ADVERTISEMENT

30 second shot clock approved

Feb 13, 2014
NCAA has approved the 30 second shot clock.

For selfish reasons, I don't love this rule. I think this may be a detriment to our post-centric offense.

among the other rule changes:

— Players will be given a six-foul limit during 2016 postseason play other than the NCAA tournament.

— Officials can consult video monitor feeds for potential shot clock violations throughout the game, not just in the final minutes.

— Teams will be awarded one shot when opponents are called for technical fouls for hanging on the rim or delay of game.

— The five-second, closely guarded rule while dribbing the ball is eliminated.

— Dunking in pregame warmups and halftime warmups is no longer prohibited.

I'm with you. This is to generate fan interest for many that don't even know what they are seeing while the game is going on. Let's just have them run up and down the court kicking the ball out of bounds while playing horse...

1250675188_family_guy_barfing.gif

Reactions: woggy718
They haven't called the 5 second call in 2 years other than extreme cases. We used to get one almost every game. The only one I remember last year was against Iowa. Sad to see that go, it was a good rule.

I disagree on the shot clock hurting us. Get the big guys set and get it to them. I think our D will benefit more from a shorter clock than our offense will hurt.
The other changes are really stupid. NBA has 6 fouls because the game is 20 minutes longer.

For selfish reasons, I don't love this rule. I think this may be a detriment to our post-centric offense.

— Players will be given a six-foul limit during 2016 postseason play other than the NCAA tournament.

— Officials can consult video monitor feeds for potential shot clock violations throughout the game, not just in the final minutes.

— Teams will be awarded one shot when opponents are called for technical fouls for hanging on the rim or delay of game.

What I don't get are the other rule changes…

6 fouls? No thanks.

Review for shot clock violations? This isn't rocket science.

-Five second call eliminated is dumb. It rarely happens, why get rid of it?

-I'm glad we can dunk in warmups now? That seems important.

I like the 5 second call... Why get rid of it. Also hate the 30 second shot clock. Trying to eliminate defense.... Ruining the game.

A 24 second clock would hurt us on offense. I think losing 5 seconds could help us as we get into our sets quicker. We will have balanced options in most postions and should have plenty of weapons to get a good look.

eliminating the 5 sec call is like you are penalizing defense. 5 second calls can be momentum, game changing plays. College is not the NBA.

Reactions: Cleanface
Let's face it they have successful made the college game more like the NBA which is not basketball! I can't wait to see one player dribble and hang on to the ball for the entire 30 seconds now, NOT! Three and four step layups are soon to follow. The NBA is about stars and the ball in the stars hands and not teams so I guess the powers to be in the NCAA want the same thing! Many think they are wrong and we will all see the great improvement in scoring just like the NBA did, wait the scoring in the NBA has been in a constant decline for years and years but it will work with the NCAA??????? European teams and players score more because they have better dribbling, passing and shooting skills, the NBA players dominate because they are more physical and are more athletic! Colleges have football for that! IMO, the 30 second rule and the 5 second rule changes are bad changes for college basketball!

g

I think more than anything, it puts added pressure on the guards [especially the PG] to quickly get the ball up the court, past the half court line, then into the team's offense. It would appear to possibly help pressing, aggressive defenses as well. Teams with weak or questionable guard play [or turnover prone], beware, defenders/defenses will surely test you now, earlier, & more often than ever. Just one more reason Purdue needs to find out who our guards are, our best PG/point guards, & shooting guard/shooting guards. Prepare them as early as legally possible for what's ahead this season, swarming defenses, full court pressure, new shot clocks & all.

I never did like the five second, closely guarded rule. Glad they got rid of it. Now, if they'll just get rid of the opening the game with a jump ball, I'll sleep even better. Rarely fails, the ref will toss the ball up, & no matter how high he tosses it, [or the height of either player] the player who thinks he can get away with stealing/tipping the ball after it has traveled only about 3 feet from the ref's hand, will inevitably tip [which is a violation] it prematurely. Of course, the violation is only called once in a blue moon. Just flip a coin & be done with the suspense of who's center/best leaper/ best thief can steal it first, and usually get away with it. Thank God this is down to once a game now. Eliminate it alltogether & improve the game even more.

With the way some refs call fouls, [as inconsistant as they are] the change can only improve the game. Haas should benifit nicely from this change. He's kind of like Shaq at times. He gets fouled, nothing is called, then he get's a little [too?] aggressive, & the nearest ref blows his whistle. If we figure out who the best guards [especially point guards] are early, I think this team can make the Final Four.

Last edited:
g

I think more than anything, it puts added pressure on the guards [especially the PG] to quickly get the ball up the court, past the half court line, then into the team's offense. It would appear to possibly help pressing, aggressive defenses as well. Teams with weak or questionable guard play [or turnover prone], beware, defenders/defenses will surely test you now, earlier, & more often than ever. Just one more reason Purdue needs to find out who our guards are, our best PG/point guards, & shooting guard/shooting guards. Prepare them as early as legally possible for what's ahead this season, swarming defenses, full court pressure, new shot clocks & all.

I never did like the five second, closely guarded rule. Glad they got rid of it. Now, if they'll just get rid of the opening the game with a jump ball, I'll sleep even better. Rarely fails, the ref will toss the ball up, & no matter how high he tosses it, [or the height of either player] the player who thinks he can get away with stealing/tipping the ball after it has traveled only about 3 feet from the ref's hand, will inevitably tip [which is a violation] it prematurely. Of course, the violation is only called once in a blue moon. Just flip a coin & be done with the suspense of who's center/best leaper/ best thief can steal it first, and usually get away with it. Thank God this is down to once a game now. Eliminate it alltogether & improve the game even more.

With the way some refs call fouls, [as inconsistant as they are] the change can only improve the game. Haas should benifit nicely from this change. He's kind of like Shaq at times. He gets fouled, nothing is called, then he get's a little [too?] aggressive, & the nearest ref blows his whistle. If we figure out who the best guards [especially point guards] are early, I think this team can make the Final Four.
I don't think it favors defenses who apply all out pressure, because those defenses can be attacked for quick buckets where the shot clock isn't a factor. I would agree that it helps sound defenses that apply some pressure to take time off the clock.

The 30 second rule works to our favor. Some teams will go the whole game without solving our defense now. Balance is the key. Press them a little in the backcourt to take time off the closk, then clog up the passing lanes off the wings, with AJ petrolling the paint. Crowd their guards and 30 seconds will be gone in a flash.

Our offense of feeding the post or shooting the open jump shot will function just fine most of the time in under 30 seconds. We will need to wathch for full court presses and learn to beat them. Beatting afull-couort usually leads to a quick score.

Wish they had kept the 5 second rule. That was always a cool way to reward the defnder.

:cool:

Let's face it they have successful made the college game more like the NBA which is not basketball! I can't wait to see one player dribble and hang on to the ball for the entire 30 seconds now, NOT! Three and four step layups are soon to follow. The NBA is about stars and the ball in the stars hands and not teams so I guess the powers to be in the NCAA want the same thing! Many think they are wrong and we will all see the great improvement in scoring just like the NBA did, wait the scoring in the NBA has been in a constant decline for years and years but it will work with the NCAA??????? European teams and players score more because they have better dribbling, passing and shooting skills, the NBA players dominate because they are more physical and are more athletic! Colleges have football for that! IMO, the 30 second rule and the 5 second rule changes are bad changes for college basketball!

I wasn't going to respond to this, because I have argued with some about it and neither side is going to change. But this has to be a joke. 3 point shooting has not changed (the nba also shoots from a farther distance than Europe - you see melo make like 9 threes in a FIBA game? because European threes are nba mid range jumpers), since the 3 point pointer was invented, lowest yearly commutative 3 point shooter 23.8%, highest 36.7%, this year 35%, scoring is actually up in the nba (highest in 20 years), and there are better players in Europe? Are you kidding me. Look at freaking Steph curry, the dude can barely dunk. Lebron is a freak athlete yes, but he is damn good at basketball. If all these Europeans are so great at passing, shooting, and dribbling, why do they get their ass kicked whenever they play the U.S.? This last FIBA games, it wasn't even the best nba players. Ha! Why do all of europes best players play in the nba? And by answering they get paid more, just proves they are in the nba, not Europe. You can argue about not liking this rule change, but calm down on the hyperboles. If you don't like this, I am sure hope you don't watch women's college basketball, they are going to quarters!! The travesty!! Speaking of that why is ok for the women's game to have a 30 second shot clock, but the men can't? Are they such better athletes, that that's why they did it? It's going to happen, it's not then end of all things holy, I doubt you notice much a difference at all.

Sorry rant over.

They haven't called the 5 second call in 2 years other than extreme cases. We used to get one almost every game. The only one I remember last year was against Iowa. Sad to see that go, it was a good rule.

I disagree on the shot clock hurting us. Get the big guys set and get it to them. I think our D will benefit more from a shorter clock than our offense will hurt.
The other changes are really stupid. NBA has 6 fouls because the game is 20 minutes longer.
The NBA plays 12 minute quarters so the game is only 8 minutes longer. That said I don't like the six fouls because it would allow a team to use the hack a player more effectively.

I think everyone is missing what I bolded above. I don't think the 5 second closely guarded call is going away, but it won't be called while the player is dribbling. Before, while being closely guarded, a player could hold the ball for <5 seconds, then dribble for <5 seconds, then hold the ball again for <5 seconds. Now, the player can hold the ball for <5 seconds, dribble as long as he likes, then hold the ball again for <5 seconds.

I think everyone is missing what I bolded above. I don't think the 5 second closely guarded call is going away, but it won't be called while the player is dribbling. Before, while being closely guarded, a player could hold the ball for <5 seconds, then dribble for <5 seconds, then hold the ball again for <5 seconds. Now, the player can hold the ball for <5 seconds, dribble as long as he likes, then hold the ball again for <5 seconds.
I think we only forced 3 of these last year anyway and was still a top defensive team. Personally the shot clock change I think is really going to help us in the long run.

I think we only forced 3 of these last year anyway and was still a top defensive team. Personally the shot clock change I think is really going to help us in the long run.

The new 30 sec. shot clock will help all defenses, to varying degrees. Probably, teams with stronger [more aggressive/better at pressuring the opponents, especially their guards] guard play, will be helped the most. Once the ball is inbounded, the offense starts with the guards/guard play. Our guards will have to prove early on, & often they are up to par, can handle the added pressure oppoents guards will soon throw at them. Much, much depends on the success & early success of our guard play. If the 30 sec. shot clock does help this team more than expose/hurt it, we'll find out early on. I wouldn't necessairly count that as a plus quit yet. If the early guard experiments turn out well, early, than maybe by the time the real test/B1G season comes, we'll have somthing to count as an early positive. I want to see the positive guard play, early & often, before I automatically call our guards B1G ready. Seeing is believing. If our early guard play is up to par, most of my other worries concerning this team are mild by comparison. You can bet Coach Painter is thinkng about our guard play right now, as much as anything else related to this team. That was an open wound exposed by too many of our opponents last season, especially early on.

For all the good it does, your center/PF might as well be a 7'/7'2"/or 6'9" paperweight, if your guards/perimeter player can't get him the ball properly. Our perimeter players must do a much better job of getting our post/low post players the ball this season. It all starts with the guards/guard play.

Last edited:
I don't mind the 30 second shot clock, but I hate that they got rid of the 5 second rule. Now one guy can dribble for 30 seconds, creating a boring NBA type one on one game.

The new 30 sec. shot clock will help all defenses, to varying degrees. Probably, teams with stronger [more aggressive/better at pressuring the opponents, especially their guards] guard play, will be helped the most. Once the ball is inbounded, the offense starts with the guards/guard play. Our guards will have to prove early on, & often they are up to par, can handle the added pressure oppoents guards will soon throw at them. Much, much depends on the success & early success of our guard play. If the 30 sec. shot clock does help this team more than expose/hurt it, we'll find out early on. I wouldn't necessairly count that as a plus quit yet. If the early guard experiments turn out well, early, than maybe by the time the real test/B1G season comes, we'll have somthing to count as an early positive. I want to see the positive guard play, early & often, before I automatically call our guards B1G ready. Seeing is believing. If our early guard play is up to par, most of my other worries concerning this team are mild by comparison. You can bet Coach Painter is thinkng about our guard play right now, as much as anything else related to this team. That was an open wound exposed by too many of our opponents last season, especially early on.

For all the good it does, your center/PF might as well be a 7'/7'2"/or 6'9" paperweight, if your guards/perimeter player can't get him the ball properly. Our perimeter players must do a much better job of getting our post/low post players the ball this season. It all starts with the guards/guard play.
I get the thought that it might help us on defense, but that is not the intent of the rule change. It's to create more scoring, which does not help us.

I can't see a huge difference in scores just by shaving five seconds off the shot clock. We will see but I liked the college game more than the NBA and I hate the constant attempts to make college more like the pros. The NCAA already prostituted themselves with the one and done rule which continues to erode the student athlete model. It will be interesting to see if the college presidents step up soon to end this mockery of fake grades and classes or continue to let it erode into the minor league it's becoming.

I think its all much ado about nothing. This isn't going to make teams press more. Most here are so worried about having a speedy ball handler on our team, that is what becomes the focal point of everything. 30 second clock = more reason to need a PG, 3 great bigs = more reason to have a PG, new paint job on our floor = more reason to have a PG. The fact is we couldn't break the press last year with what some on here think was a great (irreplaceable) PG. Its hard to break a press. That's why teams do it. Will we get pressed this year? Occasionally. No team will press us more than they did last year. I'm sure Painter is working on that as we speak. We'll be fine. I think the 5 second rule might actually help us out. If we go with RD or DM at the point, then they have 10 full seconds to back there defender to half court. They won't have to rush anything. 20 seconds is plenty of time to get into our offense and run multiple plays.

Reactions: Heller
I think its all much ado about nothing. This isn't going to make teams press more. Most here are so worried about having a speedy ball handler on our team, that is what becomes the focal point of everything. 30 second clock = more reason to need a PG, 3 great bigs = more reason to have a PG, new paint job on our floor = more reason to have a PG. The fact is we couldn't break the press last year with what some on here think was a great (irreplaceable) PG. Its hard to break a press. That's why teams do it. Will we get pressed this year? Occasionally. No team will press us more than they did last year. I'm sure Painter is working on that as we speak. We'll be fine. I think the 5 second rule might actually help us out. If we go with RD or DM at the point, then they have 10 full seconds to back there defender to half court. They won't have to rush anything. 20 seconds is plenty of time to get into our offense and run multiple plays.
I thought the 5 second rule only applied to the frontcourt?

ADVERTISEMENT