ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Roster Changes 21-22

May 12, 2013
I went through and tracked the roster changes for every Big Ten team going into this season. I've found it difficult to keep track with the extra eligibility due to COVID and the massive number of transfers. I'm certain I made several mistakes, which is why I'm reach out to you all to help fill in pieces I might have overlooked. One thing worth noting-- I didn’t account for players that sat out last year that are still on the roster (eg transfers, injuries, etc.). The only one included was Parker Stewart since we've all heard about how he's guaranteed to average 25 ppg next season and shoot 55% from three.

The roster additions include the abbreviation of the school they're transferring in from in parenthesis if they're a transfer. If they're a true freshman then I included their 247 composite ranking after their name.

Please let me know if you notice any inaccuracies. I'll try to update this initial post as news comes in, but please feel free to post links to announcements here if anything gets changed/clarified. Oh, and Penn State and Minnesota are going to be doormats next year and have had so much roster attrition that I didn't bother. If someone feels the urge to do a summary for either of those schools have at it, and I'll add it in.

Illinois

Leaving- Ayo Dosunmo, Jermaine Hamlin, Adam Miller, Edgar Padilla, Kofi Cockburn, Giorgi Bezhanishvili

Picked up- Omar Payne (FL), Alfonso Plummer (UT), Ramses Melendez (91), Luke Goode (93), Brandin Podziemski (103)

Indiana

Leaving- Al Durham, Armaan Franklin, Joey Brunk, Jacquez Henderson, Jerome Hunter

Picked up- Tamar Bates (28), Logan Duncomb (70), Xavier Johnson (Pitt), Parker Stewart, Miller Kopp (NW)

Iowa

Leaving- Luka Garza, Joe Wieskamp, Austin Ash, Michael Baer, Cj Fredrick, Jack Nunge

Picked up- Filip Rebraca (ND), Payton Sandfort (169), Riley Mulvey (201)

Maryland

Leaving- Aaron Wiggins, Jairus Hamilton, Darryl Morsell, Chol Marial, Connor Odom, Aquan Smart

Maybe- Galin Smith (???)

Picked up- Qudus Wahab (Georgetown), Fatts Russell (Rhode Island), Pavlo Dziuba (ASU), Ian Martinez (UT), Simon Wright (Elon), Julian Reese (57), Ike Cornish (107)

Michigan

Leaving- Fritz Wagner, Isaiah Livers, Mike Smith, Austin Davis, Chaundee Brown, CJ Baird, Luke Wilson

Picked up- DaVante Jones (Coastal Carolina), Caleb Houstan (7), Moussa Diabate (14), Kobe Bufkin (43), Frankie Collins (44), Isaiah Barnes (109), Will Tschetter (137)

Michigan State

Leaving-Jack Hoiberg, Rocket Wats, Thomas Kithier, Foster Loyer, Aaron Henry, Josh Langford

Picked up- Tyson Walker (Northeastern), Max Christie (17), Pierre Brooks (58), Jaden Akins (51)

Minnesota

Leaving-The entire team

Picked up- Jamison Battle (George Washington), Parker Fox, Luke Loewe, Eylijah Stephens, couple recruits

Nebraska

Leaving- Akol Arop, Elijah Wood, Teddy Allen, Yvan Ouedraogo, Bret Porter, Thorir Thorbjarnarson, Shamiel Stevenson

Picked up- CJ Wilcher (Xavier), Bryce McGowens (26), Wilhelm Breidenbach (99), Ahamad Bynum (89), Quaran McPherson (205), Oleg Kojenets (208), Keisei Tominaga (JUCO)

Northwestern

Leaving- Miller Kopp (IU), Anthony Gaines

Picked up- Casey Simmons (133), Brooks Barnhizer (151), Julian Roper (149)

Ohio State

Leaving- Duane Washington, Musa Jallow, Ibrahima Diallo, CJ Walker

Picked up- Jamari Wheeler (PSU), Joey Brunk (IU), Malaki Branham (34), Kalen Etzler (150)

Penn State

Leaving- Lots

Picked up- Lots

Purdue

Leaving-Aaron Wheeler, Emmanuel Dowuona

Picked up- TKR (41), Caleb Furst (62), Brian Waddell (NR)

Rutgers

Leaving- Myles Johnson, Mamadou Doucoure, Daniel Lobach, Montez Mathis, Jacob Young

Maybe- Geo Baker, Ron Harper Jr.

Picked up- Aundre Hyatt (LSU), Jalen Miller (183)

Wisconsin

Leaving- D’Mitrik Trice, Trevor Anderson, Joseph Hedstrom, Walt McGory, Nate Reuvers, Aleem Ford, Micah Potter

Picked up- Jahcobi Neath (Wake Forest), Chris Vogt (Cincinnati), Chuck Hepbrun (119), Matthew Mors (148), Markus Iver (146), Chris Hodges (153)

Last edited:
One thing that really stood out to me as I compiled this--we're the only team that is CLEARLY getting better with the off-season roster changes. Michigan, OSU, Maryland, Indiana, and Nebraska lose a lot of pieces, and they gain a lot of pieces. The verdict is out on whether those teams will actually be better this year or not. Every other team got worse in my opinion.

If Hunter Dickinson doesn't return, then I think we're the clear favorites to win the regular season. I honestly don't think there will be much competition unless a team gets a major roster addition (say Marcus Carr to OSU or something).

One thing that really stood out to me as I compiled this--we're the only team that is CLEARLY getting better with the off-season roster changes. Michigan, OSU, Maryland, Indiana, and Nebraska lose a lot of pieces, and they gain a lot of pieces. The verdict is out on whether those teams will actually be better this year or not. Every other team got worse in my opinion.

If Hunter Dickinson doesn't return, then I think we're the clear favorites to win the regular season. I honestly don't think there will be much competition unless a team gets a major roster addition (say Marcus Carr to OSU or something).
Can’t imagine Hunter not coming back since he wasn’t invited to the combine.

Unfortunately, this amount of movement is going to be the annual new norm in college basketball.

One thing that I noticed is how many top 50 players were coming into the league. We have one (Furst), but there are 6 other top 50 players some of whom are top 25. Yes, we have a talented team, but the BIG will continue to be competitive, and we may not have the most talent in the conference, based on rankings.

Purdue was the youngest team in the BIG last year, and almost everyone is coming back, older and (hopefully) better.

Updated now that Dickinson is definitely returning. Things should be fairly settled now.

Does anyone know if Galin Smith is returning to Maryland or not?

I’m very surprised Dickinson stayed. Unless he plans on staying for 4 years because he likes school, maybe he does, I don’t see how he is going to up his draft stock any more than what it already is.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I’m very surprised Dickinson stayed. Unless he plans on staying for 4 years because he likes school, maybe he does, I don’t see how he is going to up his draft stock any more than what it already is.

He’s already said this will be his final college season. I wasn’t seeing him as a lottery. I disagree- I think there is plenty he can do to increase his draft stock.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
For a guy his size and his mobility, I don’t think there is. At this point he is what he is. He won’t be a lottery pick and is probably a fringe 1st rounder. He’s also pretty old for his age so I was just surprised.

He’s already said this will be his final college season. I wasn’t seeing him as a lottery. I disagree- I think there is plenty he can do to increase his draft stock.
Maybe he figures, with his limitations, he can now make more $$$ in college than he ever could in the NBA.

Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT