ADVERTISEMENT

Are any of my fellow Boilers also chopper guys?

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
In the 10 years I was overseas, the thing I missed most about the living stateside was riding choppers.

The first thing I did when I was settled was buy this old hardtail which I am now customizing to my liking.

11139391_10152739600007890_872401400511881006_n.jpg

I thought about going with a Purdue paint scheme but decided to go a little darker. Now I'm trying my hand at tooling a new leather seat. Maybe I will do a version with the Block P in it somewhere.

11150705_10152747333682890_2863430755351617844_n.jpg

Any other riders in this group?

Wow, that's a pretty extreme rake. Do your arms get tired quickly on it? I guess choppers aren't really meant for comfort :). It does look cool, though.

I've never ridden a chopper, but I do ride (usually "standards", or what some of these young punks might call "naked sportbikes"). I currently only have a Royal Enfield Bullet (aka a "clown bike" :D), but I'm thinking it might be time for a new bike in the next six months to year or so. I'd like to have something I could trust outside the city limits - even my long-gone, old Honda was so old and beat up by the time I got it, that I didn't dare stray far from home.

The Bullet on a country ride:
17782813229_974f0f265f_z.jpg

I do love motorcycles, even though most of my riding is usually commuting or short trips around central Indiana. How long have you been riding?

This chopper is so comfortable. Being a hardtail with the solo seat means it is a bit stiff, but the handlebars are perfectly setup so I can relax and cruise. The rake is high but the trail is perfect. I can take my hands off the bars at 30 mph and it goes straight as an arrow.

I rode for 4 hours on Saturday and felt fine.

You must be tougher than me - after about an hour on the Bullet, I've usually got to take a break. I've read about Peter Fonda riding the Captain America Chopper with no hands and just steering it with his hips.

Is that an Evo with a kicker? Do old Harley transmissions all bolt right up? Is that oil tank shaped like a bomb (or is it just the angle)? That's pretty neat. I don't know about painting a bike with a Purdue motif (does PU52Chevy really have that truck in his avatar? If so, that's devotion :)), but I've always wanted to paint my helmet like a Purdue football helmet.

At any rate, enjoy the bike. I really like that oil tank. Be careful riding - it's a jungle out there.

It's a '91 evo motor, kick start and suicide shift. It's pretty hardcore kickstarting that thing when the temp is below 60. It took some strengthening but now I can usually kick it over on the first kick if the weather is nice.

The oil tank is known as a bomb tank and some people call it a cherry bomb tank. It clamps to the frame...no oil cap!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT