ADVERTISEMENT

3 New Bowls Approved

Dr_billy_badass

All-American
Dec 4, 2009
I know I probably bring this up every year, but this is getting ridiculously out of hand. Pretty soon every team is going to be going to a bowl and they'll all get participation awards. We are now up to 42 bowls which means 84 of the 127 teams will be going to a bowl game this year. That's like what 66% of teams will be going to a bowl game next year? I'm not sure how the math on that is even possible with the teams having to be at least 500 but I know it is.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...es-three-new-bowl-games-tucson-austin-orlando

Yes, I get it. Money Money Money talks... but it's really diluting the product and making most of the bowl games unwatchable.

I know I probably bring this up every year, but this is getting ridiculously out of hand. Pretty soon every team is going to be going to a bowl and they'll all get participation awards. We are now up to 42 bowls which means 84 of the 127 teams will be going to a bowl game this year. That's like what 66% of teams will be going to a bowl game next year? I'm not sure how the math on that is even possible with the teams having to be at least 500 but I know it is.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...es-three-new-bowl-games-tucson-austin-orlando

Yes, I get it. Money Money Money talks... but it's really diluting the product and making most of the bowl games unwatchable.

I would assume they'll lower the standard to 5-7 teams. Think there's already been talk of that.

I would assume they'll lower the standard to 5-7 teams. Think there's already been talk of that.
Yeah, as we've seen a few float in already due to certain ban circumstances... it's ridiculous to me even more if that's what they do. Who in the hell is going to want to go see, or even watch on tv a 6-6 team vs. a 5-7 team. We get enough of that during the year.

As things dilute, maybe one of the new ones will be: Pass the Marijuana Bowl!
Since we are not good enough to qualify any more and the administration seems focused on other than winning, this discussion seems irrelevant.

Bowl system will get too big- like a galaxy it will get so big it will collapse itself.

I think cap it with about 30. That is a lot and the top 1/2 of teams, give or take, are rewarded. I also think over the course of 2-3 weeks I can watch all or parts of 30 games.

Bowl system will get too big- like a galaxy it will get so big it will collapse itself.

I think cap it with about 30. That is a lot and the top 1/2 of teams, give or take, are rewarded. I also think over the course of 2-3 weeks I can watch all or parts of 30 games.
Except it can only do that if TV channels don't stop showing them. They don't care about ticket sales it's tv contracts and sponsorships that makes them money and with more and more shitastic sports channels being created and consolidated, they all want a piece of football no matter how bad the matchup is. And if they are willing to overpay for bad football on TV, then we'll keep getting it. They don't care what the bowl is as long as they can say in their promos that they cover bowl games.

Reactions: phillippankey
Except it can only do that if TV channels don't stop showing them. They don't care about ticket sales it's tv contracts and sponsorships that makes them money and with more and more shitastic sports channels being created and consolidated, they all want a piece of football no matter how bad the matchup is. And if they are willing to overpay for bad football on TV, then we'll keep getting it. They don't care what the bowl is as long as they can say in their promos that they cover bowl games.
I love when you get to the broadcast teams of crap bowls...

I don't have a problem with it for two reasons.

First, you know what bowl you're in. No one is confusing the coolguy heating and air bowl with the outback bowl.

Second, too often smaller d1 schools with appropriate records are left out. This alleviates it. Kind of like the cit for basketball is basically a mid major/low major tournament

Reactions: Bully4OldPurdue
I wish there was one body who set the bowl matchups. I don't think anyone would mind more bowls if we had assurances they were going to be intriguing. Pac 12 8 vs acc 9 or navy leads to many duds

You're going to need a few more 1-11 or 3-8 teams to get your 66% to a bowl game while still 6-6 or better.

Generally agree more is better. I could care less about NFL, so by the time those 'crappy' bowls come around Im more than excited enough to watch them, or at least have them on in the background while I do chores/play with children

Doc,

I do identify with your notion that 'bowls should matter', most just dont. I can reconcile that in my head because Purdue playing some junk bowl is still my rose bowl, so I can appreciate that from the perspective of other fans.

I also agree that the same committee should select bowl matchups.

Neither of these have the slightest chance of happening.

That Illinois bowl game was painful to watch, there are too many bowls now. Hopefully I am alive when they go to a full on playoff like the NCAA March Madness. I could not care less if they shorten the season to get it done. The bowl games are pretty lack luster unless it's one of the main ones.

ADVERTISEMENT