ADVERTISEMENT

About my 2 win prediction...

boiler17

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
After reading 60% of the preview mag, and that most recent notebook posted last week or so, Ive read multiple things Ive long looked for from this staff.

First, I love that they have a leadership group that meets with Hazell. Major improvement from where one can inference things were back in 2013 from coaches and player comments.

In the preview mag:

Anthrop seemed pretty emphatic/excited that the offense is tailored to the players, and an interview question strongly implied there have been more 4 and 5 wr sets in spring camp, and presumably in the fall. My primary fear for 2015 was that the staff would continue the emphasis on TE blocking and force what they want rather than work with what they have; deep wr corps. So running the same offense from last year with the 2015 team seemed like a recipe for disaster. But spreading out opponents and letting a strong OL and suprisingly strong rbs run against teams in dime and nickle sounds pretty good to me.

There are still plenty of coaching staff comments that baffle me, but they are all about the past, and nothing about the team now or the coming season seemed significantly off to me.

Im not sure where I stand now on my season prediction, but it was great to exhale a little cause Ive been waiting 2+ years to hear about good coach & player communication, and effective use of players.

Its also great to read Repogle may be one of the best players on the team. I thought he would turn in an average year and be pretty good his senior year. Like Ryan Baker.

Lastly, one think Kyle said resonated with me. One reads through each article of the magazine, and they all leave you pretty excited/puffy chested/thinkining 6-8 wins. However, taking a step back, its hard to step back and imagine that the execution/physical ability level of the team will instantly improve that much. That leaves me around 4 or so. But I still need to get to the other 40%

Reactions: boiler800
I think the first game will be the one that sets the stage for rest of year! Can't wait to see that game. Thinking positive

Im solidly thinking they should win that game now. They should be able to control both lines of scrimmage, and win by a small or large margin. The p5 games are the real litmus tests.

Anything less wreaks of the stuff Ive been whining about for 2+ years...

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Lastly, one think Kyle said resonated with me. One reads through each article of the magazine, and they all leave you pretty excited/puffy chested/thinkining 6-8 wins. However, taking a step back, its hard to step back and imagine that the execution/physical ability level of the team will instantly improve that much. That leaves me around 4 or so. But I still need to get to the other 40%

Let's not tell Kyle that something he wrote "resonated" with anyone, OK? ;) That's all his head needs ...

Don't get you man. First you say that you don't listen to and can't believe the coaching staff....and then you've heard enough from them to declare that we will be better?

I'd say 4 wins is our floor. Legit chance to go 6-6.

Most likely a step forward at 5-7 and one last year to get to a bowl game.

Hopefully we DO extend Hazell, but also reduce his buyout per year moving forward like they did with Hope when he got his re-up.

Reactions: boylerz99
First you say that you don't listen to and can't believe the coaching staff....

Still dont believe them in most regards. What they told me to expect and what they gave me in 2013 and 2014 are ridiculously different. However, most of their specific comments center around player utilization and team characteristics (stregths, weaknesses, attitude, etc.). They have been very straight forward with their scheme/formations so I fail to reject the null they present in this case. In addition, Anthrop's comments about the offense and what the roster currently is fit that a good coaching staff would run more of a spread this coming year.

I guess Im saying they will be better, but feel like people focus way too much on total number of wins and end all be all. Id settle for watching a team try hard or improving the number of competitive quarters. Either would qualify as large improvements for me.

Don't get you man.

Yeah, Ive thought about this a touch. You and I are likely to just argue forever. Lets say they do win 5+ games this year. You'll say it was all a part of the rebuild. I'll say they finally started listening to and getting effort from their players while not making bone headed coaching decisions at the same time. If they underperform I will view this as more evidense that this isnt going to work while you insist its Hopes fault.

Action talks louder than words. Ask me what I think about Purdue FB at the end of Nov. All coaches talk a good game in July.

Action talks louder than words. Ask me what I think about Purdue FB at the end of Nov. All coaches talk a good game in July.

Totally agree, but its hard passing time in July when youre borderline obsessed with college football. I used to be an 'optimist', but find trying to accurately predict performance to be way more engaging.

Totally agree, but its hard passing time in July when youre borderline obsessed with college football. I used to be an 'optimist', but find trying to accurately predict performance to be way more engaging.
That's why I'm thankful the BB program seems to have emerged from the Dark Days and is on a strong upward trend that with a couple more decent recruiting classes could be consistently good for years to come. I lost all Hope with the advent of the Hope years. Reminds me of the years of wandering in the desert that occurred between the end of the Mollenkopf era and the start of the Tiller years.

