I won't dispute that Card is mediocre at best. Possible below mediocre, but I find it hard to believe that the fifth best QB at Louisville would excel here at Purdue much less the sixth best.

I mean I thought Hud was exaggerating when he said Allen was sixth on Louisville's depth chart, but nope, he's literally sixth. I won't dispute that Card is mediocre at best. Possible below mediocre, but I find it hard to believe that the fifth best QB at Louisville would excel here at Purdue much less the sixth best.
Allen is 6th on the depth chart? I thought I saw that he got into a game earlier this year late in mop up duty. Do you have a link for Louisville’s depth chart? I’d be interested in seeing that. If true, he’s been a major bust. He was highest ranked QB we landed since Kyle Orton.

Allen is 6th on the depth chart? I thought I saw that he got into a game earlier this year late in mop up duty. Do you have a link for Louisville’s depth chart? I’d be interested in seeing that. If true, he’s been a major bust. He was highest ranked QB we landed since Kyle Orton.
Our lads only goes 5 deep and he's not on there.

Our lads only goes 5 deep and he's not on there.

Walters was left without a starting quarterback, period. He felt Card was the best he could get. He's riding Card even though he has been injured and running for his life. Maybe it is the way Walters has used him, I don't know, but no one should argue that Walters had a decent quarterback to run the controls when he took over. That just isn't true. I still think Card is a decent quarterback, but he's not a miracle worker. With injuries and being so thin at several positions, we have had no margin for error. With a new coach, and one with no experience as a head coach, there is always going to be errors.

My question is this dual threat part. Where is that?
He did have that one 25 yard run or so in the Michigan game. However, there have been multiple times over this season where he seems hesitant to run.
Are the coaches holding him back or is he not a dual threat QB?
What’s the difference? Ian called it - you need a slinger at Purdue to have success. Specifically IMO someone with good check down reads (patience and vision), and a quick release. Any of the runningbacks on the team can get more ypc than Card, and every time he handles the ball and doesn’t hand it off, he has a better expected gain with a passing attempt than trying to be mobile. Unless the defense is just giving it to you out of respect for your passing game, I don’t see much benefit in even utilizing such a strategy in most cases. As long as you’ve got a high completion percentage, it’s better to try and get a completion and then at the last second if you can’t throw it away or scramble - but only as a last option. I also agree with Ian in that when I heard Card was a dual threat quarterback, immediately wondered why our school has forgotten about the lack of success we’ve had with that approach in the past. Maybe he would work out in some other offense, but not any kind of O that’s ever going to have success at Purdue in the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT