ADVERTISEMENT

Business Decision

BoilerJS

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
All along Brian was claiming this would be a business decision. I think Biggie made the right choice for a number of reasons. First MSU has had success and their starting 4 is gone. Second Purdue has their 4 for the future in VE. Painter likes skilled 4's ala Rob and VE. And for the 5 spot I doubt Biggie Swanigan, was going to oust Hugie, Haas at the 5.
Now I think MSU was Barnes choice all along. He was using Purdue and Cal to promote his product. Brian took the bait at least to the tune of 35%.
Biggie didn't go to one of the blue bloods because Barnes knew he wouldn't stand out, hell maybe not even start there.

One of my biggest problems is that Purdue seams to have several alums that don't steer kids in our direction and Im not sure why. I'm not sure why Barns wouldn't, he played both football and hoops here. Same situation with Gary Harris and his mom. Thankfully Stephens came here. Seams like there are a lot of Purdue ties out there that we keep wiffing on.

Agree with OP about the 4/5 spots here at Purdue which is why I was not pissed why we didn't land him. I got why we were recruiting him but in all honesty it didn't make too much sense in terms of what the motion offense needs.

If he does end up being asked to play the 5, then Painter needs to etch that in stone and not be too much of a gentleman down the road to point that out to a recruit if a similar situation arises with Izzo trying to poach Indiana talent again.

Originally posted by *4purdue*:
One of my biggest problems is that Purdue seams to have several alums that don't steer kids in our direction and Im not sure why. I'm not sure why Barns wouldn't, he played both football and hoops here. Same situation with Gary Harris and his mom. Thankfully Stephens came here. Seams like there are a lot of Purdue ties out there that we keep wiffing on.
Question....and I do understand your frustrations....how many IU players sons have come back to Bloomington? How many UK players sons or daughters come back to Lexington? How'd the Buckeye star Jackson's kid wind up playing for the Count in Madison and why didn't he follow his dad? And before you say it, yeah I know this is PU and not IU, UK, OSU, or Buckyland.

James Blackmon Jr., twenty minutes before he put on the IU hat and announced for Crean, was reported to be a "SOLID" Kentucky get. His mom wanted him in IU because she didn't want him to follow and be compared to James Sr. and because SHE BELIEVED he'd get a better education there.

There are so many kids that never follow their parents to the same institution, and there's many reasons why, not the least of having to live up to dad's or mom's reputations. We teach our children growing up, to be different than us...to seek their own plateau...to break out their own path and follow it. We do that from the time they're a very young age, and if you look around, most of our kids have done that.

Where athletics are concerned, it's unusual for kids TO FOLLOW their parent's to the same school. Friends, coaches, relationships built with club coaches, girlfriends, and even in the case of CS...handlers...have a much larger influence at the age of so-called maturity than parents.

Business decision.....Don't be naïve. When you hear the rumor is out that CS is going to CAL, and then you hear the "CS Camp" follow that with "it is a business decision where CS goes" that is simply dialogue to the behind the scenes money men that more cash needs to come our way. I believe the MSU coaching staff is NOT a part of this directly....and does NOT know directly about these dealings or the administration of them....but both parties are aware & know behind the scenes happenings goes on....... and each side benefits from it accordingly.

And now, the business is now concluded......Congrats to MSU....they got a nice player, we all would have liked to have.

Originally posted by Boiler Buck:

Business decision.....Don't be naïve. When you hear the rumor is out that CS is going to CAL, and then you hear the "CS Camp" follow that with "it is a business decision where CS goes" that is simply dialogue to the behind the scenes money men that more cash needs to come our way. I believe the MSU coaching staff is NOT a part of this directly....and does NOT know directly about these dealings or the administration of them....but both parties are aware & know behind the scenes happenings goes on....... and each side benefits from it accordingly.

And now, the business is now concluded......Congrats to MSU....they got a nice player, we all would have liked to have.
BB, I really, really agree with this post. Wish I knew more on the exact transactions and promises that take place. I anyone has specifics (not necessarily MSU related, but in general) please share.

It is interesting how shoe companies dictate things. Typically the big name recruit chooses a school (or list of schools) that sponsor his AAU team (and in turn him). The shoe companies provide lots of money to fund the AAU program; its not like these kids are paying for their uniform and travel expenses to the tournaments, which is quite expensive.

I remember while at Purdue seeing Mack Gaddis and Herb Robinson driving matching camaros with front license plates with their nicknames. I only saw the cars once - so no idea how long they had them. Probably loaner cars or something and I'm sure it was within rules (at least back then) - but that is the grey area I reference in a different post that some are more comfortable with than others.

Anyway, can somebody share with me how these 'handlers' are enriched and how the athletes also get benefits? I'm sure it happens for the handlers, i just dont know how?

Originally posted by Boiler Buck:

You don't think it was a "business decision"? Of all of the schools that Biggie was looking at, which one is the best combination of successful football program and successful basketball program with several soon-to-be pros coming from them each year?

Oh, wait, did you mean a business decision for Biggie?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT