ADVERTISEMENT

Breein Tyree

HomelessHarvey97

True Freshman
May 9, 2015
Often with Painter/staff and recruiting you can read the tea leaves. Does interest in Tyree indicate that we are losing hope in Simpson or just continuing to explore the position.

Don't want to make to much out of it but I really like Simpson for Purdue and actually was my top target even over Cumberland.

Painter's stance has always been that you never stop recruiting. Simpson may well be his No 1 target but since there is no commitment yet CMP will continue to search for another candidate. It's called CYA.

Reactions: PU pit bull
Sometimes it may upset the guy who you want as your first choice as they are taking their time but it also can act as a way of motivation that we won't wait forever. One thing that is good with some guys this year we have been recruiting is that we didn't find out to the last second they were going elsewhere. At least we can go another direction now even if it did stink that we didn't get them.

Last edited:
Reactions: StateStreet123
Often with Painter/staff and recruiting you can read the tea leaves. Does interest in Tyree indicate that we are losing hope in Simpson or just continuing to explore the position.

Don't want to make to much out of it but I really like Simpson for Purdue and actually was my top target even over Cumberland.
I thought Simpson was a Point, Cumberland is a SG.

Simpson has named 6 finalists, of which at least 5 are going to need to look elsewhere if they want a point guard. Point guard is not a deep position in the Midwest in 2016. Painter needs to look hard at the taller combo guard types like Tyree. I'm sure that he is just one of many that he'll be watching closely in July.

Painter's stance has always been that you never stop recruiting. Simpson may well be his No 1 target but since there is no commitment yet CMP will continue to search for another candidate. It's called CYA.

I think Painter is doing this and doing a much better job of it now, but it hasn't always been his stance. He got laser focused on certain guys during the infamous recruiting of 2008-2011 which is great if you get them but cost him as he ended up with some plan C's and D's. I think he has learned and has expanded his recruiting and is doing a much better job over the last few classes.

I think Painter is doing this and doing a much better job of it now, but it hasn't always been his stance. He got laser focused on certain guys during the infamous recruiting of 2008-2011 which is great if you get them but cost him as he ended up with some plan C's and D's. I think he has learned and has expanded his recruiting and is doing a much better job over the last few classes.
This can be a tough call without hindsight. My understanding is that he didn't offer Seth Dugan because he was waiting on Swanigan and it turned out to be the right call. I can understand why he got laser focused on players like Tyler Zeller and Chasson Randle, even though it didn't work out.

TZ was the guy who came to my mind also. Imagine if it worked out that CMP got him. He would have joined the Baby Boilers plus Kramer and Grant. Holy smokes that would have been killer. No wonder Painter went all out for him. And according to his dad it was a very, very close call. And I think that LewJack was on his AAU team iirc. The planets were almost lined up correctly.

Reactions: West James

The laser fineness was also due to the lack of budget during that time for recruiting and asst. job salaries to keep them at Purdue. It was not as though Matt finally figured out he may not get who he wants

Often with Painter/staff and recruiting you can read the tea leaves. Does interest in Tyree indicate that we are losing hope in Simpson or just continuing to explore the position. .

Likely.

Painter also after a new seven footer... 2017 7' C Ikechukwu Obiagu

Tyree is an interesting prospect. He looks like a tremendous athlete in the highlights and he apparently is good enough to play division 1 in any one of basketball, football, lacrosse, or, his best sport, soccer. His cousin, David Tyree, made one of the most famous catches in NFL history and his dad was a great lacrosse player. He didn't start playing high school basketball until he was a sophomore, although he played in open gyms before that with great players like Karl Anthony Towns. He'll be an interesting player to keep an eye on, regardless of where he ends up.

ADVERTISEMENT