ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Best Available

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
Here is a short list compiled of what I believe to be the best available players on the market and who also will be eligible to play next season:

DI:

-PG/SG Dylan Ennis (grad transfer) 6'2 195 (one season at Rice and two seasons at Villanova)

-PG/SG Ricky Tarrant (grad transfer) 6'1 190 (two seasons at Tulane and one season at Alabama)

-SG/SF Ike Nwamu (grad transfer) 6'5 205 (Mercer)

-PF/SF Shonn Miller (grad transfer) 6'7 215 (Cornell)

-PF/SF Mark Tollefson 6'10 200 (grad transfer) (San Francisco)

-PF Tyler Harris (grad transfer) 6'9 220 (one season at NC State and two seasons at Providence)

-PF Rafael Maia (grad transfer) 6'9 235 (Brown)

Am I missing someone? Who else should be considered by the coaching staff?

I thought I read someone mention a decommit from St. John's named Brandon Sampson.

This post was edited on 4/14 12:26 PM by nagemj02

Verbal Commits

any feedback on someone being overlooked?

I will add Villanova PG Dylan Ennis to the list.

I know I'm basically talking to myself so far in this thread, so feel free to share any thoughts you might have on this topic.

Regardless of Swanigan's decision, another player is likely to be added this offseason. The biggest need is for a point guard-type that is an impact player. Of some of the better transfer candidates mentioned, would you rather see Coach Painter try to get more of a true point guard type like Anthony Collins from South Florida? Or would you rather see him go after more of a proven shooter and scoring threat that might not have as good of handles like a Dylan Ennis from Villanova or a Trey Lewis from Cleveland State?

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that the best transfer on the market right now (that's eligible to play next season) might be Damion Lee from Drexel. From what I understand he's sort of a wing/2-guard hybrid but most of all, he is a scorer. He was fifth in the nation in PPG this season (21.4 PPG) and did it with pretty good shooting numbers, especially his FT shooting. In an article I found, his comments about why he was transferring almost sounded exactly like the comments Jon Octeus made when he decided to transfer from Colorado State. CMP has a good example for a selling point if the staff chooses to pursue Lee.

So should look for the best available player overall or focus solely on getting someone that do a good job playing the 1?

Damion Lee article

Question on the players who already transferred once earlier in their careers. Wouldn't they have lost one year of eligibility due to the first transfer? Why do they still have a year left?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Because they still took care of business and got there degree in 4 yrs. Not having to sit after graduating allows them to bounce around more.

Do you have any indications Painter or his staff are looking at any of these guys?

Originally posted by atkinsbj:
Because they still took care of business and got there degree in 4 yrs. Not having to sit after graduating allows them to bounce around more.

So the ones who were at the same school the whole time graduated in 3 years? Thanks.

Originally posted by Boiler Buck:
Do you have any indications Painter or his staff are looking at any of these guys?
Considering the JO pickup for this year, I assume CMP and staff are looking broadly, including people on the list and others not on the list.

Originally posted by BoilerBulldog:

So the ones who were at the same school the whole time graduated in 3 years? Thanks.

possible they graduated in 3 or that they graduated in 4 but had a redshirt year at some point during that 4 years.

Originally posted by Sennsational1:

possible they graduated in 3 or that they graduated in 4 but had a redshirt year at some point during that 4 years.

The players listed that have been at the same school their entire college career have all redshirted a season due to an injury, so that lost season has preserved an extra season of eligibility for them.

Boiler Buck, I believe I read that the coaching staff has contacted Trey Lewis. I don't know who else they've contacted but I would imagine they are looking for someone to play the 1 first and foremost.

This post was edited on 4/6 3:40 PM by nagemj02

It's time to cross Trey Lewis off the list. Pitino and Louisville are on the ball apparently and have him going their way for next season.

I would prefer Anthony Collins between him and Dylan Ennis, because from what I've read, he is a coach on the floor, aka a floor general. It appears that he is always able to facilitate and have high-assist numbers, despite not always being a major scoring threat.

Originally posted by nagemj02:
Originally posted by Sennsational1:

The players listed that have been at the same school their entire college career have all redshirted a season due to an injury, so that lost season has preserved an extra season of eligibility for them.

Boiler Buck, I believe I read that the coaching staff has contacted Trey Lewis. I don't know who else they've contacted but I would imagine they are looking for someone to play the 1 first and foremost.

This post was edited on 4/6 3:40 PM by nagemj02

Thanks for the clarification.

If they can't get Swanigan, I hope they can get in on Chris Boucher. He was named JUCO Player Of The Year. He's a 6'10, 210 lb. power forward that has some similarities to JaJuan Johnson. He is a better 3PT shooter than JJ, though. He can score inside-out, rebound, block shots, and he's a good shooter.

This post was edited on 4/6 7:56 PM by nagemj02

best available JUCO player

Nage. I am back. JUCO. Transfers. That's our best bet to get to final four. Hope we are way more active than it appears on this board. Wish Brian would give recruiting updates more often.

Originally posted by Wilt 13:
Nage. I am back. JUCO. Transfers. That's our best bet to get to final four. Hope we are way more active than it appears on this board. Wish Brian would give recruiting updates more often.
I would include coaching as well (recruiting with some salesmanship mixed-in, game preparation, in-game coaching, instilling confidence in players who are capable of being very good or great, etc). There are a lot of different ways and a lot of different styles that a team can play to be successful at scoring points or at preventing scoring in-between possessions. There isn't only one way or one style that has to be played on offense and defense in order to achieve those things.

Another one of these players is pretty much eliminated as a Purdue prospect now. Former South Florida PG Anthony Collins has stated that he will choose either Baylor, Georgetown, or Tennessee as his next destination.

I will take him off of the list.

This post was edited on 4/9 11:15 AM by nagemj02

I would add this guy to my wish list:

just saw that he has announced that he is transferring.
Thanks for the update.

He would definitely be a good addition but barring something unforeseen, he won't be able to play next season. He will have to sit out wherever he goes.

yeah. I realize he wouldn't be able to help next year, but he would be a nice addition for the following year. That would give us 2 junior pg's. Which sounds really nice to me.

yeah. I realize he wouldn't be able to help next year, but he would be a nice addition for the following year. That would give us 2 junior pg's. Which sounds really nice to me.
I agree. This is all presuming that he would have any interest in Purdue but if he did, it could be a tough decision to make, in terms of how many scholarships the coaching staff want to preserve for the next few years. He probably would be as good or better than any other PG the staff could get for the 2016 class.

Re: 2015 Best Available[/URL]nagemj02 posted on 4/7/2015...

Originally posted by Wilt 13:
I would include coaching as well (recruiting with some salesmanship mixed-in, game preparation, in-game coaching, instilling confidence in players who are capable of being very good or great, etc). There are a lot of different ways and a lot of different styles that a team can play to be successful at scoring points or at preventing scoring in-between possessions. There isn't only one way or one style that has to be played on offense and defense in order to achieve those things.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would take another great find like Jon Octeous or a JUCO transfer. JUCO creates continuity for at least 2 years which would be perfect. I'm still a huge Painter supporter. I like how he developed this team this season.

"I would take another great find like Jon Octeous or a JUCO transfer. JUCO creates continuity for at least 2 years which would be perfect. I'm still a huge Painter supporter. I like how he developed this team this season."

Well, Dylan Ennis would play the PG position if he chose Purdue, just like Jon Octeus.

Chris Boucher is one of the best JUCO's still available, if not the best.

Re: 2015 Best Available[/URL]nagemj02 posted on 4/9/2015...

"I would take another great find like Jon Octeus or a JUCO transfer. JUCO creates continuity for at least 2 years which would be perfect. I'm still a huge Painter supporter. I like how he developed this team this season."

Well, Dylan Ennis would play the PG position if he chose Purdue, just like Jon Octeus.

Chris Boucher is one of the best JUCO's still available, if not the best.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

What are our chances with Ennis & Boucher.....Are we pursuing them?

Originally posted by Wooden 31:

What are our chances with Ennis & Boucher.....Are we pursuing them?
I saw that Chris Boucher already has a final list of schools from which he will choose (Minnesota, Wyoming, Oregon State, TCU, Washington State, Texas Tech), so he's not an option anymore.

The coaching staff has already contacted Dylan Ennis. I would say that Purdue has as good of a chance as any other school to get him. I've read that he wants to play on a competitive team where he's the primary point guard and he would get that opportunity with the Boilers. The coaching staff can point to the success Jon Octeus had this past season as a grad transfer at Purdue and how he adjusted quickly to being the starter at the 1.

I agree with the other posts on here that the coaching staff needs to land a 5-star prospect every once in awhile if they want to be able to stick around for another 10 years.

However, in this particular year and in this particular instance, if they get PG Dylan Ennis and one more quality player (likely another one of the grad transfers available: maybe a go-to scoring machine like swingman Damion Lee or a tall and strong 4 man like a Tyler Harris), it will make everyone forget about Caleb Swanigan next season.

This post was edited on 4/11 9:03 AM by nagemj02

Damion Lee has narrowed his choice to five schools (Arizona, Gonzaga, Louisville, Marquette, Maryland). Barring a Jon Octeus-like chain of events, he can be crossed off the list.

Big guard/wing Ike Nwamu, who played on the Mercer team that beat Duke last year and was their leading scorer this past season, is transferring. He will graduate in May and be able to play immediately next season.

Interesting demands.

Is there even a lick of info that Ennis is even seriously considering Purdue? Or is it just what people are assuming.

Re: Not an insider and too lazy to research it...

Originally posted by indianascout1991:
...how many scholarships does Purdue have available to sign these guys? Thanks.
2 scholarships for next season

I am listing what I consider to be viable options.

CMP will contact a bunch of these guys...checking on character and fit. When we see a visit either way by coach or player then we will know it is getting serious and Purdue is in contention with serious interest

Originally posted by Boiler Buck:

CMP will contact a bunch of these guys...checking on character and fit. When we see a visit either way by coach or player then we will know it is getting serious and Purdue is in contention with serious interest
Sometimes there isn't even a visit before the player decides (i.e. Jon Octeus).

I wonder if Sterling Carter visited Purdue before making his decision a couple of years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT