ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking the Death Spiral

Nov 25, 2011
Recognizing there is frustration around Purdue Football and our current state, this is not a thread to drill the program, the coaches, the administration, etc. As they say, we are where we are!

This is about opinion/perspective around how we/others have broken the death spiral which I am defining as "not being able to win so you can't recruit and not being able to recruit so you can't win".

We were able to do it last with Tiller . . . However, we got a guy named Brees and had a very good, solid cast around him (that played well into the NFL) and a "new" system of wide-open offense (basketball on grass) that was relatively new for the BigTen. That and those in the program broke the cycle . . .

What is it going to take? Same kind of good fortune at a key position or two? Thoughts . . .

remember Purdue got "lucky" with Brees because he was injured his SR year of high school, otherwise he probably would have went to texas or something like that.

it was texas a&m he wanted to go to.

Get out of jail passes like that don't come around much. They need to build themselves out like MSU did.

Reading in between the lines of the survey's and public statements, I think they get that.

Outside of landing a Heisman finalist QB, the first place to start it to put together back to back classes of stingy defensive players that can force turnovers and give the offense a short field, or just score themselves to make it easy for the offence. Having a defense that can keep pts allowed at 24 or fewer should allow the team to win 5-8 games. At that point then maybe you can start selling to a few play making offensive weapons that they could be the difference maker. I believe the key for Purdue is hitting on 3-5 play making JUCOs who start as soon as they show up.

Little remembered fact is that TIller's first season at Purdue '97 recordwise 9-3, was his best at Purdue with Billy Dicken at QB! It started with a shocking loss on the road to Toledo and ended with an Alamo Bowl victory! To answer your question, the rules of game have changed and just like the NFL you have to have a team that can pass well in two of the three zones, short, medium and long! We currently either don't have the team that can or the coaches that can on anywhere near a consistent basis! You need an innovator as a coach and/or stud talent to break the spiral!

You CAN win enough games to get into a pizza bowl with marginal talent IF you have coaches that can bring the best out of that marginal talent. The less ability a coaching staff has to develop and inspire lesser talents the more talent you need to get to that point. I haven't seen any sign yet that this staff can do so. I'm especially disappointed in the lack of development and maybe even regression of QBs that were relatively desirable out of HS that are poorer QBs when they leave Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT