ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball team just can't win a game

I have been to a few games and not sure how they can win the Big Ten in 2012 and be really poor for 3 straight years. Not sure if Schrieber is on the hot seat or not. What is odd with him is how little interaction he has with his players. I am not sure if in the dugout there is more talking but it looked like he did not talk to anyone during the game on the field anyway. The other coaches at other schools seem to be more vocal, or at the end of an inning give a quick coaching point to someone. He did not make eye contact let alone say anything. Might just be his style.

I posted this on the football board, but really it is the Athletic Department as a whole that is struggling...

Obviously Football "pays the bills" of the athletic department. 2014 season = Last in the Big Ten

Men's Basketball, I would assume is the #2 revenue sport. 2014-2015 = 4th in the Big Ten - nice, surprising season

Women's Basketball, #3 for revenue? Top female revenue sport. 2014-2015 = Last in the Big Ten

Baseball, maybe #4 for revenue/exposure? 2015 = Last in the Big Ten

Wow, that is not good. So I start looking at other sports... Wish I had not.

Men's Tennis 2015 = Last in the Big Ten

Wrestling 2015 = 9th in the Big Ten

Women's Soccer 2014 = Last in the Big Ten

Softball 2015 = 10th in the Big Ten

Women's Tennis 2015 = 6th in the Big Ten

Volleyball 2014 = 5th in the Big Ten

Men's CC 2014 Big Ten Championships = 9th

Women's CC 2014 Big Ten Championships = 8th

Men's Swimming/Diving 2015 Big Ten Championships = 4th

Women's Swimming/Diving 2015 Big Ten Championships = 5th

Track and Golf have a lot of ground to make up.

4th place is the best finish in any team sport? Last in the Big Ten in 5 sports? I always assumed that Football was bad and saw a lot of new facilities for the other sports so I assumed they were having more success. We sacrificed spending in football to improve other things. Morgan always preaches the "big picture" of the athletic department. Well the big picture is we are not very good in much of anything. We don't really even have a "signature" sport. I guess now it would be Volleyball due to sustained success. At what point is the AD accountable for this? I know the rap on Purdue as a whole is that we are "education first" and "don't concern ourselves as much" with athletics, but this is not good. Average finish is 9th place?

I have been to a few games and not sure how they can win the Big Ten in 2012 and be really poor for 3 straight years. Not sure if Schrieber is on the hot seat or not. What is odd with him is how little interaction he has with his players. I am not sure if in the dugout there is more talking but it looked like he did not talk to anyone during the game on the field anyway. The other coaches at other schools seem to be more vocal, or at the end of an inning give a quick coaching point to someone. He did not make eye contact let alone say anything. Might just be his style.

I posted this on the football board, but really it is the Athletic Department as a whole that is struggling...

Obviously Football "pays the bills" of the athletic department. 2014 season = Last in the Big Ten

Men's Basketball, I would assume is the #2 revenue sport. 2014-2015 = 4th in the Big Ten - nice, surprising season

Women's Basketball, #3 for revenue? Top female revenue sport. 2014-2015 = Last in the Big Ten

Baseball, maybe #4 for revenue/exposure? 2015 = Last in the Big Ten

Wow, that is not good. So I start looking at other sports... Wish I had not.

Men's Tennis 2015 = Last in the Big Ten

Wrestling 2015 = 9th in the Big Ten

Women's Soccer 2014 = Last in the Big Ten

Softball 2015 = 10th in the Big Ten

Women's Tennis 2015 = 6th in the Big Ten

Volleyball 2014 = 5th in the Big Ten

Men's CC 2014 Big Ten Championships = 9th

Women's CC 2014 Big Ten Championships = 8th

Men's Swimming/Diving 2015 Big Ten Championships = 4th

Women's Swimming/Diving 2015 Big Ten Championships = 5th

Track and Golf have a lot of ground to make up.

4th place is the best finish in any team sport? Last in the Big Ten in 5 sports? I always assumed that Football was bad and saw a lot of new facilities for the other sports so I assumed they were having more success. We sacrificed spending in football to improve other things. Morgan always preaches the "big picture" of the athletic department. Well the big picture is we are not very good in much of anything. We don't really even have a "signature" sport. I guess now it would be Volleyball due to sustained success. At what point is the AD accountable for this? I know the rap on Purdue as a whole is that we are "education first" and "don't concern ourselves as much" with athletics, but this is not good. Average finish is 9th place?

Big Ten baseball has never been great. The Big Ten's best team rarely does much nationally. The Big Ten has 3 in the top 25 this year, (2 of them hovering around 20-25). It'll be interesting to see how Illinois fares. But baseball is a tough sport in the north, partially because seasons start so early in college. But I'm not sure I'd be put baseball as the 4th most important in the Big Ten.

Looking at the Big Ten, it's incredibly strong in volleyball and wrestling. It's pretty well acknowledged it's the toughest wrestling conference in the country.

I'd also say that I'm not sure how much Purdue "sacrificed" spending in football to improve Olympic sports, mainly because I'm not sure if we would have pro-actively spent money. You may think we have nice Olympic sport facilities, but it's pretty par for the course in the Big Ten. Morgan has also shown that he doesn't want to spend the money unless his hand is forced. Look at Hope to Hazell and also the Painter/Mizzou situation. Those things were fixed pretty quickly, magically finding money (in Painter's case, literally overnight).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT