ADVERTISEMENT

Are all suicide bombings wrong?

Read a different story about her that had alleged quotes from her. She said the reason she was going to carry out a suicide bombing was due to her(and really kurds belief) that they are going to lose that town in an assault soon. She said rather than get captured, tortured, humiliated, beheaded and/or raped she would just rather die in a suicide attack and kill the enemy. I find it horrible that a person is in that situation and has to make a decision like that. Also really respect it from a soldier's point of view.

Honestly, I have no issues with suicide attacks that are directed at enemy soldiers/combatatns/etc. Kamikaze attacks and in WWII fit this category, so does charging a bunker/machine gun nest.

I have an issue when they are directed toward civilians.

I was going to say the same thing. One (wo)man's suicide attack is another man's landing at Gallipoli.

Originally posted by Purdue97:
Read a different story about her that had alleged quotes from her. She said the reason she was going to carry out a suicide bombing was due to her(and really kurds belief) that they are going to lose that town in an assault soon. She said rather than get captured, tortured, humiliated, beheaded and/or raped she would just rather die in a suicide attack and kill the enemy. I find it horrible that a person is in that situation and has to make a decision like that. Also really respect it from a soldier's point of view.

Honestly, I have no issues with suicide attacks that are directed at enemy soldiers/combatatns/etc. Kamikaze attacks and in WWII fit this category, so does charging a bunker/machine gun nest.

I have an issue when they are directed toward civilians.
Pretty much dead-on. There is a difference between a person killing himself/herself to nobody's benefit and giving your life for the benefit of others.

not to completely nerd out, but an episode of Battlestar Galactica dealt with this while they were "in captivity" on New Caprica. It made it easier to see the other side when it's effectively humans suicide bombing "robots."

Originally posted by qazplm:
not to completely nerd out, but an episode of Battlestar Galactica dealt with this while they were "in captivity" on New Caprica. It made it easier to see the other side when it's effectively humans suicide bombing "robots."
Unfortunately, by bringing in Battlestar Galactica, you did indeed, "nerd out". Completely. Judges would have accepted a reference to Buck Rodgers, but not Battlestar Galactica. (j/k)

Best TV show of the 21st Century IMO.

Even Twiki would admit that.

The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Wire, 30 Rock, and others all say 'hello.'

Originally posted by beardownboiler:

The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Wire, 30 Rock, and others all say 'hello.'
I loved BSG, and would include it in my list of favorite TV shows of all time. Off the top of my head, my top 5ish since 2000:

1. The Wire - Best show ever. I'd love to teach (or take) a class based upon this show someday.
2. Breaking Bad - Cranston's portrayal of Walter White will go down as one of the all time acting accomplishments. Just a fantastic show. Can't wait for "Better Call Saul", but I wouldn't be surprised if it flops.
3. Sopranos - Nothing to add about this masterpiece
4. Deadwood - Al Swearingen is my favorite character of all time.
5. Game of Thrones - The show lives up to the books, and the books are some of the best storytelling I've ever read.
6. BSG - Seasons 1 & 2 were riveting and complex, then it fell apart with too much mysticism.

I think that last bit

is a little unfair.

Mysticism was a part of BSG from the beginning. I'm agnostic, but the whole "they got too religious" criticism makes me wonder what folks thought they were watching the first two seasons.

The prophecies? The visions? "Head" Six? The Opera House? The collective vision on Kobol? The fact that Cylons and humans can only have children if they are in love? Heck in the miniseries, how does Gaius just happen to pick the one person on the ship who turns out to be a Cylon? I'm missing a few, but the show was steeped in mysticism from the start all the way through.

I think that was one of it's strengths, the melding science and faith, free will and destiny.

My only real criticism of the ending was the idea that everyone would just choose to give up all technology and effectively live on an unknown planet with nothing but their clothes on their back. I for one would have said thanks, but I'm taking my ship and tech and setting up shop on Hawaii!

Do the people blowing themselves up think this is only their first life?

Suicide bombings are never right.

how is it any different

than an attack on a key enemy position that is overwhelmingly defended but has to be taken, or staying behind to hold a bridge knowing you are going to die, or going in with the first wave, or standing your ground defending your homeland knowing, again, that you are likely to die?

I think it depends on why and even how (do you avoid civilian causalities).

Never is a word that's often not true when used in these kind of contexts.

Re: how is it any different

Well, you answered your own question in your first paragraph. The word suicide has a definition.

huh?

everything I listed involved folks fighting a battle that will lead to them dying. Whether you charge into a group of enemy Soldiers with a knife, a gun, or a bomb strapped to your back, what's the difference? Your goal is to take out as many as you can while knowing you are going to die.

What makes suicide bombing so abhorrent is the why it's been used and who has been targeted. In recent history, that's meant used for religious extremism, and against innocent civilians, both being indefensible.

But I can see it being used against enemy forces, avoiding civilian injury/harm and being acceptable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT