ADVERTISEMENT

Brunk to Butler...

The staff might not have been blowing up his phone, but I'm not naive enough to believe that Painter wasn't still maintaining contact (i.e. recruiting him) while he was committed to MSU. Most of the communication was probably through Barnes anyway, so he wouldn't have had to talk with Biggie directly to keep a foot in the door. Within what seemed like minutes after his decommitment, Jeff Goodman was tweeting that Purdue was the likely landing spot, and this was right after Swanigan himself had stated a top 3 that Purdue wasn't in.

I don't necessarily believe anything truly dirty happened with continuing to recruit him, I think that's just the way it goes down these days with star players being so vital to a coach's success (and thus their employment). And Dakich said that same night that it was "done" to Purdue. Regardless of all the stupidness that ensued later about done vs. done deal... whatever. Dakich stuck by his info and said "he's going to Purdue" all the way. I get that these guys need to go out on a limb a little for the sake of their audience, but I suspect there was a reason that he and Goodman were so quick to report what they did.

I don't know what the point was of your whole rant here....but I do agree it is naive to think that Painter wasn't at least in touch with somebody in the camp.

That said, why are MSU fans still talking about this? It was clear his best chance to play the 4 was here. Talking about this over and over....does it make you feel better? You've basically stated that YOU THING there were shady, backdoor dealings about this without coming out and actually admitting it. Still bitter huh?

I don't know, maybe we should actually beat Butler for a change before announcing how much better we are than them.
Historically, we are a better program than Butler. In recent years, Butler has owned Purdue. So has Xavier. You are right that Purdue (and Painter especially) should be beating Butler and Xavier more than they (he) have (has). On paper, Purdue should beat Butler this coming season. We have a better returning team. Our track record coming off finals week and playing in the Crossroads Classic has been abysmal. Time to change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnHoosierr
The staff might not have been blowing up his phone, but I'm not naive enough to believe that Painter wasn't still maintaining contact (i.e. recruiting him) while he was committed to MSU. Most of the communication was probably through Barnes anyway, so he wouldn't have had to talk with Biggie directly to keep a foot in the door. Within what seemed like minutes after his decommitment, Jeff Goodman was tweeting that Purdue was the likely landing spot, and this was right after Swanigan himself had stated a top 3 that Purdue wasn't in.

I don't necessarily believe anything truly dirty happened with continuing to recruit him, I think that's just the way it goes down these days with star players being so vital to a coach's success (and thus their employment). And Dakich said that same night that it was "done" to Purdue. Regardless of all the stupidness that ensued later about done vs. done deal... whatever. Dakich stuck by his info and said "he's going to Purdue" all the way. I get that these guys need to go out on a limb a little for the sake of their audience, but I suspect there was a reason that he and Goodman were so quick to report what they did.

Did you switch off MSU petrol duties with 340DUster? Good to know we are still under MSU's careful watch.

Frankly, I think you are full of it about the contact between Painter and Biggie, or Biggie's family, once Biggie committed. Once Biggie recanted his commitment, they might have called Purdue to find out if Painter would still take him. However, it was abundantly clear that wherever he was going to go, it wasn't going to be MSU.

:cool:

Did you switch off MSU petrol duties with 340DUster? Good to know we are still under MSU's careful watch.
I guess I'm not smart enough to get the joke in the first sentence as I have no idea what a 340 duster is... but what I can tell you for sure is, contrary to my handle, I'm not an MSU guy. I would hope someone around here would recognize my handle, but I'm not a volume poster so maybe not.

He will be a senior next year. And that's just Painter being Painter which is something I happen to applaud him for. Just because other coaches slime their way though life doesn't mean every coach has to do it. As to communication, I'm sure he will say hello when he sees him at AAU events. But wasting time trying to flip a kid to me is counterproductive to finding a kid who isn't committed and will fill the slot quite nicely. No offense to Joey, but I doubt he's in the top 40.
Three years in college....the graduate transfer rule not high school!

Meanwhile, the Big East got off to a tremendous start which really helped them in the computer rankings.

The Big East has a lot going for it, but the one thing that I think they lack is an elite flagship program. They have nice, solid programs like Nova, Xavier, Geargetown, and Butler, but they lost their top three programs of Syracuse, Louisville, and UConn. That's tough to replace. Without huge alumni bases to sustain then, they need to keep the Big East brand as strong as possible. It would help them a lot if one of their teams made a Final Four run this season.

I don't think last year was really their strongest year (if you took the same 10 teams and looked at the last 5 years, last year was probably just a down year).

I agree they can't see too much of a slide initially and so far they've shown to be able to still recruit well. And the ability to retain their pretty promising coaches is also important.

Villanova has a five star in their 2015 and 2016 classes.

Georgetown had 2 four stars and a 5 star in their class last year to go along with 2 four stars coming in this year.

Marquette has a 5 star and 2 four stars coming in this year.

Providence has a returning 5 star who many thought should declare for the draft, with 4 four stars.

I guess I'm not smart enough to get the joke in the first sentence as I have no idea what a 340 duster is... but what I can tell you for sure is, contrary to my handle, I'm not an MSU guy. I would hope someone around here would recognize my handle, but I'm not a volume poster so maybe not.
All I know is that GBI insisted in their articles that Painter did not contact the family. Pretty sure some are free and it isn't something reserved to Swanigan. I do think he contacted the Zeller family over Tyler, but Matt is a now guy and doesn't try to change history. It's a waste of time. But you are free to believe what you want.

I recognized you're handle, I'm not a volume poster either and have been called a troll by mathboy also. Just ignore the people like them, they usually don't have much to offer but insults and seem to enjoy anonymously bullying over the internet.

Reactions: Hoogolf
Statey is a Purdue poster, not MSU.

Statey is a Purdue poster, not MSU.

Good to know. The handle of "Statey" mislead me. 340Duster spent a good part of more than one thread lecturing us on the MSU basketball team.

On the other hand, I still stand by objection to his speculation about Painter's actions. Statey is off-course there, as clearly documented in several interviews with Swanigan. Painter's SOP would also indicate no contact would be the correct assumption.

I recognized you're handle, I'm not a volume poster either and have been called a troll by mathboy also. Just ignore the people like them, they usually don't have much to offer but insults and seem to enjoy anonymously bullying over the internet.
I don't usually call other posters trolls, so I seriously doubt I called you one. It is not a word I toss around too frequently unless someone really deserved it. I will disagree with some on here, but if they pose reasonable arguments about their positions, I will debate without calling any names. I usually find that I don't need to call anybody anything.

Jokers that come on here to flame and post idiotic stuff, well, those are the clowns I will freely refer to as trolls.

Well when the shoe fits ... You've been called a troll by many on here and that label is quite warranted with some of the posts you have had.

Statey, I've seen you here before. Just hang in there. Johnny, your name is troublesome ;)
Btw, it refers to a 70's Plymouth Duster with a 340 C.I. engine. The problem with that is that guy is a MSU fan.

Good to know. The handle of "Statey" mislead me. 340Duster spent a good part of more than one thread lecturing us on the MSU basketball team.

On the other hand, I still stand by objection to his speculation about Painter's actions. Statey is off-course there, as clearly documented in several interviews with Swanigan. Painter's SOP would also indicate no contact would be the correct assumption.

I may very well be off-course, it's just my opinion. Maybe I'm connecting some dots that don't exist, but I wasn't trying to suggest Purdue was cheating. After rereading my earlier post, I can see how the combination of my content and my handle may have given the impression I was. That's my fault.

To better explain why I hold the opinion I shared ... wasn't it reported here that MSU broke the decommit news, the timing of which caught Barnes off-guard? That would lead one to believe that the decommitment was already quietly in place and known to Izzo, would it not? So if the conventional wisdom is that MSU leaked it, they first had to know about it. And if they knew about it, it had to be because Swanigan/Barnes told them that (how else would MSU know?). And if they told MSU the decommit was coming, it stands to reason they would be continuing conversations with other schools/coaches since they know they weren't sticking with the one they're presented committed to.

So... I don't think my conclusion/opinion is totally off the wall. Other than assuming that Painter maintained some level of contact with Swanigan and/or Barnes while he was committed, I just don't know how else to make sense of the fact that 15 minutes after he decommits from MSU, Goodman is reporting Purdue is the likely landing spot... when the last publicly stated info since his MSU commitment was a direct quote from Biggie announcing Purdue wasn't in his top 3. But again, until kids sign with a school (or tell other coaches to leave them alone), I think it's fair game to continue to recruit them.

I may very well be off-course, it's just my opinion. Maybe I'm connecting some dots that don't exist, but I wasn't trying to suggest Purdue was cheating. After rereading my earlier post, I can see how the combination of my content and my handle may have given the impression I was. That's my fault.

To better explain why I hold the opinion I shared ... wasn't it reported here that MSU broke the decommit news, the timing of which caught Barnes off-guard? That would lead one to believe that the decommitment was already quietly in place and known to Izzo, would it not? So if the conventional wisdom is that MSU leaked it, they first had to know about it. And if they knew about it, it had to be because Swanigan/Barnes told them that (how else would MSU know?). And if they told MSU the decommit was coming, it stands to reason they would be continuing conversations with other schools/coaches since they know they weren't sticking with the one they're presented committed to.

So... I don't think my conclusion/opinion is totally off the wall. Other than assuming that Painter maintained some level of contact with Swanigan and/or Barnes while he was committed, I just don't know how else to make sense of the fact that 15 minutes after he decommits from MSU, Goodman is reporting Purdue is the likely landing spot... when the last publicly stated info since his MSU commitment was a direct quote from Biggie announcing Purdue wasn't in his top 3. But again, until kids sign with a school (or tell other coaches to leave them alone), I think it's fair game to continue to recruit them.
My understanding was that Barnes did contact Izzo and told him that Biggie had a change of heart. Izzo (or someone from the MSU side) then "leaked" the news, trying to get ahead of things. I believe Izzo wanted to somehow paint Purdue in a bad light.

I do not believe that Biggie or Barnes had substantive conversations with any other school until AFTER Biggie had decommitted from MSU. I do think Biggie talked to some of the Cal players off and on, but after thinking through the scenarios, Cal wasn't as good of an option as Purdue in the end.

Reactions: Heller

And many D1 coaches agree with you since many do seem to continue to recruit committed kids. But there are two factors here. Many coaches won't do it within a conference and some like Matt, don't do it at all. Some people will open a door for a lady, others won't. Some women will say thank you, others don't. Just depends on where you want to draw your own line.

Lol, yeah like I said. Completely warranted in your case.
You're the poster who never offers anything of substance(only insults), yet have the audacity to call someone else a troll.
Just at a glance, I think your sig profile name makes you look like trollish whether you are or not. Hell, in Utah and Eastern Idaho if your last name is Smith people say you must be LDS even though I'm sure there are some who are not. I think we should use Gollum instead of troll sometimes.

Reactions: mathboy
You're the poster who never offers anything of substance(only insults), yet have the audacity to call someone else a troll.
JH,

Kesselschmiede is nowhere close to being a d-bag or a troll. He's come after you because you are new to the board and have posted some inflammatory comments. I find many of his posts to be substantive and few of them have been insulting. This is really between you and him, but I don't think you'll find much support taking the route you're taking...

Reactions: mathboy
JH,

Kesselschmiede is nowhere close to being a d-bag or a troll. He's come after you because you are new to the board and have posted some inflammatory comments. I find many of his posts to be substantive and few of them have been insulting. This is really between you and him, but I don't think you'll find much support taking the route you're taking...
Luckily I don't come here for "support", but if you want proof other people agree with me my comment already received a "like".

*chuckle*, I give what people deserve and have engaged in many a good discussion on here. But thanks for proving my point about you regardless.

Just at a glance, I think your sig profile name makes you look like trollish whether you are or not. Hell, in Utah and Eastern Idaho if your last name is Smith people say you must be LDS even though I'm sure there are some who are not. I think we should use Gollum instead of troll sometimes.

"SHIRE!"....."HOOSIERS!"

Hoogolf? I've never seen this person post here once.
I suspect that old johnny here has many IDs on here. And you are very right when you described my posting habits above. If I am giving someone grief on here, then it is because they have had trollish posts to on here to begin with.

I suspect that old johnny here has many IDs on here. And you are very right when you described my posting habits above. If I am giving someone grief on here, then it is because they have had trollish posts to on here to begin with.

I'm not Johnny, but if want to assume otherwise, have at it. I'll be just fine. :!

No substance per usual. But hey, what else is new?

Just reading the exchange you have with several regular posters kind'a proves a point. I don't think you are a troll, but you are unnecessarily argumentative , and you don't pick your battles wisely. We'd all love to welcome you with open arms, but it would be like trying to hug a prickly pear.

I don't agree with Kessel's perspective, so don't start sorting all posters into a for-me/agin-me categories. Calling him a D Bag was unnecessary as well.

Many of the posters here don't care much for folks that call names and act out when they get called out for bad behavior, not that you did, mind you. However, your later exchanges are troubling at best. I would recommend repairing fences and cooling tempers.

Last edited:
Does that mean that I have a fan club now? If you're that concerned, I've hit the like button for GemstateBoiler, heller, mathboy & others... But oddly, not for you.
Am I seriously supposed to care that you didn't hit the like button on a post of mine? Seriously? Are you twelve? Thanks though, that literally made me laugh out loud.

Just reading the exchange you have with several regular posters kind'a proves a point. I don't think you are a troll, but you are unnecessarily argumentative , and you don't pick your battles wisely. We'd all love to welcome you with open arms, but it would be like trying to hug a prickly pear.

I don't agree with Kessel's perspective, so don't start sorting all posters into a for-me/agin-me categories. Calling him a D Bag was unnecessary as well.

Many of the posters here don't care much for folks that call names and act out when they get called out for bad behavior, not that you did, mind you. However, your later exchanges are troubling at best. I would recommend repairing fences and cooling tempers.

And I actually can appreciate that you don't agree with my perspective. There is a right way and a wrong way to go about things and I can assure you that I don't go on tirades unless there is a reason. Which I have explained already.

Basically the tactic I use is very effective at exposing people that want to troll. Sort of a hit with their own material ploy and it is appearing to work on JH.

I will gladly have a civil discussion with anyone and do quite a bit on here. The ones that I come after like JH have given reason to doubt them in the past so I immediately question their motives. The thing is though, I do not care how my internet persona is looked at on here or any chat forum for that matter. It's the internet and if someone doesn't like me, both literally and with the like button, I am not going to lose one bit of sleep over it. If people are that wrapped up in how they are looked at on a chat forum, then they need to go outside more.

And I actually can appreciate that you don't agree with my perspective. There is a right way and a wrong way to go about things and I can assure you that I don't go on tirades unless there is a reason. Which I have explained already.

Basically the tactic I use is very effective at exposing people that want to troll. Sort of a hit with their own material ploy and it is appearing to work on JH.

I will gladly have a civil discussion with anyone and do quite a bit on here. The ones that I come after like JH have given reason to doubt them in the past so I immediately question their motives. The thing is though, I do not care how my internet persona is looked at on here or any chat forum for that matter. It's the internet and if someone doesn't like me, both literally and with the like button, I am not going to lose one bit of sleep over it. If people are that wrapped up in how they are looked at on a chat forum, then they need to go outside more.
I get what you are trying to do and I actually forgot I had JohnnyHoosier on ignore, so before I left he and I must of went around a few times. So you might have some evidence to support your notion.

That said, there really is no reason for it to keep going around and around .. make your point and move on. Eventually all you end up with is starting to appear exactly like the people you are trying to call out.

Just my 2 Pfennig so don't take offense. I wouldn't want you going all Joaquin Phoenix on me :D

Reactions: Heller
Am I seriously supposed to care that you didn't hit the like button on a post of mine? Seriously? Are you twelve? Thanks though, that literally made me laugh out loud.

I'm glad that I made my biggest fan laugh. I think BBG just proved who is acting like a 12 year old.

ADVERTISEMENT