ADVERTISEMENT

A great read about Keady-Knight

I had come to know most of these facts, but still like reliving the thoughts. I was pretty young, but could never forget the intensity of those games in the 80's and 90's. Took my son to the famous Alabama game years ago and ran into Gene and talked for about 15-20 min about some of the people knew back in Lafayette. The stories are for sure true, great guy that was about as straight a shooter as I have ever met.

Could you enlighten those of us too young to remember any of that?😉
perhaps some of that was in various alumni dinners and such? Still, the coaches and players battled like it was a life or death situation and the players were very respectful of the opposing players after the game was over. Gene was a lot more animated than Matt...for those too young which excludes you! ;)

I had come to know most of these facts, but still like reliving the thoughts. I was pretty young, but could never forget the intensity of those games in the 80's and 90's. Took my son to the famous Alabama game years ago and ran into Gene and talked for about 15-20 min about some of the people knew back in Lafayette. The stories are for sure true, great guy that was about as straight a shooter as I have ever met.
I was at that game too! NIT home game I believe.

After games my wife and I go to Sorento's Restaurant.
The team would also eat there, they'd reserve a room in the back for the team.
Gene walked in as we were waiting to get seated and I said nice win Coach.
He talked with us for a good 10 minutes.
That week I called into his radio show and he remembered me, where I was from and asked how our meal was.
Genuine man.
And Congratulations Coach!

Regardless of your dislike for Doyel ...
Met this guy at work a few years back across the country in New York. He saw my Purdue hat and flipped a u-turn to flag me down and chat. Fortunately I did the same and couldn't believe who it was. To say the least he made my day..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT