ADVERTISEMENT

Captain Don't Come Back

The little bit of stuff I read made it seem a little ambiguous. That the coaching staff may have been pushing him to not play because hes a freaking kid who already has arthritis in his knee. Isnt it plausible they are looking out for his long term health/future. It wouldn't surprise me either way.

I don't want to see it go all the way to a union, but its probably necessary. Kids should have been granted 4 year schollies with more reasonable compensation, and better health care a long time ago. All of this of course, subject to a reasonable code of conduct.

Reactions: Frankie611
What would Harbaugh have to gain? Technically, he would still remain on scholarship and count against their scholarship limit. Sounds like a coach trying to get a kid to do the right thing.

What would Harbaugh have to gain? Technically, he would still remain on scholarship and count against their scholarship limit. Sounds like a coach trying to get a kid to do the right thing.

No, if he takes a medical scholarship, he would no longer be one of the 85 football schollies that counts against the total. That's why the pressure is on him to take it....to free up a spot.

If I were this kid I'd be a heck of a lot more concerned about the long-term repercussions of multiple concussions rather than some knee arthritis. I would think that the head injuries played into some of this decision by the coaches, even though he had been cleared medically by a neurologist.

No, if he takes a medical scholarship, he would no longer be one of the 85 football schollies that counts against the total. That's why the pressure is on him to take it....to free up a spot.
It wasn't a medical redshirt. This is accepting the scholarship by signing a form you will no longer play football, because of medical reasons. This is a retirement from football, but allows the school to pay for your schooling with an athletic scholarship. Still accounts against the scholarship total. This benefits the school in no way, and is for the benefit of the student only.

Last edited:
It wasn't a medical redshirt. This is accepting the scholarship by signing a form you will no longer play football, because of medical reasons. This is a retirement from football, but allows the school to pay for your schooling with an athletic scholarship. Still accounts against the scholarship total. This benefits the school in no way, and is for the benefit of the student only.
Medical hardship (I believe) is the terminology. You still maintain a scholarship funded by the athletic department to the university, but it's not counted as an athletic scholarship for purposes of the total scholarship count. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's only for the benefit of the student athlete though... since the kid won't count against the scholarship limit after taking the medical hardship (and agreeing to quick football), there is something to be gained by the football program (assuming of course they can fill the spot with an individual whose on-field productivity is higher).

Reactions: pboiler18

Yeah, thanks for proving you have no clue what you are talking about. Alabama and some other SEC teams have been doing this to force kids out for SEVERAL years that aren't factoring in on the depth chart.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703384204575509901468451306

Dude wtf.. you're such an ass. I had just read the press release from Michigan, ""After consulting with our medical team, we do not think it is in Ondre's best interest as it relates to his health and welfare to play football, short or long term," Harbaugh said in a statement given to ESPN on Friday. "He remains on full scholarship and counts toward the 85-scholarship limit in pursuit of graduation from the University of Michigan." I love all you keyboard warriors. I'm sure you got your asses stomped a lot in real life..

Dude wtf.. you're such an ass. I had just read the press release from Michigan, ""After consulting with our medical team, we do not think it is in Ondre's best interest as it relates to his health and welfare to play football, short or long term," Harbaugh said in a statement given to ESPN on Friday. "He remains on full scholarship and counts toward the 85-scholarship limit in pursuit of graduation from the University of Michigan." I love all you keyboard warriors. I'm sure you got your asses stomped a lot in real life..

You TOLD me I was wrong. Definitively. Just said I was wrong....and then made up a whole bunch of BS to try and support it.

Is there some place you tell people they are wrong with no actual support and have them just step aside and not correct you? If so, it's NOT the internet. Hahaha.

You are incorrect. He only counts toward the 85 scholarships BECAUSE HE DIDN'T SIGN the medical release form that Harbaugh and his band of stooges were pressuring him to sign.

If / when he signs it, he will no longer count toward the 85 scholarships, just like jay Simpson example that another poster referenced.

Reactions: Statey
You are incorrect. He only counts toward the 85 scholarships BECAUSE HE DIDN'T SIGN the medical release form that Harbaugh and his band of stooges were pressuring him to sign.

If / when he signs it, he will no longer count toward the 85 scholarships, just like jay Simpson example that another poster referenced.

Yeah, we already have that established, but thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Why do you think Jim H felt the need to clarify that he still counted towards the 85? They were trying to get him off the count through the medical hardship waiver. Jordan Shine from one of our classes a few years ago had the same thing. He never hit the field though.

Yeah it doesnt count... Jay Simpson was on this. Does anyone know if he is still at Purdue?
I asked about Jay at an event last year. The coaches were slightly ambiguous as to how he was doing. Morgan, not so much. It doesn't sound like Jay was dedicated to his schooling like he should have been. I pray he has turned it around since then. That has to be tough to go from NBA potential to never playing again overnight. But if he doesn't get a degree it will only get much worse.

Why do you think Jim H felt the need to clarify that he still counted towards the 85? They were trying to get him off the count through the medical hardship waiver. Jordan Shine from one of our classes a few years ago had the same thing. He never hit the field though.

Shine was a really good prospect and I don't think he made it through more than 3-4 camp sessions before they ruled that medically he couldn't play. While they both involve medical hardships, Shine's situation wasn't about getting him off the roster to bring in a better player. For all intents and purposes...he was the better player...just tough luck that it didn't work out for him.

Shine was a really good prospect and I don't think he made it through more than 3-4 camp sessions before they ruled that medically he couldn't play. While they both involve medical hardships, Shine's situation wasn't about getting him off the roster to bring in a better player. For all intents and purposes...he was the better player...just tough luck that it didn't work out for him.
Yes thank you for clarifying. I forgot other people were reading the thread. I assumed all I was going to get was a barrage of insults as a response so I didn't go into details :)

ADVERTISEMENT