ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Wish List

Jun 25, 2015
Of the players "on the radar", who would you like to see in Gold & Black in 2016?

Going by the current status of the 2015-2016 roster, there should be 3 schollies open for '16-'17.

I'd like to see them get commitments from James Banks, Xavier Simpson, and a player to be named later.

Like you say 1-2 of the guys we will sign it is likely we have not even heard about yet.....

Of the players "on the radar", who would you like to see in Gold & Black in 2016?

Going by the current status of the 2015-2016 roster, there should be 3 schollies open for '16-'17.

I'd like to see them get commitments from James Banks, Xavier Simpson, and a player to be named later.
Simpson/Edwards, Banks, and Norvell.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasrar
So, what you're saying is that Purdue will have to resort to third and fourth options? That doesn't bode well for future success, am I wrong?

Recruiting is more like a game of musical chairs than a simple shopping list. Scholarships come and go while talents emerge and wane. The point is, it's a shifting landscape and we could bring in a good class late in the season.

So, what you're saying is that Purdue will have to resort to third and fourth options? That doesn't bode well for future success, am I wrong?
That may be true, but sometimes better options emerge later in the process than the players that looked like the best options early on. July is a crucial month from an evaluation perspective.

From what I've seen, I really want Simpson, but there will be a lot of disappointed fan bases when he makes his decision. I would guess that it is no more than 20% likely that he will choose Purdue. I like Purdue's chances, but I am not counting on him choosing to be a Boiler.

The player that appears like the most likely commit to me is Norvell and from what I've heard about him, he sounds like a very good fit. I also don't think it's out of the question that Norvell could eventually play point guard for Purdue if Painter fails to land a Simpson/Edwards type player.

From what I've seen, I really want Simpson, but there will be a lot of disappointed fan bases when he makes his decision. I would guess that it is no more than 20% likely that he will choose Purdue. I like Purdue's chances, but I am not counting on him choosing to be a Boiler.

The player that appears like the most likely commit to me is Norvell and from what I've heard about him, he sounds like a very good fit. I also don't think it's out of the question that Norvell could eventually play point guard for Purdue if Painter fails to land a Simpson/Edwards type player.

What makes you think that Norvell appears to be the mostly likely to commit? From what I have read he looks like an Illini lean if anything. It was also mentioned previously that he plays for an AAU team that CMP doesn't really have strong ties with.

I would love to land him after losing out on Cumberland, but I would be surprised if he leaves Illinois.

What makes you think that Norvell appears to be the mostly likely to commit? From what I have read he looks like an Illini lean if anything. It was also mentioned previously that he plays for an AAU team that CMP doesn't really have strong ties with.

I would love to land him after losing out on Cumberland, but I would be surprised if he leaves Illinois.
I'm mostly basing it on what Brian said on Gold and Black radio.

Also, Illinios really appears to have a log jam at the 2 and he doesn't sound like a point guard in Groce's system.

Are you referring to oldboiler's post last week, where he succinctly stated "ethics" was the single reason Painter didn't do well recruiting that program? He may have some inside info I don't, but I would think of all people, Painter is likely to have the best handle on his chances based on the relationship he has with that program's coaches. And from what I've seen from Painter, he has recruited players from that program in the years past and he is recruiting players from that program now. Don't want to disparage OB and his recruiting tidbits, but I don't know how much stock I put in that statement given the facts. Painter would have to be a complete idiot to invest time in recruiting kids he felt he had zero chance with, and I doubt that's the case.

I'm mostly basing it on what Brian said on Gold and Black radio.

Also, Illinios really appears to have a log jam at the 2 and he doesn't sound like a point guard in Groce's system.
Just what is "Groce's system"??? His teams seem about as well coached as the Loosiers.

Just what is "Groce's system"??? His teams seem about as well coached as the Loosiers.
Fair point.

Crean and Groce both like to spread the court and play isolation ball on the perimeter. With the right players, it can be hard to defend, but I don't think that Groce has ever really had the right mix of players at Illinois.

Probably. Many of the late bloomers turn out much better than the early choices. There are a lot of very good players out there that have not been discovered yet. People have criticized MP in the past for giving scholarships to players that never improved when he should have been patient and waited for the real stars to emerge. Patience is the key word. He could stand pat for the 2016 class and grab more, better players in the 2017 class.

Reactions: Bill4411
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT