ADVERTISEMENT

2011 vs 2016

Fantasy faceoff. Who'd win?

• Total voters

dumpsterFyre

Senior
Aug 17, 2012
This topic is obviously just a flight of fancy. Many people regarded our 2011 team as a Final Four contender before the ill-fated Minnesota game. The 2011 and the upcoming 2016 squad, I believe, are Painter's best teams, but how do you think they would square off?

Personally, I would give the slightest of edges to the 2011 squad for their intangibles in Hummel and CK.

I had to go with 2011 simply because of Hummel. 2016 will have a ton of talent but Hummel was something special.

You are comparing a proven to a yet unknown, so the responses will be biased. I have never seen Biggie play other than some highlight real dunks. People always look good in highlight videos.

I think this team has every thing it needs to be as good or better, we definitely have a much better inside game this year. The backcourt is a bit unknown. Time will tell I guess.

Reactions: dmosier4
First off, I think you mean 2010, not 2011. Second, I think 2010 starters are / were better, but 2015 / 16 is deeper.

It could end up being this years team, but only if it ends up being Hill at PG and Davis at SF

We had 3 NBA players on that team and they had only lost 3 games that season before Robbie's injury. That was a DEFINITE Final Four team and a likely championship caliber squad.

You are comparing a proven to a yet unknown, so the responses will be biased. I have never seen Biggie play other than some highlight real dunks. People always look good in highlight videos.

I think this team has every thing it needs to be as good or better, we definitely have a much better inside game this year. The backcourt is a bit unknown. Time will tell I guess.

To be fair, Woggy, 2011 never got to test it's full potential in the tournament with Robbie going down. :(

I went with this year's team because I feel like it's a lot deeper. A lot will depend on what type of play we get out of the 1 spot, but if it's anything close to competent, I like this year's team more because it's deeper. I also expect big improvements from all of our sophomores.

The 2009-2010 team had Kramer, and the Big 3 before Hummel got hurt. That was the year Hummel tore his ACL and we lost to Duke in the Sweet 16. That team was stronger than the 2010-2011 team.

We had 3 NBA players on that team and they had only lost 3 games that season before Robbie's injury. That was a DEFINITE Final Four team and a likely championship caliber squad.
And all 3 games we were missing Lew Jack, including a full court press meltdown at home against OSU where we needed his speed desperately.
No one can convince me that 2010 wasn't a title team, especially since the tourney that year was junk. We embarrassed MSU on their home floor that year and crushed WV at home - both FF teams. We won at top 10 OSU and beat Tenn who believe made the elite 8. But that's how it goes. The cruel part was the re-injury and getting ripped off the following year.
Getting Biggie was comically unlikely it seemed. Maybe it is finally our time to stop finding a banana peel to slip on.

Reactions: bodog57 and rasrar
ADVERTISEMENT