ADVERTISEMENT

Blough is Clearly Best Option

Purdueparentx2

Gold Member
Apr 19, 2015
I attended the 2015 Spring Game as I have the last several. In my opinion, Blough is the best option for Purdue football going forward - hands down. Candidly, I have a hard time understanding how people could come to a different conclusion. (I will acknowledge that I have a job and don't attend all the Purdue practices like the coaching staff does. If you want to make that argument, feel free to stop reading now). Blough was the most impressive quarterback in the 2014 spring game even though he should have been a senior in high school and had limited exposure to the playbook. He was the most impressive quarterback yesterday.

In my estimation, Purdue football will not elevate above its current, pathetic level (sorry, but it's true) without a difference-maker at quarterback. Blough has a chance to be that player. The other two upper classmen do not.

Blough has several traits that we need. First, he is elusive and has good pocket presence. I am hoping that our offensive line is improved but I still think we will need a quarterback that can avoid the rush and make plays with his feet. It is especially effective in college football to have a player that can extend plays and pick up crucial third downs by running to the chains to keep drives alive. Blough seems to have that ability. He looked very quick yesterday and seemed to easily out run defenders who were chasing him on several occasions.

Second, he is an accurate passer. Unfortunately, we probably don't have the athletes at the receiver position who can simply out run people or beat defenders with their quickness. We also are unlikely to blow people off the line like Wisconsin does and just run over them. To a certain extent, we will are going to have to move the ball with a short, accurate passing game. That type of scheme doesn't work with a guy who is a 40 or 50% passer (i.e. AA). Blough appears to be able to put the ball on the numbers. I also think he is able to keep his head up and look downfield.

Third, he is a competitor. Blough seems to have a fiery attitude that can be infectious. He looks like he wants to win. He is active and seems to have a spring in his step. I keep hearing the term "moxie" used to describe him. I think that fits.

Fourth, I have been impressed with his athleticism and reasonably impressed with his ability to make all the necessary throws. In the 2014 spring game, the threw a very long touchdown against the wind that demonstrated good arm strength. Yesterday, he completed a 23 yard pass to Posey over the middle on a fourth and 13 that seemed to have good velocity. There is some Youtube video online of his high school highlights that appears to show good arm strength and he had a very impressive showing of athleticism at the 2013 Elite 11 Quarterback Camp. He does look a little under-sized, but there has been at least one successful Purdue quarterback in the past that fell into that category. His career has gone okay.

Fifth, he seems to have the "it" factor that makes for a good college quarterback. Some of this falls under "competitor" described above. However, I think it is more than that. He has a good pocket presence. It seems like he can feel the rush and move around. He seems to have that internal clock in his head for getting out of the huddle and getting plays off. He seems to carry himself like a winner. It is my understanding he got a 4.0 at Purdue last spring when he should have been a senior in high school. Aside from some basic athletic pre-requisites to play the position, I think the "it" factor is the most important characteristic for a college quarterback. You either have it or you don't. #15 who played for Purdue about 15 years ago had the "it" factor and still does.

In addition to the observations about Blough above, I think, unfortunately, we have seen enough of the two upper classmen to understand that it is very unlikely that they have what it takes to get Purdue over the hump. I am not trying to pick on 20 year old kids and I certainly admire them for their effort and contribution. However, in the last football game that Purdue played, our quarterback was 19 for 35 for 123 yards with 3 interceptions and 3 sacks against a very bad Indiana defense. This was a player who had been in the program for 3 full years. We were playing our rival in the most important game of the year and Indiana had a kid playing quarterback that probably wouldn't start for some good high school teams. You have to win that game. As a quarterback and leader, you have to find a way to win that game. Period. Our quarterback couldn't get the job done. That isn't the only example that we saw last year. It is just the most recent.

Blough will undoubtedly make mistakes. He will likely try to make plays when he shouldn't. He will probably force the ball at times. He will get blind-sided and fumble when he is scrambling. We may lose some games due to poor ball security. I think we have to understand that and be prepared to live with it. In case you don't remember, #15 threw a few picks in his day and #9 still occasionally tries to force things. Over time and with maturity, I think Blough can develop into the kind of quarterback that can make Saturday afternoons in Ross Ade stadium fun again. This year's Purdue senior class is graduating with no understanding of what it means to cheer on a competitive football team. We can't continue that way.

My final thought is that we can't spend all summer playing the game of "It's AA's job to lose and he looks like our starter." There isn't enough other talent on this roster to live with a "game manager" at quarterback. That's not going to get the fan base excited. The attendance at games this year might look like the 4th quarter of the Northwestern game last year if that is the coaching staff's approach. In addition, we need to build Blough's confidence. The team needs to get behind him. He needs the first team reps. He needs to know that he is the guy and the coaches understand that even though he will make some mistakes, he is our best option to win and elevate the program. He needs to know that the coaching staff is behind him and he doesn't have to constantly be looking over his shoulder if he makes a mistake.

This post was edited on 4/19 2:33 PM by Purdueparentx2

This post was edited on 4/19 2:49 PM by Purdueparentx2

Dont put too much stock in the spring game. The scrimmage last weekend was more important

Wow. That says it all very succinctly!

Now you just need to get Stacy and Kyle (I mean Hazell and Shoop) to see it the same way. You see it exactly as I do. I liked how you used the 9 and 15 numbers. I used the name once and totally got blasted. I was not saying Blough was comparable but he does have a similar competitive nature, build, and pocket awareness. He might be a little faster.

I agree that he May be the best option, but would put very little stock into a spring game performance.

Some coaches take forever to see who should be playing. Yeah Blough doesn't have experience, but neither did anyone else until they got a chance! Well this is the make or break year for the current staff in my opinion, will be interesting to see what happens

First it was, Etling..Etling, then it was Appleby..Appleby, now it's Blough..Blough....maybe the problem is Hazell...Hazell.

In all seriousness the problems across the athletic programs at Purdue goes much higher than any single head coach. Nothing gets better until Burke is gone.
This post was edited on 4/19 9:10 PM by OhioBoiler3

There is no doubt about it in my mind whatsoever that Blough is the best option. Like I just posted below if coach Carr from Michigan can bench then senior Tom Brady after winning 10 out of 11 games prior season, then surely Purdue can bench last year's crop for throwing 19-35 passes with 3 interceptions against the worst defense in America practically and losing to a really bad IU team while scoring a meager 16 points. How is that even a decision? Blough is the only option at QB. The question isn't who deserves it, or who has experience, or this or that. The question is who is going to win games. Who is the winner? That answer to me is unquestionably Blough. I hope the coach doesn't turn this into another disastrous experiment by trying to make a horse race out of this. My hope is the decision is swift and Blough as soon as possible. Last year was unwatchable.

It would be nice if Saturday afternoon football would be fun to watch again....its been a freaking decade since that was the case. I agree that Blough has a lot of the stuff needed to be a good college QB. I think it will be him vs. AA for the fall camp but I see the staff going with AA. He isn't as bad as you make him out to be from the IU game. There were NO Purdue receivers in that game worth throwing too.

Appelby was pathetic vs IU. I still think he could be an ok QB but I want a good QB. I still think Etling has more potential then AA. Blough should get a crack at starting this upcoming season and if he doesn't perform let the upperclassmen step in. Then let the future heisman in Sindelar start the next season.

Actually, the best option for the program is currently sitting out...

I attended multiple practices and the best of the bunch is Sindelar and had he not blown his knee out in November, he would be right there to take the reigns. He throws the best ball, has the best arm, and seems to be able to fit it into tight spaces a little better than the other three. However, his knee has set him back from a competition standpoint because he didn't participate in any of the 7v7 or 11v11. I have heard because he has progressed so well that he will participate fully this summer and fall and I'll give him a legitimate shot since none of the three really separated themselves. Did Blough look better during the spring game? Yes, but I also attended the jersey scrimmage and all three actually looked even to each other. At this point, I would give the nod to Applebee because he has started games and commands the huddle better than the other three at this point.

At this point, and I hate to say it, but the best thing for Etling to do would be to transfer and take his red-shirt to play two years in another program. He is a good kid and he is a good quarterback, but I would honestly list him as the 4th best on the roster at this point..even with Sindelar's injury.

Originally posted by OhioBoiler3:
In all seriousness the problems across the athletic programs at Purdue goes much higher than any single head coach. Nothing gets better until Burke is gone.

This post was edited on 4/19 9:10 PM by OhioBoiler3

So, uh, you think Burks is dictating who plays and who doesn't?

Reactions: Bill_
I think you are correct, but Appelby will start.

I saw the last two Saturdays. I think they go with Austin Appleby until we hit the 7th loss. Once we are no longer bowl eligible they will go with Blough.

I thought of the 3 he had the best release- Appleby looks like he is trying to throw a guy out from RF. I thought Blough looked smooth running. Like Robert Mavre but not as reckless.

I thought Blough looked impressive. His scramble throw for a touchdown from around the ten when he broke a sack really reminded me of Manziel. Not that Blough does but the play did. He had a quick release, and his legs can make plays for the offense. If he can run the offense, not force too much and let the offense run how its supposed to then there is no reason not to play him over Appleby.

At the same time I thought Appleby looked okay. He was sort of what I expected, solid for the most part, but that TD to Hart was a thing of beauty and I think he really does better playing on the run. Still a slow release and not the most accurate passer.

I think one of the reasons the QB competition is open is because they want to see how Sindelar performs once hes healthy. He was praised the whole spring based on pure arm strength and accuracy alone, and in high school from his stats and highlights he seemed to be similar to Appleby in terms of how he uses his legs and might be a good option if he is healthy

Re: I think you are correct, but Appelby will start.

My guess would be if AA emerges as the #1, he has three games to start before we pull the plug on him as a starter. If any of the first three are blowouts by the end of the third put your #2 in for experience.

If DB is starter from Day 1, he will have the first 6 or 7 games with the same condition of if it's a blowout after three see what your #2 will do that day!

If ES emerges, you are by-passing the year as a redshirt he would have the same 6 or 7 game as DB!

Originally posted by JBoiler14:
I thought Blough looked impressive. His scramble throw for a touchdown from around the ten when he broke a sack really reminded me of Manziel. Not that Blough does but the play did. He had a quick release, and his legs can make plays for the offense. If he can run the offense, not force too much and let the offense run how its supposed to then there is no reason not to play him over Appleby.

At the same time I thought Appleby looked okay. He was sort of what I expected, solid for the most part, but that TD to Hart was a thing of beauty and I think he really does better playing on the run. Still a slow release and not the most accurate passer.

I think one of the reasons the QB competition is open is because they want to see how Sindelar performs once hes healthy. He was praised the whole spring based on pure arm strength and accuracy alone, and in high school from his stats and highlights he seemed to be similar to Appleby in terms of how he uses his legs and might be a good option if he is healthy
You mean the play where Hart beat a walk on defensive back? This is why you dont put stock in Spring Games. If that were a big ten defense, its going the other way.

Originally posted by nat100:

You mean the play where Hart beat a walk on defensive back? This is why you dont put stock in Spring Games. If that were a big ten defense, its going the other way.
Yea, I was crediting the throw more than the wide receiver beating coverage although. I guess seeing someone in a Purdue jersey go deep was a nice change, and I cant help but acknowledge it.

Yea, I was crediting the throw more than the wide receiver beating coverage although. I guess seeing someone in a Purdue jersey go deep was a nice change, and I cant help but acknowledge it.
Agree, however, i think the two mid throws to Posey and Marshall will be more of what we will be able to do for deep passes this year.

Anything Purdue can do to force the other defense to keep 8 out of the box is a big improvement. I think the run game and pass game have to balance and set up play action because we can run the ball well. The intermediate and long pass can force the defense to react in ways favorable to the Boiler offense.

Agree, however, i think the two mid throws to Posey and Marshall will be more of what we will be able to do for deep passes this year.

I'm curious why you think that? I expect (OK, maybe hope) OL protection to be a strength of this team. This should be the best we've seen from that group in a long time. Everything from Shoop sounds like downfield throws will be a priority. The question is whether our WRs can get separation and our QB, whoever it is, can deliver the ball.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by BoilerBulldog:

I'm curious why you think that? I expect (OK, maybe hope) OL protection to be a strength of this team. This should be the best we've seen from that group in a long time. Everything from Shoop sounds like downfield throws will be a priority. The question is whether our WRs can get separation and our QB, whoever it is, can deliver the ball.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Im confident in the left half of the line. The right side still worries me. Roos is okay in pass block and Prince/Cermin are injured. We will see.

Also, i think Shoop would rather hit a rhythm throw at 8-12 yards and move the chains than waste a down throwing 15+. He will do it, but i wouldnt expect a ton of them.

Clearly that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that when the head of the athletic department accepts mediocrity across most major sports that's all you'll ever be. As we are seeing now we aren't even average. Change is needed at the top of the entire athletic department.

ADVERTISEMENT