ADVERTISEMENT

Call me naive but I did not realize…

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
That we pay non-conference teams to come play us. I thought they just got a split of the gate.

Coach Shondell said in his presser that it wasn’t that way when he first started but has become common-place. He said Minnesota had to pay High Point $14K to come play them. And that is in an arena where, because of capacity, their cut of the gate would be considerably more than they would get at Holloway.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
That we pay non-conference teams to come play us. I thought they just got a split of the gate.

Coach Shondell said in his presser that it wasn’t that way when he first started but has become common-place. He said Minnesota had to pay High Point $14K to come play them. And that is in an arena where, because of capacity, their cut of the gate would be considerably more than they would get at Holloway.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocRon
Guarantee games are most common in football and basketball games. It used to be in volleyball—especially for tournaments— host teams would provide lodging (hotels) for 2-3 nights. Times have changed.

Reactions: DocRon
“Buy” games are small schools vs power 5 schools.

Us playing ucla is not a buy game. Last time I knew we were in a power 5 conference but who knows maybe we joined the OVC and didn’t hear about it. 😂 UCLA did not pay us. We don’t need the money. 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: MichaelRR
“Buy” games are small schools vs power 5 schools.

Us playing ucla is not a buy game. Last time I knew we were in a power 5 conference but who knows maybe we joined the OVC and didn’t hear about it. 😂 UCLA did not pay us. We don’t need the money. 🙄
You are partially correct; power 5 schools generally play home and home.... but we aren't getting a return game, so if this was not a pay game, we got curbstomped and got nothing out of it..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT