ADVERTISEMENT

4th and 1 AOC scramble.

Great play by AOC, but how did both Durham and Jones get tackled trying to run their routes and no PI flag? That was unbelievable. Surprised the TV guys didn’t focus on it.
I agree, at the end of the day AOC got the first down anyways so it didn’t matter! They got that personal foul right on the 3rd down throw that sealed the deal!

Reactions: ejs1111
It is always funny to me when you can tell that the announcers clearly recognize an uncalled penalty on the replay but don’t want to say anything about it. During a Packers game this year they talked about what a great job they were doing protecting Rodgers then proceeded to show a montage of 5 or 6 obvious holds.

At least Millen admitted the hit on Durham should have been a penalty but he just kind of threw it out there and moved on talking about O’Connell’s gritty run. Nobody said anything about Jones being tackled except that he was “slow to get up”. Why was he on the ground there, fellas?

It is always funny to me when you can tell that the announcers clearly recognize an uncalled penalty on the replay but don’t want to say anything about it. During a Packers game this year they talked about what a great job they were doing protecting Rodgers then proceeded to show a montage of 5 or 6 obvious holds.

At least Millen admitted the hit on Durham should have been a penalty but he just kind of threw it out there and moved on talking about O’Connell’s gritty run. Nobody said anything about Jones being tackled except that he was “slow to get up”. Why was he on the ground there, fellas?
How many times did Millen give the "no harm no foul" excuse?

Great play by AOC, but how did both Durham and Jones get tackled trying to run their routes and no PI flag? That was unbelievable. Surprised the TV guys didn’t focus on it.

Unsure of the exact wording of the rule, but within 5 yards of the LOS, I thought you can jamb offensive players as long as the ball is not in the process of being thrown. That could be the reason why no flags were thrown.

I was switching back and forth between four games in the afternoon. One of the games I was watching was the Syracuse/NC State game. It was the 2:55 mark in the 4th quarter and the refs were reviewing a play. The score was 17-9 Syracuse and the announcer saw a Syracuse infracting on the play, which, even on replay, the refs were ignoring. The announcer complained that it was the third egregious miss by the refs during the game that went in Syracuse's favor. He went so far as to call the game marred by *chaotic" refereeing. Kudos to him for staying on it. At least we weren't the only ones who got screwed at the JMA Wireless Dome this year. I guess the moral of this story is that when you go to New York to play Syracuse, be prepared to grab your ankles.

Jam yes. Tackle no. And Jones was well past 5 yards.

Check again. Jones was not even close to 5 yards. Ball is just past the 50 and contact starts at the 47. Doesn’t matter where they land.

After I watched the replay, it sure looks like an intentional pick play by Jones. He seems to go right into the Nebraska player after passing Payne, and it looks like the Nebraska player tries to avoid him. Incidental contact.

Collision at 30:56

Last edited:
Unsure of the exact wording of the rule, but within 5 yards of the LOS, I thought you can jamb offensive players as long as the ball is not in the process of being thrown. That could be the reason why no flags were thrown.
You can’t tackle potential receivers. Those were not “jambs” - those were wrestling takedowns.

Hard to call pass interference if there's no, you know, actual pass. Maybe hold or illegal contact depending on the wording of the rule.

How many times did Millen give the "no harm no foul" excuse?
I thought that was frustrating to hear from the announcer. Obviously there was harm inappropriately done to the offensive scheme, maybe not physical harm to a player (thankfully), but that doesn’t mean it’s excusable. You would hope the announcers of any game in any sport can be objective when it comes to what they see on the field, just as you hope for the same with the officials.

You’re not allowed to tackle an eligible receiver.
Depends on how you tackle and where they are relative to the LOS.

The knock-down of Durham not even 2 yards down field was a great defensive play. Jones was a tougher call. He and #8 ran right at each other and embraced each other as they fell to the ground. All within 4 yards of LOS. When you run pick plays you probably aren't going to get that call on 4th & 1. That's probably a good "play on" and a great play by Aidan to improvise.

Depends on how you tackle and where they are relative to the LOS.

The knock-down of Durham not even 2 yards down field was a great defensive play. Jones was a tougher call. He and #8 ran right at each other and embraced each other as they fell to the ground. All within 4 yards of LOS. When you run pick plays you probably aren't going to get that call on 4th & 1. That's probably a good "play on" and a great play by Aidan to improvise.
I normally don't bitch about officiating because I think it all evens out, but 9 times out of 10, if a WR gets tackled, even if he's running a pick play, the defender gets flagged. Just surprised the announcers didn't focus on it more. But either way, just a helluva heady play at a crucial moment for AOC. (even though I disagree with the playcall on 4th and 1 with the game on the line).

I normally don't bitch about officiating because I think it all evens out, but 9 times out of 10, if a WR gets tackled, even if he's running a pick play, the defender gets flagged. Just surprised the announcers didn't focus on it more. But either way, just a helluva heady play at a crucial moment for AOC. (even though I disagree with the playcall on 4th and 1 with the game on the line).
yeah, a QB sneak w/ a RB pushing behind would have been alot easier. 2 or 3 inches were needed.

Reactions: ejs1111
yeah, a QB sneak w/ a RB pushing behind would have been alot easier. 2 or 3 inches were needed.
Agree. You've run the ball down their throat all night. Line up and hit em in the mouth again. Brohm could have outsmarted himself there if AOC doesn't tuck and run.

Reactions: pboiler18
If not for Aidan's slo-mo juke, there would have been a lot of second guessing the decision to pass there after all the success running the ball
Wasn't it Woody Hayes who said something like "3 things happen when you pass the ball and 2 of them are bad"

Agree. You've run the ball down their throat all night. Line up and hit em in the mouth again. Brohm could have outsmarted himself there if AOC doesn't tuck and run.

And after almost 100 plays at that point our OL would have pushed them 2-3 inches.

As bad as this play was and wondering why no flags were being thrown, there was another one that stands out more. Think it was 3rd quarter and Charlie had a route down the sideline and turned to make a catch and the DB was holding his other arm. The replay showed the ref just watching, with a perfect angle to realize that Charlie has 2 arms, and deciding keeping his hands on his hips was the best course of action.

Jam versus tackle. Both Durham and Jones were tackled. Both defenders fell down like it was incidental contact, but it’s REALLY odd that our two best receivers get taken out on the same play on a critical down. Completely planned IMO, especially after watching the replay.

It’s almost like NE had scouted the play and came up with that defense (to take out Durham and Jones)…JMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
You see that and it is just mind boggling that there was no flag for either...B1G refs are without question the most incompetent of any.

That was not a great playcall...very fortunate that it worked out as it did, and, it was due to the headiness of O'Connell.

Check again. Jones was not even close to 5 yards. Ball is just past the 50 and contact starts at the 47. Doesn’t matter where they land.

After I watched the replay, it sure looks like an intentional pick play by Jones. He seems to go right into the Nebraska player after passing Payne, and it looks like the Nebraska player tries to avoid him. Incidental contact.

Collision at 30:56
You are correct that it happened at about the 3-4 yard mark. But that shouldn't matter when it's a pure tackle of an eligible receiver. I really don't buy that it was a pick play because Jones isn't that type of player to try to get busted for that on such a key play. I just think they ran crossing patterns and Jones and the defender ran into each other.

You are correct that it happened at about the 3-4 yard mark. But that shouldn't matter when it's a pure tackle of an eligible receiver. I really don't buy that it was a pick play because Jones isn't that type of player to try to get busted for that on such a key play. I just think they ran crossing patterns and Jones and the defender ran into each other.
Yeah that's what I thought, but seeing how Jones changes his trajectory towards the defender and O'Connell is moving to his left, it seems like a play designed for Payne to get the ball. Pick play or incidental contact, there's no indication the Nebraska player was trying to hit Jones.

Plus, that would be a tougher throw across the field for O'Connell to get it to Jones, plausible but you want a high % play on 4th down. I also considered Purdue has run those type of plays frequently to get first downs, having Payne catch it right before or at the line to gain.

People just need to stop blaming refs on this play, I think it was a good no call regarding Jones/defender. Save the complaining for legit bad calls that affect the outcome of the game. O'Connell should be commended for making a play to get the first down, he made a defender miss. Brohm even smiled when talking about it in his Monday news conference.

Something else to consider, on the previous play (3rd down), Payne catches a pass and it looks like he stretched the ball out to the 49.5 yard line to get the first (I can't confirm when he was down). I wonder if Purdue could have challenged the spot to get the first since we were inches away and the ball was spotted much closer to the 50.

Reactions: FirstDownB
similar to what Harbaugh did vs psu, 3rd and 2 in psu territory running the ball well and calls a pass albeit a short one to the RB, gets deflected and goes for a pick 6

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT