ADVERTISEMENT

Brunk to Butler...

In relation to Purdue.....I imagine he saw more opportunity there @ Butler.....the fact that we have Haas for probably 3 more years & Taylor for 4 years might be seen as a threat to some who want immediate PT.

In relation to Purdue.....I imagine he saw more opportunity there @ Butler.....the fact that we have Haas for probably 3 more years & Taylor for 4 years might be seen as a threat to some who want immediate PT.
All true. We somehow need to get over this recruiting hump where guys don't want to come and compete against existing players. That doesn't mean Brunk was a Purdue lock if we didn't have Haas and Taylor, but since he chose to go mid-major it would seem he is concerned about playing time. I imagine he has other good offers like Iu, ILL, ect? Why would he not pick one of them and play B1G ball? OSU is the master at recruiting. They can somehow get top 40 recruits to come sit the bench for a year or longer without a lot of transfer problems.

All true. We somehow need to get over this recruiting hump where guys don't want to come and compete against existing players. That doesn't mean Brunk was a Purdue lock if we didn't have Haas and Taylor, but since he chose to go mid-major it would seem he is concerned about playing time. I imagine he has other good offers like Iu, ILL, ect? Why would he not pick one of them and play B1G ball? OSU is the master at recruiting. They can somehow get top 40 recruits to come sit the bench for a year or longer without a lot of transfer problems.

Even though the Big East isn't what it once was, it's still a very strong bball conf. I don't view Butler as mid-major any longer.

what don't you understand?
Go to a school like Butler when you have a chance to play in the B1G. Purdue is putting bigs in the NBA and developing them. Even if he didn't choose Purdue, he had IU and MSU looking at him also. Whatever. Stevens is not at Butler any longer.... I could at least see it when he was there.

Go to a school like Butler when you have a chance to play in the B1G. Purdue is putting bigs in the NBA and developing them. Even if he didn't choose Purdue, he had IU and MSU looking at him also. Whatever. Stevens is not at Butler any longer.... I could at least see it when he was there.

What bigs have we put in the NBA? I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. Butler has been a better program than Purdue for a long time. Not everyone that decides not to come is afraid of competition. He chose the better program. If you don't like it...try winning when it matters.

That's too bad. Damn, I liked this guy. Plus his name had that tough sound to it. Kind of like the sound you make when you smack someone in the head.

What bigs have we put in the NBA? I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. Butler has been a better program than Purdue for a long time. Not everyone that decides not to come is afraid of competition. He chose the better program. If you don't like it...try winning when it matters.

Accurate unfortunately. We got JJ drafted a few years back and... Landry a decade ago? Butler has won a lot more recently and has more opportunity with less depth to compete against. I don't see this as a head scratcher at all.

Accurate unfortunately. We got JJ drafted a few years back and... Landry a decade ago? Butler has won a lot more recently and has more opportunity with less depth to compete against. I don't see this as a head scratcher at all.
I don't know if it was a factor or not, but assuming Haas and Swanigan stay around for his first couple of years, there's a lot more obvious playing time opportunity early at Butler.

That said, he chose Butler over a lot of schools. He probably just liked the coaching staff and school. Lots of kids go where they feel comfortable.

I'd call Butler the Gonzaga of the midwest, but that would be a slight to Butler. They have not only had more recent tournament success than the zags (or Purdue/IU), they're in a better conference as well. Sucks to have another school in this state competing for recruits, but that seems to be the reality.

We have 3 on our current roster what will be in the NBA with Edwards having a real shot also.

I can agree with that. But it is closer to the ACC football model. A few very good teams followed by a bunch of teams that are good enough to beat you.

While the Big East has not had a strong beginning (like you said, last year they had 1 really good team then a bunch of solid but not great teams), they have a lot of potential.

Villanova and Georgetown are both teams who should be in the top 25 pretty regularly. Marquette and Xavier both have top 25 potential and have shown that over the years. St. John's/Providence are both teams who can be good in cycles (if not more so...particularly St. John's). Then you have teams like Creighton and Butler who came from smaller conferences and definitely have adjustments to make, but can be solid teams (and obviously Butler has been pretty consistent).

I don't think it'd be unheard of to regularly see 4 of their 10 teams ranked - and next year they probably have 3 preseason top 25 teams (Villanova, Georgetown and Butler). For a smaller conference, that's not bad at all. Them having 4 teams ranked would be like the Big Ten having 6 teams ranked.

All I can say is don't stop recruiting him until he signs with someone else in November or until we get a signed commitment from another player Purdue is seeking!

Guess once Painter started looking @ another Big Guy even in the 16 class (& offering Schnider Herard of TX) I should have known then that one of his primary Big targets was leaning hard elsewhere....

Wasn't the Big 12 completely out of the tourney by the 2nd weekend? I know what the rankings said....

but to say that the BIG and ACC weren't tops in basketball last year would be quite silly.

Some of that was driven early on with the OOC, where the Big Ten did not perform so well. The Big Twelve was pretty deep, but I agree.....their conference teams faded come tournament time.

Some of that was driven early on with the OOC, where the Big Ten did not perform so well. The Big Twelve was pretty deep, but I agree.....their conference teams faded come tournament time.
Meanwhile, the Big East got off to a tremendous start which really helped them in the computer rankings.

The Big East has a lot going for it, but the one thing that I think they lack is an elite flagship program. They have nice, solid programs like Nova, Xavier, Geargetown, and Butler, but they lost their top three programs of Syracuse, Louisville, and UConn. That's tough to replace. Without huge alumni bases to sustain then, they need to keep the Big East brand as strong as possible. It would help them a lot if one of their teams made a Final Four run this season.

This. I'm not losing any sleep over not landing another big. As someone else said we are loaded at that spot and have higher priority needs.
That kind of thinking is why we ended up with the seasons we did in 13 & 14. You have to think ahead & recruit ahead. It is possible all 3 bigs could turn pro after this year. Granted unlikely, but possible.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
All I can say is don't stop recruiting him until he signs with someone else in November or until we get a signed commitment from another player Purdue is seeking!
Painter won't recruit a kid who is verbaled to another school. Swanigan made the switch on his own after talking it over with family. Not saying the kid may not have other Purdue people in his ear, but the coaching staff won't be calling him. Besides, Butler to me is a good choice for this kid. I honestly don't see the NBA in his future which is not to say I'm knocking him or didn't want his verbal. But he's limited and will need a lot of one on one coaching to transform into someone who can hang with the worlds best. Finally, a lot of kids want a smaller environment than the giant state schools. He may be one of them.

That kind of thinking is why we ended up with the seasons we did in 13 & 14. You have to think ahead & recruit ahead. It is possible all 3 bigs could turn pro after this year. Granted unlikely, but possible.
I really can't see Issac leaving. He's an Engineering major and seems like his degree is very important to him. Plus he's a kid who seems to love college ball.

I root for Butler except when they play Purdue and the Hoyas. As such, good luck to both him and Butler. I hope that he has a great career for them. I hope that we replace him in recruiting with a player as good or better.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Yeah I see your point, But I just don't see Haas leaving early as like Heller said, his degree is important and he will finish that I bet then go pro and have something to fall back on.

Yeah I see your point, But I just don't see Haas leaving early as like Heller said, his degree is important and he will finish that I bet then go pro and have something to fall back on.
I hope so, but you also have to remember that this is Purdue and injury's & other factors have hurt us also. (i.e. Hummel, Simpson, etc...)

I hope so, but you also have to remember that this is Purdue and injury's & other factors have hurt us also. (i.e. Hummel, Simpson, etc...)
I don't think Painter is going to stop recruiting bigs, but the obvious must have is a PG and not another 5th year transfer either. I'm sure Brunk is a loss to the Purdue staff but he wasn't the top priority.

Painter won't recruit a kid who is verbaled to another school. Swanigan made the switch on his own after talking it over with family. Not saying the kid may not have other Purdue people in his ear, but the coaching staff won't be calling him. Besides, Butler to me is a good choice for this kid. I honestly don't see the NBA in his future which is not to say I'm knocking him or didn't want his verbal. But he's limited and will need a lot of one on one coaching to transform into someone who can hang with the worlds best. Finally, a lot of kids want a smaller environment than the giant state schools. He may be one of them.
That would be a mistake, imo, a lot of things could change at Butler and/or here until he signs! It is not against any rule and again, imo, you have keep the lines of communication open with any player you are interested in until signing day! It would also might help if he decides to transfer or play his Senior year at a different school if he graduates in three! jmo

That would be a mistake, imo, a lot of things could change at Butler and/or here until he signs! It is not against any rule and again, imo, you have keep the lines of communication open with any player you are interested in until signing day! It would also might help if he decides to transfer or play his Senior year at a different school if he graduates in three! jmo
He will be a senior next year. And that's just Painter being Painter which is something I happen to applaud him for. Just because other coaches slime their way though life doesn't mean every coach has to do it. As to communication, I'm sure he will say hello when he sees him at AAU events. But wasting time trying to flip a kid to me is counterproductive to finding a kid who isn't committed and will fill the slot quite nicely. No offense to Joey, but I doubt he's in the top 40.

Painter won't recruit a kid who is verbaled to another school. Swanigan made the switch on his own after talking it over with family. Not saying the kid may not have other Purdue people in his ear, but the coaching staff won't be calling him.
The staff might not have been blowing up his phone, but I'm not naive enough to believe that Painter wasn't still maintaining contact (i.e. recruiting him) while he was committed to MSU. Most of the communication was probably through Barnes anyway, so he wouldn't have had to talk with Biggie directly to keep a foot in the door. Within what seemed like minutes after his decommitment, Jeff Goodman was tweeting that Purdue was the likely landing spot, and this was right after Swanigan himself had stated a top 3 that Purdue wasn't in.

I don't necessarily believe anything truly dirty happened with continuing to recruit him, I think that's just the way it goes down these days with star players being so vital to a coach's success (and thus their employment). And Dakich said that same night that it was "done" to Purdue. Regardless of all the stupidness that ensued later about done vs. done deal... whatever. Dakich stuck by his info and said "he's going to Purdue" all the way. I get that these guys need to go out on a limb a little for the sake of their audience, but I suspect there was a reason that he and Goodman were so quick to report what they did.

ADVERTISEMENT