I don't see us being deep at wide receiver. Our top returning WRs are Anthrop (38 catches) and Posey (19). 5 of the 7 reception leaders from 2014 are gone and they take with them 130 of our 233 catches from last year. Our leading returning rushers are Green and Appleby. If Shoop's group is going to be any good next year there will have to be a lot of production from a lot of guys that haven't shown they can produce yet. Maybe the OL will make them all look good.

I don't see us being deep at wide receiver.

I agree to an extent, but way deeper here than at TE. At least there is potential at WR. TE just has a bunch of recruiting misses and a guy recovering from surgery.

I don't see us being deep at wide receiver. Our top returning WRs are Anthrop (38 catches) and Posey (19). 5 of the 7 reception leaders from 2014 are gone and they take with them 130 of our 233 catches from last year. Our leading returning rushers are Green and Appleby. If Shoop's group is going to be any good next year there will have to be a lot of production from a lot of guys that haven't shown they can produce yet. Maybe the OL will make them all look good.

Bilal Marshall is better than any WR we played last year. Yancey has to be better than last year, just because he was a virtual no show last year and he's already showed a lot of potential.

Hopefulle Trae Hart can fill in the BJ Knauf role for us this year.

I agree to an extent, but way deeper here than at TE. At least there is potential at WR. TE just has a bunch of recruiting misses and a guy recovering from surgery.

Brycen Hopkins is the real deal. Don't sleep on him. Florida doesn't offer "recruiting misses"

Trussell is a project...but so was Sinz. Sinz wasn't a great blocker, was slow as a sundial and had average hands. I don't think he'll be that tough to replace. Holmes.....he might go on an all time missed potential CFB team someday. If one of these guys can catch and block reliably, they are already better than him.

Brycen Hopkins is the real deal. Don't sleep on him. Florida doesn't offer "recruiting misses"

Trussell is a project...but so was Sinz. Sinz wasn't a great blocker, was slow as a sundial and had average hands. I don't think he'll be that tough to replace. Holmes.....he might go on an all time missed potential CFB team someday. If one of these guys can catch and block reliably, they are already better than him.

To an extent I like Jordan and Burke too, but thats a position that takes a few years to grow into. I dont expect anything of substance from any of these guys except Jordan, and thats just cause hes older and should have the strength to block and had a play or two that I liked last year.

Same with that DE you like. Maybe in 2-3 years...

To an extent I like Jordan and Burke too, but thats a position that takes a few years to grow into. I dont expect anything of substance from any of these guys except Jordan, and thats just cause hes older and should have the strength to block and had a play or two that I liked last year.

Same with that DE you like. Maybe in 2-3 years...

Jurasavich is an immediate upgrade over Sinz IMO. A bit quicker and he's a better blocker. Will be tough to replace Holmes' athleticism but outside of that he didn't bring much to the table.

I think Trussell will RS, and Hopkins will be a 10 snap a game guy.

Jurasavich is an immediate upgrade over Sinz IMO.

I like Sinz much better over Jordan. Agree with your points but Sinz knew how to get open. This staff likes to run the TEs on the lamest routes and they always have guys draped over them.

Would love to be surprised by Jordan this year

The statement about Sinz having "average hands" is laughable. He was the most reliable pass-catcher of anyone on Purdue's roster.

According to my sources, Sinz was targeted 43 times, 32 balls were catchable, and he caught 'em all for a drop rate of 0.00000 (rounded off to the nearest 100-thousanth of a drop). Pretty good hands.

Yeah, I track targets and catches and publish that in my Boilermaker Breakdown feature on Sundays during the season.

I wasn't just saying that about him just cuz I, ya know, have watched him in practice and games for the last three years not drop anything. :)

According to my sources, Sinz was targeted 43 times, 32 balls were catchable, and he caught 'em all for a drop rate of 0.00000 (rounded off to the nearest 100-thousanth of a drop). Pretty good hands.

He was the only catcher that could get open in under 3 seconds reliably.

Reactions: Mullah
You and I will probably always argue the opposite sides of the debate, but I do understand where you are coming from because you state your case clearly. It's a case of you and I not agreeing on what will come from this years team. I haven't changed my position that this team is far better than the majority give them credit for. This offense is going to be really good. The change of direction of this team comes from this years offense. I think the offense is better in practically all phases. And the "uptempo change of pace scheme" is going to be an immediate success. This scheme fits this roster. I only hope that all the opposition thinks we're going to be terrible like most of this board, because this team is going to shock some non-believers.

You and I will probably always argue the opposite sides of the debate, but I do understand where you are coming from because you state your case clearly. It's a case of you and I not agreeing on what will come from this years team. I haven't changed my position that this team is far better than the majority give them credit for. This offense is going to be really good. The change of direction of this team comes from this years offense. I think the offense is better in practically all phases. And the "uptempo change of pace scheme" is going to be an immediate success. This scheme fits this roster. I only hope that all the opposition thinks we're going to be terrible like most of this board, because this team is going to shock some non-believers.
Hopkins , I expect to see some time this year, Trussell should shirt, and how is Herdman coming along?

After reading 60% of the preview mag, and that most recent notebook posted last week or so, Ive read multiple things Ive long looked for from this staff.

First, I love that they have a leadership group that meets with Hazell. Major improvement from where one can inference things were back in 2013 from coaches and player comments.

In the preview mag:

Anthrop seemed pretty emphatic/excited that the offense is tailored to the players, and an interview question strongly implied there have been more 4 and 5 wr sets in spring camp, and presumably in the fall. My primary fear for 2015 was that the staff would continue the emphasis on TE blocking and force what they want rather than work with what they have; deep wr corps. So running the same offense from last year with the 2015 team seemed like a recipe for disaster. But spreading out opponents and letting a strong OL and suprisingly strong rbs run against teams in dime and nickle sounds pretty good to me.

There are still plenty of coaching staff comments that baffle me, but they are all about the past, and nothing about the team now or the coming season seemed significantly off to me.

Im not sure where I stand now on my season prediction, but it was great to exhale a little cause Ive been waiting 2+ years to hear about good coach & player communication, and effective use of players.

Its also great to read Repogle may be one of the best players on the team. I thought he would turn in an average year and be pretty good his senior year. Like Ryan Baker.

Took you a while but glad to see you finally understand what a few of us have been saying for months.

No one is saying 10 wins or even 8. I think most people I've heard max out at 7 with the hope we can get to 6

Took you a while but glad to see you finally understand what a few of us have been saying for months.

Just the matter of how long it took them to say what Ive been waiting to hear. Even then, as PB points out, I dont exactly trust these guys. Just glad to see some indication they are finally willing to work with what they have instead of what they wish they have.

Yeah, I track targets and catches and publish that in my Boilermaker Breakdown feature on Sundays during the season.

I wasn't just saying that about him just cuz I, ya know, have watched him in practice and games for the last three years not drop anything. :)

Not hard to catch a 5-7 yard pass routinely. Well, unless you're Gabe Holmes.

Saw Hopkins play a few times in high school and he seemed average...took a lot of plays off.....a little lazy. But he has the build and the pedigree to become a really good player if he wants it badly enough.

No one is saying 10 wins or even 8. I think most people I've heard max out at 7 with the hope we can get to 6

Agreed. I expect this program to make positive strides as would be expected in a 3rd year. I look at the schedule and see 6 wins as an appropriate goal to determine that progress. We'll see.

Oh...have you played Tight End before? Wasn't aware...

I could similarly criticize your credentials every time we dont agree. Speaking of credentials, the part where Stacy actually gets paid to do this carries some weight.

Agreed. I expect this program to make positive strides as would be expected in a 3rd year. I look at the schedule and see 6 wins as an appropriate goal to determine that progress. We'll see.

No one has been talking about the things Im saying for months. Sure, there have been plenty of blanket statements about the team getting better and the oline leading the team, but Ive been shouting these concerns since I started on here with no one having the least thing to say to the contrary except blaming Hope.

I could similarly criticize your credentials every time we dont agree. Speaking of credentials, the part where Stacy actually gets paid to do this carries some weight.

No one has been talking about the things Im saying for months. Sure, there have been plenty of blanket statements about the team getting better and the oline leading the team, but Ive been shouting these concerns since I started on here with no one having the least thing to say to the contrary except blaming Hope.

I'm personally past blaming Hope. This is year three and this will really show us if we are heading in the right direction. I'm hopeful and cautiously optimistic. Let's beat Marshall and see where this season heads.

I'm personally past blaming Hope. This is year three and this will really show us if we are heading in the right direction. I'm hopeful and cautiously optimistic. Let's beat Marshall and see where this season heads.
You are still blaming Hope? Hope was tossed 3 years ago. I am sure that Darrel is not blaming either of the past 2 years on Hope. If he is, then he will never build a championship team…
We do agree that the 1st game will set the tone for the rest of the season and also give insight on how the program is doing.

You are still blaming Hope? Hope was tossed 3 years ago. I am sure that Darrel is not blaming either of the past 2 years on Hope. If he is, then he will never build a championship team…
We do agree that the 1st game will set the tone for the rest of the season and also give insight on how the program is doing.

Did you read my post? I'm done blaming Hope and everyone else should be too.

That's why I'm thankful the BB program seems to have emerged from the Dark Days and is on a strong upward trend that with a couple more decent recruiting classes could be consistently good for years to come. I lost all Hope with the advent of the Hope years. Reminds me of the years of wandering in the desert that occurred between the end of the Mollenkopf era and the start of the Tiller years.
You are apparently unaware of the really good and entertaining teams of the Jim Young era. Purdue football has historically been 100% a function of the head coach. Young pretty much turned the Boilermakers into a Top Ten team within a year, the same as Tiller turning us into a Top Fifteen Team on a dime. This year and next will tell us all that we need to know about Hazell. If he can't win at least eight games next year, he- and Morgan Burke- should leave. Let the new AD hire the next coach.

Did you read my post? I'm done blaming Hope and everyone else should be too.
The first sentence is intended to cut the legs out of any "Hope left us a mess" excuse-makers. As with Jim Young and Joe Tiller both of which used the existing talent and offensive systems to not only create a competitive team but feared teams. The excuse that things were different 2 years ago from the 70's and '97 is just plain bs. Mollenkopf, Young and Tiller nurtured the advantages which they had.. they were few and creed the cradle of Quarterbacks. Fast forward to today. We all hope the Football team turns around. Having watched Purdue under Molenkopf a #1 national ranking, went to Purdue when Young roamed the side lines, and cheered with my kids with the Tiller era… Dicken, Brees, Orton, Painter at the helm. I am not amused by current product on the field.
Most are not satisfied with Purdue Football playing .500 . its is like drinking room temp coffee… Bitter and not very satisfying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigohh
As I said before, you are probably a five win team, and there will be obvious progress. ON other notes, Michigan probably wins 7 and goes to a bowl. Ohio St. can take one hit and still go to the championship round, as we saw last year. MSU is probably a one or two loss team. Penn St. will probably win 8.

As I said before, you are probably a five win team, and there will be obvious progress. ON other notes, Michigan probably wins 7 and goes to a bowl. Ohio St. can take one hit and still go to the championship round, as we saw last year. MSU is probably a one or two loss team. Penn St. will probably win 8.
You are probably right.And PSU ought to win at least eight games,as they play eight in Happy Valley.

The first sentence is intended to cut the legs out of any "Hope left us a mess" excuse-makers. As with Jim Young and Joe Tiller both of which used the existing talent and offensive systems to not only create a competitive team but feared teams. The excuse that things were different 2 years ago from the 70's and '97 is just plain bs. Mollenkopf, Young and Tiller nurtured the advantages which they had.. they were few and creed the cradle of Quarterbacks. Fast forward to today. We all hope the Football team turns around. Having watched Purdue under Molenkopf a #1 national ranking, went to Purdue when Young roamed the side lines, and cheered with my kids with the Tiller era… Dicken, Brees, Orton, Painter at the helm. I am not amused by current product on the field.
Most are not satisfied with Purdue Football playing .500 . its is like drinking room temp coffee… Bitter and not very satisfying.

But Hope DID leave us a mess. No experienced depth at QB. An OL with no depth that wasn't good. WRs that were wildly unproven or just not good. 0 LB depth.

I can agree that after 2 years, all excuses are null and void....but i'd love you to point me to a coach making less than $4mil a year that could have fixed all the issues this program had....from a branding and identity standpoint to a on field performance stand point in under 2 years.

That said, its put up or shut up time now. If there's a backslide, I would hope we move on and find another coach. If we win 4-5 games, the gauntlet is laid and its bowl or bust in 2016. If this is handled any other way, I can't imagine ANYBODY left in the stands in 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT