ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know what the "BIG news coming this week!" is?

After thinking about this, guessing that a great former player will be a assistant Coach.

Reactions: DocRon
Do your homework

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm just pointing out that it's not very often that a head coach hires an assistant who is as accomplished (if not more so) than the head coach.

She's 56 and from what I can tell has had a generally successful career as a head coach at Xavier and Vandy. She seems to be known as an offensive innovator, which Purdue could definitely use. She was let go at Vandy in 2016 after a third straight down year, but that was hardly a career-ending train wreck. Her tenure at Vandy actually seems to mirror that of Versyp at Purdue in that she started off strong but tapered off. She hasn't had a head coaching gig since then and has instead served as a non-coaching analytical assistant at South Carolina (for their national championship year) and then one year as an assistant coach at Texas Tech. One article I read said she resigned the Tech position for a an unspecified "family medical issue." The same article suggested that "her sexual orientation, and perhaps even the race of her adopted children led to more difficulty finding a welcoming head coaching job," for whatever that's worth. That was a year ago. (article linked below)

I don't know; she still seems way over qualified. But, I guess that's good for Purdue. Is she a potential replacement for Versyp if next year doesn't work out? Is there some recruiting connection at work? She doesn't seem to be in any trouble with the NCAA.

https://highposthoops.com/2017/12/26/balcomb-steps-down/

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm just pointing out that it's not very often that a head coach hires an assistant who is as accomplished (if not more so) than the head coach.

She's 56 and from what I can tell has had a generally successful career as a head coach at Xavier and Vandy. She seems to be known as an offensive innovator, which Purdue could definitely use. She was let go at Vandy in 2016 after a third straight down year, but that was hardly a career-ending train wreck. Her tenure at Vandy actually seems to mirror that of Versyp at Purdue in that she started off strong but tapered off. She hasn't had a head coaching gig since then and has instead served as a non-coaching analytical assistant at South Carolina (for their national championship year) and then one year as an assistant coach at Texas Tech. One article I read said she resigned the Tech position for a an unspecified "family medical issue." The same article suggested that "her sexual orientation, and perhaps even the race of her adopted children led to more difficulty finding a welcoming head coaching job," for whatever that's worth. That was a year ago. (article linked below)

I don't know; she still seems way over qualified. But, I guess that's good for Purdue. Is she a potential replacement for Versyp if next year doesn't work out? Is there some recruiting connection at work? She doesn't seem to be in any trouble with the NCAA.

https://highposthoops.com/2017/12/26/balcomb-steps-down/

Does the name Rene Portland ring any bells for WBB fans?

Rene Portland was the head coach of the Penn State Lady Lions. Constantly in the top 10 national rankings. Won multiple B10 Championships. Passed away Jul 22,2018. So why do you ask

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT