ADVERTISEMENT

2010 vs 2015

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
http://boiledsports.com/2015/who-wins-2009-2010-vs-2015-2016-purdue-basketball.html

Wanted to bring up this article for discussion.

My only beef is that he seems to be hard on Jackson. Dude posted a 3.67 A/TO ratio. His freshman year he posted similar ratios to PJ's freshman year, but in twice as many minutes, so in my opinion it's more impressive. Jackson was never the "turnover machine" that the author claims. The issue with Jackson that year was health, so it's understandable if he's not picked against his 2015 counterpart.

I also feel like he's not fully appreciating JJ's junior season. Yes, he was skinny. But he was 2nd team B10 and on the All-Defense team. He wasn't the monster that he was his senior year, but he was still very very good.

I also wanted to share a Robbie memory. Before the first game Robbie was a part of the huddle, kind of bobbing and weaving with the team. I remember actually laughing at how uncoordinated and lanky he seemed. But he was just such a great bball player from the first minute he suited up for Purdue.

In my composite stat rankings (like Hollinger's PER but modified for the college game), I have tracked players since 1993. Here are the numbers:
2010 (team total = 330)
PG - Grant (SR) - 31.2
SG - Kramer (SR) - 45.1
SF - Moore (JR) - 62.3
PF - Hummel (JR) - 59.2
C - Johnson (JR) - 67.7

2015 (total = 319, surprisingly not far off)
PG - Mathias (F) - 20.3
SG - Davis (JR) - 47.8
SF - Stephens (SO) - 28.7
PF - Edwards (F) - 46.9
C - Hammons (JR) - 59.4

I know the numbers won't mean anything to anybody, but it's all relative. Can the above guys make the leap to match the 2010 numbers? It'll be tough, but in 2016 we have an impact newcomer that has no 2010 comparison.

I agree with his statement on Mathias at the PG spot. I don't get the logic behind that based on the visual evidence we had last year.

The 2010 team wins because they had 4 guys, maybe 5 that you could put the ball in their hands in critical moments and they could create a bucket for themselves. They had at least 3 alpha dogs (hummel, moore, Kramer) who weren't afraid to take over when the game was on the line and carry a team on their back. They had better guards and that is what really wins in college basketball.

The 2015 team looks really good on paper and should be good, but I don't know who the alpha dog is and I don't know who the team will look to when the game is on the line and they need somebody to make a play. Ray and Vince are the likely candidates, but they have yet to consistently prove they can carry a team.

The 2010 team wins because they had 4 guys, maybe 5 that you could put the ball in their hands in critical moments and they could create a bucket for themselves. They had at least 3 alpha dogs (hummel, moore, Kramer) who weren't afraid to take over when the game was on the line and carry a team on their back. They had better guards and that is what really wins in college basketball.

The 2015 team looks really good on paper and should be good, but I don't know who the alpha dog is and I don't know who the team will look to when the game is on the line and they need somebody to make a play. Ray and Vince are the likely candidates, but they have yet to consistently prove they can carry a team.
Well there was this one guy who was 7 feet tall and was pretty much single handedly the entire offense...............

http://boiledsports.com/2015/who-wins-2009-2010-vs-2015-2016-purdue-basketball.html

Wanted to bring up this article for discussion.

My only beef is that he seems to be hard on Jackson. Dude posted a 3.67 A/TO ratio. His freshman year he posted similar ratios to PJ's freshman year, but in twice as many minutes, so in my opinion it's more impressive. Jackson was never the "turnover machine" that the author claims. The issue with Jackson that year was health, so it's understandable if he's not picked against his 2015 counterpart.

I also feel like he's not fully appreciating JJ's junior season. Yes, he was skinny. But he was 2nd team B10 and on the All-Defense team. He wasn't the monster that he was his senior year, but he was still very very good.

I also wanted to share a Robbie memory. Before the first game Robbie was a part of the huddle, kind of bobbing and weaving with the team. I remember actually laughing at how uncoordinated and lanky he seemed. But he was just such a great bball player from the first minute he suited up for Purdue.

In my composite stat rankings (like Hollinger's PER but modified for the college game), I have tracked players since 1993. Here are the numbers:
2010 (team total = 330)
PG - Grant (SR) - 31.2
SG - Kramer (SR) - 45.1
SF - Moore (JR) - 62.3
PF - Hummel (JR) - 59.2
C - Johnson (JR) - 67.7

2015 (total = 319, surprisingly not far off)
PG - Mathias (F) - 20.3
SG - Davis (JR) - 47.8
SF - Stephens (SO) - 28.7
PF - Edwards (F) - 46.9
C - Hammons (JR) - 59.4

I know the numbers won't mean anything to anybody, but it's all relative. Can the above guys make the leap to match the 2010 numbers? It'll be tough, but in 2016 we have an impact newcomer that has no 2010 comparison.
Wow. I think I'm officially dumber now after reading the story in that link. There is so much wrong with it, I can't begin. It makes you wonder if people even watch the games.

Wow. I think I'm officially dumber now after reading the story in that link. There is so much wrong with it, I can't begin. It makes you wonder if people even watch the games.

You should follow the writer on twitter. Guy is an idiot. Makes you wonder how big a fan he is concidering he didn't even know who Robbie Hummel was when going to his first game.

It's an interesting comparison. I wouold agree that the combination of Smooge and Hummel made that 2010 team special. However, the unexpected loss of Robbie exposed the fragility of that team. They had no punch off the bench. The 2015 team seems to have a bench that can power throught similar situations. For example, our leading scorer at the time, Stephens, goes down, and we do just fine.

I might also contend that we haven't seen the real Stephens yet. His injuries have happered him every year. Smoogh had remarkably few injuries. If Kendal can give us a healty year, he might prove to be a more prolific scorer than Moore was. Stephens needs to demonstrate consistency. Something that Morre brought everytime.

Although NC was well liked as a center and JJ-backup, I think Haas is a far better replacement for AJ as back-up center. We used to fall down when JJ had to leave the game. I don't see the same fall-off when Haas comes in for AJ. I think the intimidation factor goes up with Haas. You can see the "Oh Sh-t" look in the face of the opponent's center as Haas walks on court.

I do agree that Kamer did more psycological damage to opponents than RayDay, but they are close when it comes to game impact. RayDay tends to provide better leadership inside the team than Kramer. I think he is far more influential with his teammates than Kramer ever was, and may have contributed more towards recruiting than we realise. That is something Kramer did not provide to the 2010 team.

Overall it is a fun comparison , but I don't put too much stock in it in terms of predicting comparative NCAA or BIG outcomes.

:cool:

It's an interesting comparison. I wouold agree that the combination of Smooge and Hummel made that 2010 team special. However, the unexpected loss of Robbie exposed the fragility of that team. They had no punch off the bench. The 2015 team seems to have a bench that can power throught similar situations. For example, our leading scorer at the time, Stephens, goes down, and we do just fine.

I might also contend that we haven't seen the real Stephens yet. His injuries have happered him every year. Smoogh had remarkably few injuries. If Kendal can give us a healty year, he might prove to be a more prolific scorer than Moore was. Stephens needs to demonstrate consistency. Something that Morre brought everytime.

Although NC was well liked as a center and JJ-backup, I think Haas is a far better replacement for AJ as back-up center. We used to fall down when JJ had to leave the game. I don't see the same fall-off when Haas comes in for AJ. I think the intimidation factor goes up with Haas. You can see the "Oh Sh-t" look in the face of the opponent's center as Haas walks on court.

I do agree that Kamer did more psycological damage to opponents than RayDay, but they are close when it comes to game impact. RayDay tends to provide better leadership inside the team than Kramer. I think he is far more influential with his teammates than Kramer ever was, and may have contributed more towards recruiting than we realise. That is something Kramer did not provide to the 2010 team.

Overall it is a fun comparison , but I don't put too much stock in it in terms of predicting comparative NCAA or BIG outcomes.

:cool:

I mean, the overall conclusion is that the 2 teams are very different.

We didn't have near the interior presence in 2010 that we have now.

We didn't have near the depth in 2010 that we have now.

We had more overall experience in 2010 (this 2015 team STILL only has 2 returning players that will be seniors).

In 2010, our 3 best players were spread across 3 different positions and were 3 heavy contributors. Our top 3 contributors on this year's team do not add up to those 3 - definitely more "spread" across the team.

That being said, as mentioned, there was more of a go-to presence on that team. That's not to say there won't be on this team - certainly there are guys with great potential.

But it's really not worthwhile comparing the two teams as they are 2 very different teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT