ADVERTISEMENT

Been on Vacation

mathboy

All-American
Feb 4, 2004
Michigan
I came back to find that (1) Swanigan picked MSU, and (2) AJ Hammons is going to stay for his senior year. Both events are impactful, but in different ways.

First all the hysterical childish whining that took place after Caleb picked MSU was ridiculous. Good God! You know who you are, and should be ashamed of yourselves. Take a pill for heaven's sake. I find myself being less and less tolerant of ill informed and short-sighted rants.

It is hard to argue with the product that MSU puts on the floor. I can understand his decision, but I think he could have made a better one. So be it. It was nice to be in the running for some 5* kid, but I don't think this was that big a deal. He will probably not be an impact player until his junior year anyway, given his current conditioning and skills He would have been a nice get, but we need people in the back court more. We got the Mr. Indiana runner up in Cline, so I am not too concerned.

AJ staying is a much bigger impact that getting or not getting some high school star player. This gives us a solid and strong front court. AJ, Hass, Edwards, and Taylor will be just fine. With Davis or Smotherman at small forward, we have the talent to compete with almost anyone. We still have a hole with the loss of Octeus, but there are more dominos to fall.

cool.r191677.gif

'probably not be an impact player until his junior year anyway' is bold, but time will tell. Getting AJ back, I think, was far more important than getting Swanigan to somehow commit. Regardless, well said post, and boiler up.

Originally posted by BoilerDeac:
'probably not be an impact player until his junior year anyway' is bold, but time will tell. Getting AJ back, I think, was far more important than getting Swanigan to somehow commit. Regardless, well said post, and boiler up.

So duke and msu throw the house at a guy who won't make an impact.

Nice narrative
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by nat100:

Nice narrative
Every transfer is great for the program...."Addition by subtraction", "Was a cancer". And any recruit that gets away "Wasn't going to be an impact". But, anyone who thinks differently needs to "take a pill". And, anyone who doesn't think the program is heading in the right direction has "Painter Hate" or is a "Troll". Around here, perception is reality. However, I've noticed a prevailing theme: Some comment on the status of the program...and if the "Enlightened ones" don't like it, you'll see a heavy dose of personal attacks come your way. But, don't tell them "They" need the pill. A narcissist can't see past their own narrative. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could just state their thoughts? And, if you don't agree, you could just say why? Eh, I digress.

Originally posted by mathboy:

I came back to find that (1) Swanigan picked MSU, and (2) AJ Hammons is going to stay for his senior year. Both events are impactful, but in different ways.

It is hard to argue with the product that MSU puts on the floor. I can understand his decision, but I think he could have made a better one. So be it. It was nice to be in the running for some 5* kid, but I don't think this was that big a deal.
cool.r191677.gif

Well we were not even in the guy's top 3 so apparently we were not even in the running...

Originally posted by boiler-deuce:

Nice narrative
Every transfer is great for the program...."Addition by subtraction", "Was a cancer". And any recruit that gets away "Wasn't going to be an impact". But, anyone who thinks differently needs to "take a pill". And, anyone who doesn't think the program is heading in the right direction has "Painter Hate" or is a "Troll". Around here, perception is reality. However, I've noticed a prevailing theme: Some comment on the status of the program...and if the "Enlightened ones" don't like it, you'll see a heavy dose of personal attacks come your way. But, don't tell them "They" need the pill. A narcissist can't see past their own narrative. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could just state their thoughts? And, if you don't agree, you could just say why? Eh, I digress.
Pot, meet kettle.

Nice narrative

Both schools are recruiting or have commitments from higher rated PF's. I don't think they "Threw the house" at Caleb. Besides, you are missing my point entirely. Whether he makes an impact or not, is unimportant. He's not playing for Purdue.

cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Boiler Buck:

It is hard to argue with the product that MSU puts on the floor. I can understand his decision, but I think he could have made a better one. So be it. It was nice to be in the running for some 5* kid, but I don't think this was that big a deal.
cool.r191677.gif

Well we were not even in the guy's top 3 so apparently we were not even in the running...
So, let me see here... if we are in his top 5 but not in his top 3, then we are not in the running? When do you suppose he made the decision to sort out the schools in a specific order? Maybe it was the week before, maybe the month before. We don't know. We might have been in his top 3 last month. Does that mean we are in the running at that point? Frankly, I think your cut off at the top 3 is arbitrary. I think the best arbiter of this is simply the kid's list of his final schools. Hence, we were in the running for the kid.

We were listed as a candidate. That provides some exposure and does say we are trying to get the best players we can.

cool.r191677.gif

Nice narrative

Me thinks you doth protest too much....

You seem to ascribe a whole bunch of ill terms and name calling to my post. I did not track who posted what when Caleb decided for MSU. Frankly, I didn't give a red hot Poop about who said what. I suggest that if you want to argue with me about whether there were childish tantrums on this board at that point, try being more specific. I did not use the term "Troll", "Cancer", or "Hate" anywhere in my post. Please stop misquoting me when you feel the need to make an emotional statement.

You also misquote me about Swanigan. I did not say the kid would not make an impact. I said because of his current conditioning, I doubted he would make an impact until his Junior year. MSU has Valentine and a really good PF from the west side of Michigan on their team next year. Caleb will need to really work to get into any game next year. I never said he wasn't good. He would have been good for us to get. However, he was not a "must get".

cool.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/19 10:40 PM by mathboy

Nice narrative

Both schools are recruiting or have commitments from higher rated PF's. I don't think they "Threw the house" at Caleb. Besides, you are missing my point entirely. Whether he makes an impact or not, is unimportant. He's not playing for Purdue.

cool.r191677.gif
Duke doesnt have a PF committed in the class, and yes K threw the house at him. Izzo too.

Nice narrative

cool.r191677.gif
Duke doesnt have a PF committed in the class, and yes K threw the house at him. Izzo too.
You are correct. I went back and looked. The 5* kid they have committed is a center. They appear to have needed a center and not a PF. I assume this because all their offers for big men were centers. Maybe that's why Swanigan went for the MSU offer - because he did not want to play center in college, after doing it in high school.

cool.r191677.gif

@nat what was wrong with what I said? I basically said that saying Swanigan won't be an impact player his fresh or soph years (if he even stays that long) is a bold statement.

Originally posted by purdue4sure:

Nice narrative
Pot, meet kettle.
I was just about to post the exact same thing. Anyone ever remember a time when deuce posted something that wasn't hypocritical, irrelevant or some PMS induced rant? Yeah me either.

Originally posted by Boiler Buck:

cool.r191677.gif

Well technically neither was duke. Split hairs much?

@nat what was wrong with what I said? I basically said that saying Swanigan won't be an impact player his fresh or soph years (if he even stays that long) is a bold statement.

Nothing. I agreed. Just too lazy to backtrack a post and reply to mathboy directly

Nothing. I agreed. Just too lazy to backtrack a post and reply to mathboy directly

Nat, No problem. I did make a bold statement about the time it might take for Swanigan to get in shape for BIG play. I also think he will be faced with strong competition for a PF starting role at MSU. Those two things may make it difficult for Swanigan to make an impact his first two years, IMHO.

Had he come to Purdue, he would have faced similar challenges, but might have been able to get on the floor sooner. All this is pure speculation, and I can accept that I will probably be wrong 75% of the time when I speculate.

cool.r191677.gif

Nat, No problem. I did make a bold statement about the time it might take for Swanigan to get in shape for BIG play. I also think he will be faced with strong competition for a PF starting role at MSU. Those two things may make it difficult for Swanigan to make an impact his first two years, IMHO.

Had he come to Purdue, he would have faced similar challenges, but might have been able to get on the floor sooner. All this is pure speculation, and I can accept that I will probably be wrong 75% of the time when I speculate.

cool.r191677.gif
IMO, he and the other PF at MSU play at the same time. On offense, who is PF and who is C wont matter. Defensively, i would imagine he will guard the 5.

Nice narrative

cool.r191677.gif
I'm betting if I go over to Duke's board I'm not finding Fire Coach K threads and Coach K sucks threads over not getting him.

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:
I'm betting if I go over to Duke's board I'm not finding Fire Coach K threads and Coach K sucks threads over not getting him.
When Painter wins 5 national championships, he will get the same latitude. If he even wins one, he would.

Terrible comparison.

When Painter wins 5 national championships, he will get the same latitude. If he even wins one, he would.

Terrible comparison.
Not only the 5 NC's (which is the biggest thing) but he has other studs lined up and ready to go. The thing that hurts us about not getting Swanigan is that we have no one other freshman lined up to come in and make an impact when we missed on him.

Originally posted by cprh9u:

Terrible comparison.
Not only the 5 NC's (which is the biggest thing) but he has other studs lined up and ready to go. The thing that hurts us about not getting Swanigan is that we have no one other freshman lined up to come in and make an impact when we missed on him.
I think several of us think that Cline can make an impact. Granted, shooters often don't shoot the way they did in HS, but some do and Ryan seems like a kid who can have an impact. For all we know Swanigan won't be as impactful as people think. It took Tyler Zeller two years to have much impact at UNC.

Terrible comparison.
It's an appropriate comparison because Duke is often used in many arguments on here.

Originally posted by Kesselschmiede:

Originally posted by purdue4sure:

Nice narrative
Pot, meet kettle.
I was just about to post the exact same thing. Anyone ever remember a time when deuce posted something that wasn't hypocritical, irrelevant or some PMS induced rant? Yeah me either.
'I was just about........". Meh, sure sure. I remember you posting things sports related....oh wait...no I don't because you never do. You're just a petulant child who acts out when anyone states an opinion that gets your panties in a bunch. Just have your period and get it over with. Your game is played out.

Originally posted by Heller:

Originally posted by cprh9u:

Terrible comparison.
I think several of us think that Cline can make an impact. Granted, shooters often don't shoot the way they did in HS, but some do and Ryan seems like a kid who can have an impact. For all we know Swanigan won't be as impactful as people think. It took Tyler Zeller two years to have much impact at UNC.
I hope you're right, but history is not on his side. I can't think of a "shooter" who shot well as a freshman since 2007, and we've had some pretty decent HS shooters.

Terrible comparison.
also 12 Final Fours vs. 0 Final Fours

Plus, they just won it all, so of course no one is going to be too critical of him at this point in time.

It's no different with any other topic, politics included.

Taking extreme angles on everything gets you nowhere.

People have had some ridiculous complaints and act like only "x" happens at Purdue.

People complaining we have too many transfers? There's 1 Big Ten basketball team who has not had a transfer in just the last 2 years. And over half the teams have had more than 1 in the last 2 years.

People complain about not landing a 5 star recruit? Great. There's about 2-4 5 star recruits that go to the Big Ten each year over the last few years and to a handful of programs. Half of them to IU (and many of them are not there anymore). To act like everyone and their mother is landing 5 star recruits and Purdue keeps missing is just not true.

Stop being ridiculous and you won't get ridiculous replies back.

Originally posted by nagemj02:

Terrible comparison.
also 12 Final Fours vs. 0 Final Fours

Plus, they just won it all, so of course no one is going to be too critical of him at this point in time.
^^This^^
Not even being in his (Swanigan) top 3 stinks. Speaks volumes...again. At some point Painter needs to land a big fish and try to show the nation what he can, or can't, do with one. Or, He'll continue to bounce along the bottom half with every once in a while having a good year. Our program not hitting the Blue Chipper is much much different than the elite programs. While they "add" gems.... Painter was looking for a centerpiece to show off to the rest of the nation. In the end, it's telling when they continue to look elsewhere especially in our own state repeatedly.

deuce, you don't think of Haas or Stephens as blue chippers? You realize that the BIG gets 2 to 4 5star kids each year, with the majority going to IU. You like IUs record with these "gems"? I have yet to see a greater impact from 5star players over 4 star players.

I don't think I can change your mind. You have been too influenced by the past two years of poor performance and you think it Painters norm. It is not. This year is closer to norm. For many years, recruiting had been constrained by factors outside the athletic department. As soon as those factors left, we started getting better recruits. Last year we saw the first results of that better recruiting. Just wait. It is going to get much better.
This post was edited on 4/20 7:36 PM by mathboy

Continue to be in the bottom half of the Big Ten? Again, you're exaggerating.

What 7 teams have MORE talent than Purdue?

Not Iowa.
Not Minnesota.
Not Nebraska.
Not Northwestern.
Not Penn State.
Not Rutgers.
And not Wisconsin.

Wisconsin is hit and miss, but I don't think they're typically "way above" our level.

Purdue's pretty much the same as Illinois and Michigan. And Maryland is a tad more talented.

Originally posted by lbodel:

Not Iowa.
Not Minnesota.
Not Nebraska.
Not Northwestern.
Not Penn State.
Not Rutgers.
And not Wisconsin.

Wisconsin is hit and miss, but I don't think they're typically "way above" our level.

Purdue's pretty much the same as Illinois and Michigan. And Maryland is a tad more talented.

Wisky has never finished outside the top 4 since Bo has been there. How is that hit and miss?

deuce, you don't think of Haas or Stephens as blue chippers? You realize that the BIG gets 2 to 4 5star kids each year, with the majority going to IU. You like IUs record with these "gems"? I have yet to see a greater impact from 5star players over 4 star players.

I don't think I can change your mind. You have been too influenced by the past two years of poor performance and you think it Painters norm. It is not. This year is closer to norm. For many years, recruiting had been constrained by factors outside the athletic department. As soon as those factors left, we started getting better recruits. Last year we saw the first results of that better recruiting. Just wait. It is going to get much better.
This post was edited on 4/20 7:36 PM by mathboy
No Math. You're completely mistaken. Haas is not a Blue Chipper. Stephens? OMG no way. Even Hammons isn't. I'm not talking about diamonds in the rough, like Hammons and Haas. I'm talking about landing a recruit that changes the perception of the program. A player that shows the country that you can coach and recruit. And, I.U.??? HELL NO! Crean is a complete imposter.....and moron...total fraud. However, just doing better than that clown shouldn't be the goal. I don't want to be measured by that idiot. Good grief...we're Purdue man!! Painter needs to start taking those kids from Crean. Hell, anyone could recruit at I.U. if your even remotely alive. He's shown the country how pathetic he is and for Painter to not be able to beat his ass is terrible in recruiting. Look, Painter hit the ground running. One of the hottest coaches in the country when he had the baby boilers. You can spin it any way you want, but it's spinning if you think he didn't drop the ball. He pissed away the momentum. I'm not going to get in to the hows and whys.....but it's a fact he pissed it away. You don't let the program drop to last place for 2 years straight and act like it's ok. One year of a 3rd place finish and "one and done" in the NCAA hardly means he's now erased the debacle. It only means he "may" be rebounding from pissing away the program. I'm not calling for him to be canned. Not at all. Do you see me posting that anywhere? No. But, the guy has some more work to do to get me back in his camp. The best way for him to do that is start finding a way to attract some high profile players. You may not like it, or want to admit it, but nothing makes a coach look better than serious talent on the court.

Not Iowa.
Not Minnesota.
Not Nebraska.
Not Northwestern.
Not Penn State.
Not Rutgers.
And not Wisconsin.

No, you taking my words out of context and twisting them. Don't use half of my quote and parade it out like you can debunk something. I said every now and then have a good year. And Wisconsin? Hit and miss? Please. 2 final 4 and NT game? Bo Ryan is one of the best coaches in the league. PERIOD! If Painter had taken us to just one title game? Or Final4? Or Elite8? Sorry, but that dog won't hunt.

Not Iowa.
Not Minnesota.
Not Nebraska.
Not Northwestern.
Not Penn State.
Not Rutgers.
And not Wisconsin.

No, you taking my words out of context and twisting them. Don't use half of my quote and parade it out like you can debunk something. I said every now and then have a good year. And Wisconsin? Hit and miss? Please. 2 final 4 and NT game? Bo Ryan is one of the best coaches in the league. PERIOD! If Painter had taken us to just one title game? Or Final4? Or Elite8? Sorry, but that dog won't hunt.
You said:

"Or, He'll continue to bounce along the bottom half with every once in a while having a good year."

I don't come to this board much anymore so I'm not sure whether you are just trolling or have a really poor memory. Since his first year (when I give him a pass), Matt Painter coached teams have finished in the bottom half exactly twice in nine years. In six of those nine years, Purdue has finished 4th or better. That doesn't even come close to fitting with your statement.

You said:

"Or, He'll continue to bounce along the bottom half with every once in a while having a good year."

I don't come to this board much anymore so I'm not sure whether you are just trolling or have a really poor memory. Since his first year (when I give him a pass), Matt Painter coached teams have finished in the bottom half exactly twice in nine years. In six of those nine years, Purdue has finished 4th or better. That doesn't even come close to fitting with your statement.

He's trolling. Boiler-deuce vary rarely does anything but troll.

Wisky has never finished outside the top 4 since Bo has been there. How is that hit and miss?
I was referring to recruiting, since this is what most of this thread is about. (As someone else mentioned, Purdue's been actually very consistent in finishing well in the Big Ten over the last 10 years).

Wisconsin does very well developing players in a system, similar to Purdue. I think Purdue can aspire to be like that - but Bo Ryan is not some incredible recruiter. Purdue obviously needs to become more consistent though, but as we've talked about in other threads, Bo Ryan has 25 more years of experience on his side so I'm not going to panic.

Bo isnt the best recruiter, but he has landed 3 5 stars. If he can do it, Painter should be able to as well.

But again, it's not a black and white issue.

Sam Dekker was a 5 star recruit he landed, right? Wisconsin offered him when his best offer was from Northern Illinois. He committed within 24 hours (and he's also from Wisconsin and Wisconsin was his dream school) at the end of his sophomore year.

When he committed, he was nowhere near being a 5 star recruit. He eventually grew and exploded onto the scene.

Bo Ryan didn't have to compete for that.

Since 2006 (over 10 recruiting classes), Wisconsin has had:
Five Star: 1 (Dekker)
Four Stars: 7
Three Stars: 22
Two Stars: 1

That doesn't really blow you away. But it fits the point of getting players that fit your system that have talent can lead to just as much success. As I mentioned, Purdue needs to become more consistent and have that talent over a span of time instead of 1 class (the Baby Boilers were great, but made recruiting tough). Right now, I think we have a good amount of talent spread over multiple classes, which is where we need to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT