ADVERTISEMENT

Brees donates 1million

boiler17

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
https://purdue.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1776418

So this is good news. But Im scared that means the last weekend was more fund raiser than actual reevaluation of the program. I know its too early to presume that. Its June; sue me. But now that I think about it, the possibility that they just want money seems more likely than the higher ups realizing their policies suck really bad and being open to change.

I wish we would just eat the bullet and raise tuition to suppliment to whatever degree most p5 schools do. I seem to recall its a marginal amount per student, then you could give away tickets, and potentially not have an embarassingly empty stadium. Are there other ways for the university to give the athletic department money? Seems like even if you got the university to stop charging admin to the teams or some other measure, it would still net out to tuition. Im also not sure if the university saves money away year by year or have to spend it like a non for profit or whatever.

But the program isnt going to generate profits of its own anytime soon, and we already have few sports so Im not sure how else they can raise revenue or lower costs, so what else are they going to do? You need massive renovations in all of your football facilities, are going to be in the red for the forseeable future, and if you cant sell your product, I cant imagine you can get people to give you money for nothing to a significant degree.

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
Brees is a class act. He has done so much for Purdue on and off the field. Hopefully his one million dollars will encourage others to give and they can start updating the facilities. I know winning is what makes the difference but nice facilities doesn't hurt either.

Brees is a class act. He has done so much for Purdue on and off the field. Hopefully his one million dollars will encourage others to give and they can start updating the facilities. I know winning is what makes the difference but nice facilities doesn't hurt either.
I think it will help the fundraising for the football program, but I also like how Drew still talks up Purdue anytime he can. He is a great spokesperson for the University.

Do you think Brees would entertain the idea of being on staff at Purdue once he is done playing in the NFL? Kinda like Brian Cardinal? Sure couldn't hurt with recruiting.

Do you think Brees would entertain the idea of being on staff at Purdue once he is done playing in the NFL? Kinda like Brian Cardinal? Sure couldn't hurt with recruiting.
Nope! A lot of other things on his plate, and they love San Diego and New Orleans!

So this is good news. But Im scared that means the last weekend was more fund raiser than actual reevaluation of the program. I know its too early to presume that. Its June; sue me. But now that I think about it, the possibility that they just want money seems more likely than the higher ups realizing their policies suck really bad and being open to change.

I wish we would just eat the bullet and raise tuition to suppliment to whatever degree most p5 schools do. I seem to recall its a marginal amount per student, then you could give away tickets, and potentially not have an embarassingly empty stadium. Are there other ways for the university to give the athletic department money? Seems like even if you got the university to stop charging admin to the teams or some other measure, it would still net out to tuition. Im also not sure if the university saves money away year by year or have to spend it like a non for profit or whatever.

But the program isnt going to generate profits of its own anytime soon, and we already have few sports so Im not sure how else they can raise revenue or lower costs, so what else are they going to do? You need massive renovations in all of your football facilities, are going to be in the red for the forseeable future, and if you cant sell your product, I cant imagine you can get people to give you money for nothing to a significant degree.

Thanks Drew. Unfortunately, I am afraid that throwing money at the problem is not the answer for a bad situation that IMHO starts with leadership. Purdue has spend a lot of $$ over the last 10 years on athletics with very little in terms of success to show for it.

Brian Cardinal doesn't work day-to-day with basketball, certainly has nothing to do with recruiting.

Brian Cardinal doesn't work day-to-day with basketball, certainly has nothing to do with recruiting.
No disrespect to Cardinal, but he's nowhere near the name brand that Brees is. Having Drew in the slightest of positions on the staff would benefit recruiting. It's just not going to happen, though.

I didn't realize so many on the board were such good buds with Drew Brees. Maybe when you guys are hangin you could try and float the idea of him coming back to ole PU in some capacity when his playing days are over

I didn't realize so many on the board were such good buds with Drew Brees. Maybe when you guys are hangin you could try and float the idea of him coming back to ole PU in some capacity when his playing days are over
It's hard enough just to get him to come visit, never mind live. He loves Purdue, but it would take a lot of horses to drag them away from the coasts.

Thanks Drew. Unfortunately, I am afraid that throwing money at the problem is not the answer for a bad situation that IMHO starts with leadership. Purdue has spend a lot of $$ over the last 10 years on athletics with very little in terms of success to show for it.
I disagree. The track teams are trending up quickly and had good showings at the NCAA finals. Softball is signing a good class, golf remains strong and the new Pete Dye course will only help. Volleyball signed what is believed by most to be the best recruit in the country. We signed the top two bball players in state and the Mr. Football from two states. A Purdue diver again won multiple national titles this year.
I have a great view of the football slaughter that has taken place the last two years and it blows. I would trade a lot of the non-revenue success for a consistent 7-9 win football team that is in the hunt for a title, but don't ignore the success of the other programs, please.

Reactions: Mullah
It's hard enough just to get him to come visit, never mind live. He loves Purdue, but it would take a lot of horses to drag them away from the coasts.
Ahh, the allure of the West Coast,....and the South Coast? I wish I could think of an example of a pro QB returning to his alma mater in a capacity like say head coach, but nothing comes to mind

Ahh, the allure of the West Coast,....and the South Coast? I wish I could think of an example of a pro QB returning to his alma mater in a capacity like say head coach, but nothing comes to mind
You talking about Harbaugh? Jim is making about triple at UM of what he did when he played. I don't see us paying Drew $60M/year to coach. Drew rakes in about $50M/year these days. Like I said, he has other business ventures going on the side. He's the heart and soul of NO. He spends most of his off time in beautiful SD. He has a great wife and 4 young children. His plate is full for the next 25 years.

Reactions: Frankie611
You talking about Harbaugh? Jim is making about triple at UM of what he did when he played. I don't see us paying Drew $60M/year to coach. Drew rakes in about $50M/year these days. Like I said, he has other business ventures going on the side. He's the heart and soul of NO. He spends most of his off time in beautiful SD. He has a great wife and 4 young children. His plate is full for the next 25 years.[/QUOTE
Steve Spurrier comes to mind.

giphy.gif

You talking about Harbaugh? Jim is making about triple at UM of what he did when he played. I don't see us paying Drew $60M/year to coach. Drew rakes in about $50M/year these days. Like I said, he has other business ventures going on the side. He's the heart and soul of NO. He spends most of his off time in beautiful SD. He has a great wife and 4 young children. His plate is full for the next 25 years.
I have no idea why you would think we would have to pay Drew Brees $60 million a year to return to PU in some capacity. I don't know him, but I would guess he doesn't have to make too many decisions based on money. I'm just curious, since you feel his plate is full for the next 25 years, do you actually know him? I don't know if I could project a 25 year plan ( except for a lifer in prison ) for anyone, including myself!

I have no idea why you would think we would have to pay Drew Brees $60 million a year to return to PU in some capacity. I don't know him, but I would guess he doesn't have to make too many decisions based on money. I'm just curious, since you feel his plate is full for the next 25 years, do you actually know him? I don't know if I could project a 25 year plan ( except for a lifer in prison ) for anyone, including myself!
I brought up Drew's salary because you brought up Harbaugh. Comparing Drew to Harbaugh is ridiculous. Jim needed the money, unlike Drew. Drew made more in one year in the NFL than Jim did during his entire career. Drew is set. He doesn't need the headaches of a head coach. He has and will have a great life. He's already planning for future non-NFL days with his other businesses. I can see him possibly in the future coach his boys in middle school or high school (IF they decide to play football). Other than that, I really don't see him being too involved with the game once he retires. He will always love Purdue and help out the program whenever he gets a chance, but that's about it. Yes, I do know him and his wife. I know they are looking forward to watching their kids grow up and spending as much time with them as possible. I know they love SD and NO and aren't huge fans of IN. Not because IN is a bad place to live, but in comparison to SD and NO, there is none (for them). Nothing is 100%, but I'd put this at about 99%.

Harbaugh is different because he was an unpaid assistant for his father the last 8 years he played in the NFL. He had a unique intro into scouting and recruiting that Brees does not have. The situations arent even close to similar.

I brought up Drew's salary because you brought up Harbaugh. Comparing Drew to Harbaugh is ridiculous. Jim needed the money, unlike Drew. Drew made more in one year in the NFL than Jim did during his entire career. Drew is set. He doesn't need the headaches of a head coach. He has and will have a great life. He's already planning for future non-NFL days with his other businesses. I can see him possibly in the future coach his boys in middle school or high school (IF they decide to play football). Other than that, I really don't see him being too involved with the game once he retires. He will always love Purdue and help out the program whenever he gets a chance, but that's about it. Yes, I do know him and his wife. I know they are looking forward to watching their kids grow up and spending as much time with them as possible. I know they love SD and NO and aren't huge fans of IN. Not because IN is a bad place to live, but in comparison to SD and NO, there is none (for them). Nothing is 100%, but I'd put this at about 99%.
"Jim" had a net worth of 15 million and a salary of 5 million/year as of 2012, not exactly a pauper. Harbaugh a famous alum of Michigan, Brees of Purdue, thus the comparison. Exactly the same people in fame and fortune, of course not. Who is? Is Harbaugh the only famous alum to return to his university in some capacity in part due to maybe a little love for his university ( traded west coast for Midwest ), no he is not. Just the 1st that popped in my head. You spoke as if you had firsthand knowledge of the Brees family and not just items plucked from the internet, maybe you do. All I can say is, never say never

Good post. Need more fans and, especially, more students. Back in the day, students had a hard time finding a ticket to a home game. Too, at that time, everyone had Saturday morning classes, many beginng at ( gasp) 7:30 AM. Perhaps we should reinstitute Saturday classes, students won't start getting drunk at 6:00 AM, and the students will unwind at the games. Too, one of the biggest fund raisers for the football program is a primary reason that the West stands are woefully empty. The very high prices that the 1%ers pay for their elite seats is tied to their tying one on in the air conditioned comfort of the press box. The end result is that many people are comfortable, drunk, and not in the stands. I may be wrong, of course.

Good post. Need more fans and, especially, more students. Back in the day, students had a hard time finding a ticket to a home game. Too, at that time, everyone had Saturday morning classes, many beginng at ( gasp) 7:30 AM. Perhaps we should reinstitute Saturday classes, students won't start getting drunk at 6:00 AM, and the students will unwind at the games. Too, one of the biggest fund raisers for the football program is a primary reason that the West stands are woefully empty. The very high prices that the 1%ers pay for their elite seats is tied to their tying one on in the air conditioned comfort of the press box. The end result is that many people are comfortable, drunk, and not in the stands. I may be wrong, of course.
Back in what day? I never had a Saturday morning class and my football ticket was part of my fees so I went to every home game. You are right on one thing though, his post was good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT