ADVERTISEMENT

All's Quiet on the QB Front

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
not much one way or the other has been posted or tweeted on this free board regarding on our QB situation since the first week of spring practice...wondering if that's a good sign or if we still are undecided who are #1 is and who is getting most of the #1 reps!

We talk about the quarterbacks pretty much after every practice in our analysis. Been tracking completions/attempts and INTs all spring.

But I know you mentioned free stuff, and that's not free. :)

What is free is Darrell Hazell's appearance on our LIVE show, and he talked about the QBs then.

Hazell on LIVE

Suggest GBI rethink that policy.
There all of 35 Fans Online this morning; believe Nebraska had 35K+ for their spring game.
These boards are completely dead a week before our spring game.
No news is...no news.

Originally posted by Timbo1985:

Suggest GBI rethink that policy.
There all of 35 Fans Online this morning; believe Nebraska had 35K+ for their spring game.
These boards are completely dead a week before our spring game.
No news is...no news.

Really won't spring ten bucks to read it? You aren't that interested
Posted from Rivals Mobile

There has been plenty of such coverage on the premium board. I get my fix daily.

From the spring game only:

Danny Etling - 11-16-1, 148 yards, 0 TD, -16 yards rushing, 68.75% completion

Austin Appleby - 10-18-1, 147 yards, 1 TD, 4 yards rushing, 55.56% completion

David Blough - 16-22-1, 173 yards, 2 TD, 39 yards rushing, 72.73% completion

I went to the spring game and without looking at stats simple saw that Blough seemed to be the better QB on that day running the offense. Looking at the stats solidifies that opinion but didn't realize Etling played a decent game (on two different squads even). AA really didn't look the part of a starter in the spring game and I felt really played the worst of the three.

At this point in time looking at the jersey scrimmage where all three seemed to play evenly and then the spring game, I think the nod has to go to Blough with AA and Etling battling for the 2nd string. Although I still want to see Sindelar healthy this summer and fall to see what he can bring. If he can impress and push for the 3rd position, it is going to make for an incredibly interesting spring if one of the players doesn't transfer.

Since you have been around there a bunch more than me this spring, what does your gut tell you that the coaches will do with the QB spot this fall?

Appleby gets the nod going in to fall camp but Blough pushes in to the first week. If AA plays poorly or the team gets its doors blown off against Marshall, Blough comes in to start the rest of the season.

And in my honest opinion, Etling needs to transfer if he wants to see the field again. Sindelar will immediately take his spot at the #3 when his knee is healthy in the fall. Sad to say because Danny is a great kid but some times better players come along and you get buried on the chart. He would be a great QB for a lower level team some where.

Reactions: rbaggie
Appleby gets the nod going in to fall camp but Blough pushes in to the first week. If AA plays poorly or the team gets its doors blown off against Marshall, Blough comes in to start the rest of the season.

And in my honest opinion, Etling needs to transfer if he wants to see the field again. Sindelar will immediately take his spot at the #3 when his knee is healthy in the fall. Sad to say because Danny is a great kid but some times better players come along and you get buried on the chart. He would be a great QB for a lower level team some where.

Agree. I think Etling would shine at a lower tier MAC or mid major type school. He would be smart to transfer going into the fall, use his reshirt year and have 2 years to play.

Reactions: rbaggie
Not that I can defend his play, but he reminds me of Orton from 01-02. Pocket style qbs like him need time. Their best weapons are reading the defense and audibling while still maintaining pocket presence/awareness. Thats a far more delicate/time-intensive skill to develop than running read option/easy decision plays 40% of the time. The idea he was going to be able to do that so young is just dumb. Especially with that line and running game that just left him a sitting duck.

From the spring game only:

Danny Etling - 11-16-1, 148 yards, 0 TD, -16 yards rushing, 68.75% completion

Austin Appleby - 10-18-1, 147 yards, 1 TD, 4 yards rushing, 55.56% completion

David Blough - 16-22-1, 173 yards, 2 TD, 39 yards rushing, 72.73% completion

I know I seem to bring up our analysis a lot -- there's a reason, freeboarders :) -- but I charted all the QB numbers this spring. The spring game isn't the best gauge for a lot of reasons. The jersey scrimmage is a much better representation because it puts 1s vs. 1s, etc. And the QB completion percentages are pretty telling when you break them down against which defense they were against.

Stacy, any way you could share with us 'freeboarders'? :D

I had how many of Blough's passing yards during the jersey scrimmage came against the third-team defense. And how many of Etling's turnovers during the spring came against the first-team defense. And the percentage of Appleby's throws against the No. 1s in team periods.

I'm guessing, though, you wanted actual numbers, huh? ;) Sorry, man. Wouldn't be fair to the people who pay to get that info. Just want to let you guys know what you're missing sometimes. :)

I had how many of Blough's passing yards during the jersey scrimmage came against the third-team defense. And how many of Etling's turnovers during the spring came against the first-team defense. And the percentage of Appleby's throws against the No. 1s in team periods.

I'm guessing, though, you wanted actual numbers, huh? ;) Sorry, man. Wouldn't be fair to the people who pay to get that info. Just want to let you guys know what you're missing sometimes. :)
Can you at least dispel the notion that the spring game is anything more than just a glorified pickup game that is fun for the team and fans and in the greater scheme of things relatively useless for evaluation of talent unless you are looking at things on an individual level like how hard a guy is working? Or if he lined up right or made a penalty.

I saw other spring games on tv run the same way. MSU and Wisc had basketball players act as "coaches" for their spring game. The players select the rosters and its about fun, but you can get film on individual players efforts though.

I was kind of looking at it as comparing Blough to Etling and AA to Etling since Etling ran both offenses. When doing that, my opinion was that the offense looked better with Blough vs. Etling and that the offense looked better with AA vs. Etling. I was there for the jersey scrimmage and thought all three 'looked' similar but didn't see play from Blough and Etling to unseat AA as the starter. However, I did see enough from Blough during that jersey scrimmage to say he warranted the #2 spot AND a legitimate shot at the #1 during fall camp. Unfortunately with a very talented freshman who defaulted to the #4 spot because of injury (he still threw and did skelly work during spring ball), Sindelar and Etling will end up battling for the #3 spot. In all honesty, Etling would be better served to contact another program and try to slide in as a starter at another program. Honestly, he could slide to Indiana State and be eligible right now.

Can you at least dispel the notion that the spring game is anything more than just a glorified pickup game that is fun for the team and fans and in the greater scheme of things relatively useless for evaluation of talent unless you are looking at things on an individual level like how hard a guy is working? Or if he lined up right or made a penalty.

Even Hazell admitted there is little evaluation able to be done from a spring game. Its purpose is for "fun" and for the fans, he said.

Even Hazell admitted there is little evaluation able to be done from a spring game. Its purpose is for "fun" and for the fans, he said.
Yes, I know it, and you know it, but we still have novels written here about how certain players should be the full time starters and are the best on the team based solely on their performance at the spring game.

I was kind of looking at it as comparing Blough to Etling and AA to Etling since Etling ran both offenses. When doing that, my opinion was that the offense looked better with Blough vs. Etling and that the offense looked better with AA vs. Etling. I was there for the jersey scrimmage and thought all three 'looked' similar but didn't see play from Blough and Etling to unseat AA as the starter. However, I did see enough from Blough during that jersey scrimmage to say he warranted the #2 spot AND a legitimate shot at the #1 during fall camp. Unfortunately with a very talented freshman who defaulted to the #4 spot because of injury (he still threw and did skelly work during spring ball), Sindelar and Etling will end up battling for the #3 spot. In all honesty, Etling would be better served to contact another program and try to slide in as a starter at another program. Honestly, he could slide to Indiana State and be eligible right now.

If Sindelar is our third string, then we are much better off giving him a redshirt year and leave Etling as a number three. We really should try and create some space between him and Blough.

So in addition to my $500 JPC donation and $500 for season football tix, I need to fork over another $10 to see how the team looks?
You are correct: I refuse to blindly shell out yet more money for more of the same - with no interest in the fan base.
And they wonder why interest in PU football is at an all time low.

So in addition to my $500 JPC donation and $500 for season football tix, I need to fork over another $10 to see how the team looks?
You are correct: I refuse to blindly shell out yet more money for more of the same - with no interest in the fan base.
And they wonder why interest in PU football is at an all time low.

We aren't affiliated with Purdue at all, so not sure how your JPC/season ticket stuff has anything to do with subscribing to our website.

Purdue athletics' website is free.

And you're confirming my statements: the Purdue Athletics marketing efforts, which should be a consistent, jointed efforts across all media types are stuck in the 1980s. They should be doing whatever is necessary to increase fan interest - using any media avenue possible. I don't even want to calculate how much I've spent supporting this program over the last 25 years.
And to say a site with the title Gold and Black Illustrated is not affiliated with Purdue University is technically correct - but we're splitting hairs.
I'm out on this one. Thanks

And you're confirming my statements: the Purdue Athletics marketing efforts, which should be a consistent, jointed efforts across all media types are stuck in the 1980s. They should be doing whatever is necessary to increase fan interest - using any media avenue possible. I don't even want to calculate how much I've spent supporting this program over the last 25 years.
And to say a site with the title Gold and Black Illustrated is not affiliated with Purdue University is technically correct - but we're splitting hairs.
I'm out on this one. Thanks

You can spend your money however you want, obviously. Most of the free boarders will stay free boarders. I'm just trying to offer a glimpse into what we offer in our subscription stuff and how no one else covers the program like we do.

But to be clear -- and I want to make sure I make this point and will make it again and again -- to say "we're splitting hairs" is absolutely wrong. We're no different than the Journal & Courier. We are an independent media entity that is, again, NOT AFFILIATED with Purdue.

Thanks.

We aren't affiliated with Purdue at all, so not sure how your JPC/season ticket stuff has anything to do with subscribing to our website.

Purdue athletics' website is free.

Not sure why some are complaining so much about the content. I would love to pay the $10 for the content but the fact is I can't afford it at this time. The content I have been able to see from the subscriber portions are very well done and Brian, John, Stacey, and the whole staff do a great job of getting great content and getting to the base and not filling with a lot of fluff (look at Peegs for that)

Grumpy? Nope. Pretty ambivalent about the whole mess. Life's too short to fret too much about 18 yo kids playing a game.
Now I'm really out - so feel free to reply at will.
Enjoy the season.

ADVERTISEMENT