ADVERTISEMENT

15 record

PU plays 6th most difficult schedule in the nation, with opponents going 97-61
14 pt underdog to Marshall who will be having a record setting sellout and have circled this game on
their calendar - just to start!
I wouldn't get to overly optimistic on # of wins

Two wins will be considered a step forward. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but Wow...

I see more like 2 wins coming. I think anywhere from 2-4 is pretty reasonable though. 5 seems overly optimistic imo.

The line and linebacker play will be strong, and I think the year will generally be considered a step forward with regards to overall team efficacy and competitiveness. I'm unsure if the qb and wrs can play together/in sync. My 2 wins presumes they do connect on some big passes here and there but nothing reliable. Not enough to keep the safeties back on running downs.

Im critical we can replace Hunt and Mostert. I do think the youngsters at RB will perform well. However, without the breakaway speed, they have to sustain long drives to get into the endzone. Ultimately, I think lots of 1-3 first down drives are coming, and not enough competence to make plays in crunch time.

Defensively, Im very uncomfortable with the line, and getting pressure on qbs in particular.

Mostly, I doubt the coaches are able to get the best out of players/put them in good positions to succeed. I still see them losing a couple blowout games the shouldn't lose at all, and putting up some good performances against good teams that still go down as losses.

That said, Flag is right, if they look good @ Marshall, all bets are off.

PU plays 6th most difficult schedule in the nation, with opponents going 97-61

Yes, Purdue would play the 6th most difficult schedule, if they were playing all these teams last year. It was a poorly made SOS ranking to fill the void of ncaa fun in the offseason. Stop quoting it please.

I think we can be 5-7 this fall. Anyone feel differently?

I'll be satisfied if we/Purdue wins 3 B1G games, which includes the IU game. Just beat IU this season, please! I want to know what happens if we lose to IU & don't win at least 3 B1G games? Let's face it, it's a pretty low bar this team is looking at, B1G wise.

I think we can be 5-7 this fall. Anyone feel differently?

Same lame offense, same weak defense, no upgrade in talent...same staff. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of lunacy, and with the loss of what I thought was the best QB on the team, the Boilers will struggle again this year and will fail to win a league game.

Sept. 6, 2015 at Marshall Loss on the road

Sept. 12, 2015 Indiana St. Win
Sept. 19, 2015 Virginia Tech Loss at home
Sept. 26, 2015 Bowling Green Bowling Green opens with Rocky Top, Maryland, Memphis, and PU. They may not have any players left by the time they hit West Lafffy. Win
Oct. 3, 2015 at Michigan State Loss
Oct. 10, 2015 Minnesota Loss
Oct. 17, 2015 at Wisconsin Loss
Oct. 31, 2015 Nebraska Loss
Nov. 7, 2015 Illinois Loss
Nov. 14, 2015 at Northwestern Loss
Nov. 21, 2015 at Iowa Loss
Nov. 28, 2015 Indiana At Indiana...depends on how many players at IU are gone due to substance abuse and dealing. Probable Loss

The real question is will Burke fire Hazell during the season or wait until it's over. Two wins max with BG being in question. A season ending loss to IU should do the deal.

Why are you uncomfortable with the line? Panfil and Robinson are raw, but are still young and look the part. Getting more PT they will develop. You can't realistically think these guys are worse than Phillips and Russell can you? Russell might go down on the all time wasted potential team for us. I don't think you can look the part any more than he did but yet be so ineffective. We are strong at DT with Howard, Watson and Replogle and we will definitely see Replogle outside a Little bit more.

OL is Finally upper class and senior. That's gotta mean something. QB and WR play need to take a step forward and honestly...I think it would be almost impossible for it to take a step back from last year.

I think you really undersell the lack of depth we had and the youth we were forced to play at almost every position. This is the first time in a long time we can look at the 2 deeps and see a lot of guys with 3 or 4 years in the program playing.

Wins for us this year:
Marshal
iN St
Illinois
Nebraska
Indiana

It's a step forward.
why would you think a win against nebraska?

Same lame offense, same weak defense, no upgrade in talent...same staff. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of lunacy, and with the loss of what I thought was the best QB on the team, the Boilers will struggle again this year and will fail to win a league game.

Sept. 26, 2015 Bowling Green Bowling Green opens with Rocky Top, Maryland, Memphis, and PU. They may not have any players left by the time they hit West Lafffy. Win
Oct. 3, 2015 at

Oct. 3, 2015 at Michigan State Loss
Oct. 10, 2015 Minnesota Loss
Oct. 17, 2015 at Wisconsin Loss
Oct. 31, 2015 Nebraska Loss
Nov. 7, 2015 Illinois Loss
Nov. 14, 2015 at Northwestern Loss
Nov. 21, 2015 at Iowa Loss
Nov. 28, 2015 Indiana At Indiana...depends on how many players at IU are gone due to substance abuse and dealing. Probable Loss

The real question is will Burke fire Hazell during the season or wait until it's over. Two wins max with BG being in question. A season ending loss to IU should do the deal.

This is really not a serious prediction is it? Who will play in the national championship games and what's the final score? I would like to bet such sure predictions.

This is really not a serious prediction is it? Who will play in the national championship games and what's the final score? I would like to bet such sure predictions.
Remember who the author of this is and when the season is over and the team performs far better, you can join me in unleashing the biggest shit storm on this guy that he has ever seen.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of lunacy

This is an overused statement. Often in life, doing the right thing takes considerable time to produce the desired results. I've found this to be true both with my kids and in the workplace. Sometimes, change is what is needed. Sometimes, consistency is what is needed. Knowing which is the case is often very difficult, especially when dealing with people.

I don't know how much Hazell has been doing right and how much he has been doing wrong, but I favor giving him a third year to turn it around and then re-evaluating at the end of the season. I think that anything less than 5 wins in 2015 would have to be considered a disappointment.

I just can't believe all the hand wringing and despair after 2 seasons. To predict 1 or 2 wins is very defeatist. I am not one of those "uber positives". I want to watch the team play their schedule and then see where we are then. I think there will be discernible progress seen this year.

I think there will be discernible progress seen this year.

Where? I think there will be progress at oline and lb. So if I knew the RBs would hold up, I would be thinking more like 4-6 wins. I think they are ultimately too small to run the way they did in the spring game for the entire season. I expect more of the same from everyone else. AA is a good question mark too for me. His mechanics did look greatly improved, but some of his passes looked like true freshman mistakes. Staring down primaries, throwing late out patterns, etc.

Im also have a hard time believing they can pressure a qb consitently.

I also think people overlook how many of Purdue's yards came from Hunt and Mostert being really fast.

I
Where? I think there will be progress at oline and lb. So if I knew the RBs would hold up, I would be thinking more like 4-6 wins. I think they are ultimately too small to run the way they did in the spring game for the entire season. I expect more of the same from everyone else. AA is a good question mark too for me. His mechanics did look greatly improved, but some of his passes looked like true freshman mistakes. Staring down primaries, throwing late out patterns, etc.

Im also have a hard time believing they can pressure a qb consitently.

I also think people overlook how many of Purdue's yards came from Hunt and Mostert being really fast.
I expect the entire team to play better together.

I expect the entire team to play better together.

So more togetherness means less wasted downs, even a marginal passing attack gets the safties back and frees up the run game, and puts less pressure on the defense.

Whats that get us to 4-6 wins?

So more togetherness means less wasted downs, even a marginal passing attack gets the safties back and frees up the run game, and puts less pressure on the defense.

Whats that get us to 4-6 wins?
Done with you except to say I am anxious to see the final results for 2015.

Last edited:
hahaha. Im just sayin. People keep saying we will be better but theres never a why

Because the team has matured and have been coached longer with more BIG experience. Its pretty simple.

Marshall
Indiana St.
Virginia Tech
Bowling Green
(2-2)
Nebraska
(0-4)
Indiana
(2-2)

I think you are right about this one but I could see us winning only one game in the Big this year if guys don't step up. People saying they will win 6 games are dreaming.

I gave a lot of details as to why I feel we will be greatly improved, and hate to keep repeating myself...but the offense will be greatly improved.
It all depends on who the QB is. If they choose the right guy, I agree. If they keep doing what they have been doing, I don't agree.

Do you think Etling or Blough will be better than Appleby?
I am hoping that Blough is able to show enough to the staff that he is made the starter. I've seen some good things from Blough in practice and in the scrimmages. He has the ability to make plays with his feet, an ability I believe Appleby lacks. Blough seems to be able to consistently make short, intermediate, and sideline throws, which this "Shoopfense" really requires to be successful. I have nothing against Appleby, but his performance seemed to regress as last season wore on, and I thought he didn't look that good in the scrimmages, either. I thought Appleby missed on a lot of plays that were there to be had.

As for Sindelar, I've heard he has a cannon for an arm, but haven't seen him in practice or scrimmages.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I am hoping that Blough is able to show enough to the staff that he is made the starter. I've seen some good things from Blough in practice and in the scrimmages. He has the ability to make plays with his feet, an ability I believe Appleby lacks. Blough seems to be able to consistently make short, intermediate, and sideline throws, which this "Shoopfense" really requires to be successful. I have nothing against Appleby, but his performance seemed to regress as last season wore on, and I thought he didn't look that good in the scrimmages, either. I thought Appleby missed on a lot of plays that were there to be had.

As for Sindelar, I've heard he has a cannon for an arm, but haven't seen him in practice or scrimmages.
A big part of Appleby's demise late in the season was the loss of Anthrop. After Danny went down, he really didn't have anyone consistently getting open.

The Anthrop injury on offense and the Robinson injury on defense both were very significant and exposed Purdue's lack of depth.

A big part of Appleby's demise late in the season was the loss of Anthrop. After Danny went down, he really didn't have anyone consistently getting open.

The Anthrop injury on offense and the Robinson injury on defense both were very significant and exposed Purdue's lack of depth.
It really explains the state of Purdue football when two marginal BIG-caliber players get injured and the entire team goes in-the-tank. I personally refuse to believe that Purdue is that talent deficient. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Anthrop. I just have a problem when people say he was Purdue's "best" WR. In a spread-type or multiple offense used in the BIG, Anthrop should be a 3rd or 4th option in the passing game, not the primary guy. On paper guys like DeAngelo Yancey should be a primary WR. Yancey has a world of talent and athletic ability. Look at the reception he made against ND last year or the long catch over-the-top against Nebraska in his FR year. Perhaps Coach Parker can figure out ways to get more production out of the bigger, better WRs on this team.

Agree SD,

Especially if you look at the list of guys people were excited about at the start of last year to this year. WR should not have been a problem for us last year.

I gave a lot of details as to why I feel we will be greatly improved, and hate to keep repeating myself...but the offense will be greatly improved.

True that sir, its just too much of a step for me to think the offense will all of a sudden click and play hard, together, and effectively. Especially upstairs, all of a sudden Schoop/Hazell are going to start using guys effectively? Aside from just being an optimistic fan, I have no idea where youre coming from. In particular, I think you way overrate the skill players. Seemed like a big divide, so I elected to not engage, then ultimately forgot about it.

It really explains the state of Purdue football when two marginal BIG-caliber players get injured and the entire team goes in-the-tank. I personally refuse to believe that Purdue is that talent deficient. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Anthrop. I just have a problem when people say he was Purdue's "best" WR. In a spread-type or multiple offense used in the BIG, Anthrop should be a 3rd or 4th option in the passing game, not the primary guy. On paper guys like DeAngelo Yancey should be a primary WR. Yancey has a world of talent and athletic ability. Look at the reception he made against ND last year or the long catch over-the-top against Nebraska in his FR year. Perhaps Coach Parker can figure out ways to get more production out of the bigger, better WRs on this team.
I don't disagree, but I don't blame Appleby for Yancy's route running.

Danny Anthrop is not a marginal player. He was well on his way to factoring into the all conference race stat wise at WR before he got hurt.

If he can regain form, I'd expect the offense to continue to move forward.

Agree SD,

Especially if you look at the list of guys people were excited about at the start of last year to this year. WR should not have been a problem for us last year.

True that sir, its just too much of a step for me to think the offense will all of a sudden click and play hard, together, and effectively. Especially upstairs, all of a sudden Schoop/Hazell are going to start using guys effectively? Aside from just being an optimistic fan, I have no idea where youre coming from. In particular, I think you way overrate the skill players. Seemed like a big divide, so I elected to not engage, then ultimately forgot about it.
Danny Anthrop is not a marginal player. He was well on his way to factoring into the all conference race stat wise at WR before he got hurt.

If he can regain form, I'd expect the offense to continue to move forward.
Here once again are my reasons for us having a dangerous offense:
We have an offensive line that is going to be good in all phases. They are eperienced and deep. Hedelin will be one of the B1G's best OL. He now understands English and his pass blocking assignments the way he needs too. Martesse Patterson is the lineman receiving the most praise and at 6'4" 345 lbs he is a NFL sized OG. Another one of Hazells mediocre 2 star recruits that's going to make so many eat their words. Json King and Kugler were generally considered our best OL before this season and both are back. Jordan Roos moves back out to OT, where we already have JJ Prince, Cermin and Warburg.

QB's are now experienced in this offense and are releasing the ball quicker, thereby decreasing the # of sacks. This multi tempo offense alone will make us much more dangerous. We have 3 really good QB's. Appleby has had 3 years under Shoop and he does understand this offense. Blough and Sindelar are both waiting for an opportunity should AA not produce.

RB's are all real good. They aren't track stars, but most of us could look good running behind this OL. The RB who pass blocks the best may emerge as the one getting #1 type reps.

Receivers are going to be a strong point. First of all Yancey is back to 2013 form but now has eperience and is bigger, stronger and faster. Danny Anthrop is an All-B1G WR and back to full strength entering his final year. Those who say he isn't an All-B1G WR must be blind. Phillips and Hart both have a year of experience and will contribute. This group has 3 big WR's who will change the dynamic of this offense....Marshall was this springs Most Improved Player, and Mahoungou and Young are tall, run good routes and go up and get the ball. Don't count out Mikesky either as it is his last year to shine.

TE's are a mystery, and will be replacing 2 guys who are in the NFL. They looked good in the spring and are being coached by terry Malone. I epect them to surprise. Eventually Hopkins and Tressell will fit beautifully into this TE friendly offense, but not this year. Herdman is emerging however, watch him this year.

I hope you took time to read this, and you do not agree that this OL is going to be really good...then I'll have to send Hedelin and Patterson over to eplain nicely why you are wrong. And the WR's are a completely different bunch than last year. Yancey was a different player and when Anthrop went down, so did our offense.

BOILER UP 2015 FOOTBALL!

Reactions: Tucsonboiler2
Here once again are my reasons for us having a dangerous offense:
We have an offensive line that is going to be good in all phases. They are eperienced and deep. Hedelin will be one of the B1G's best OL. He now understands English and his pass blocking assignments the way he needs too. Martesse Patterson is the lineman receiving the most praise and at 6'4" 345 lbs he is a NFL sized OG. Another one of Hazells mediocre 2 star recruits that's going to make so many eat their words. Json King and Kugler were generally considered our best OL before this season and both are back. Jordan Roos moves back out to OT, where we already have JJ Prince, Cermin and Warburg.

QB's are now experienced in this offense and are releasing the ball quicker, thereby decreasing the # of sacks. This multi tempo offense alone will make us much more dangerous. We have 3 really good QB's. Appleby has had 3 years under Shoop and he does understand this offense. Blough and Sindelar are both waiting for an opportunity should AA not produce.

RB's are all real good. They aren't track stars, but most of us could look good running behind this OL. The RB who pass blocks the best may emerge as the one getting #1 type reps.

Receivers are going to be a strong point. First of all Yancey is back to 2013 form but now has eperience and is bigger, stronger and faster. Danny Anthrop is an All-B1G WR and back to full strength entering his final year. Those who say he isn't an All-B1G WR must be blind. Phillips and Hart both have a year of experience and will contribute. This group has 3 big WR's who will change the dynamic of this offense....Marshall was this springs Most Improved Player, and Mahoungou and Young are tall, run good routes and go up and get the ball. Don't count out Mikesky either as it is his last year to shine.

TE's are a mystery, and will be replacing 2 guys who are in the NFL. They looked good in the spring and are being coached by terry Malone. I epect them to surprise. Eventually Hopkins and Tressell will fit beautifully into this TE friendly offense, but not this year. Herdman is emerging however, watch him this year.

I hope you took time to read this, and you do not agree that this OL is going to be really good...then I'll have to send Hedelin and Patterson over to eplain nicely why you are wrong. And the WR's are a completely different bunch than last year. Yancey was a different player and when Anthrop went down, so did our offense.

BOILER UP 2015 FOOTBALL!
On any good to decent BIG team, Anthrop would be the 3rd or 4th option, not the primary guy. Sorry, but that's the truth. Also, coming off a serious knee injury you think he'll be All-BIG this season (First team?)? Right, and I've got some swamp land for you in the Everglades too. TE is an area of real concern. Herdman and Juresevich have almost no PT. Their back-ups are FR. Yikes. As for QB, if Purdue starts Appleby again I fear we'll see a repeat of the last two seasons.

Start Henry. Big time FAIL. Replace with Etling. FAIL. Win 1 game.

Start Etling. FAIL. Replace with Appleby. Better, but still FAIL. Win 3 games.

Start Appleby. Likely to FAIL, considering schedule. Replace with ??? Win ??? games.

Many have stated why we will be improved man. You seem to have decided this season will be a meltdown. And nothing is going to change your mind.

We will see tho

Yeah, maybe I do suck. It just seems when most people say we will be better that its basically because its Hazells third year.

Yeah, maybe I do suck. It just seems when most people say we will be better that its basically because its Hazells third year.
I don't think you suck, well I guess you don't, I don't know.... But I am fascinated by how you think about the team. Do you not think they will have improved some? or do you thin it kinda over already and that Hazell was just a bad hire? Trying to get your vibe here.:D

On any good to decent BIG team, Anthrop would be the 3rd or 4th option, not the primary guy.

Agree, hes Seth Morales, not Stubby or Standeford. He also peaked when they changed the offense for Applebee. And how many torn ACLs do we need before we stop assuming guys take less than a year to get back to form?

I love the enthusiasm but youre basically assuming everything goes perfectly. So far, the staff has definitely done things the hard/slow way. I do think they will have more of an identity.

The RBs are so overrated right now. Congrats, they look great against our mismatched defense in the spring. I do think they will be the best we have had since Shavers and Bolden, but they wont be that good.

The wideouts will not be a strong suit, but I agree Marshall could be a difference maker. In terms of potential I agree with you, there are so many talented receivers on this team.

In any event, thanks all for getting a little deeper into actual football stuff than just yay or nay on the staff.

I don't think you suck, well I guess you don't, I don't know.... But I am fascinated by how you think about the team. Do you not think they will have improved some? or do you thin it kinda over already and that Hazell was just a bad hire? Trying to get your vibe here.:D
I think we will be improved some from 2014. Our defense should be better because, for instance, our LBs will be more experienced. It really bothers me that Robinson got busted (again). We need serious help at DE right now and he looked like a potential beast in the making. Our DTs should be very good and experienced, and if Williams can stay healthy the DBs should be good.

As for the offense, I have the most concerns here. QB is still unsettled and I don't have confidence the OC will get it figured out. Would like nothing more than to see a marked improvement out of the OL and a confident, productive QB behind center. Also, would like to see substantial productivity out of guys like Yancey, Hart, and Phillips. People keep talking up Anthrop, but he had a very serious knee injury, and I'm not counting on him being a primary guy this season. Would also like Mahoungou, Marshall, and Young to make some moves up the depth chart. TE looks like a real mess right now. Maybe Hopkins can step up right away, but it's a lot to ask of a true FR.

Lol, no, I was saying I might suck. Ive sat through too many games around negative silent whiney Purdue fans in my day...

I think the baseline talent will be better. There will be less wildly blown assignments cause units have been around a bit longer and are more familiar with themselves.

In short, the thing that really bugs me is the lack of adjustments the staff makes. As a an example, the staff talked a lot after the MSU game about how they realized that fixing what side of the field the cb's are on allows the opponent to dictate matchup and it was 'something they should look at changing'. I see that sort of thing all over from wr's to qb's, to defensive assignements. They will always be to slow on that stuff, and I dont take them seriously.

Agree, hes Seth Morales, not Stubby or Standeford. He also peaked when they changed the offense for Applebee. And how many torn ACLs do we need before we stop assuming guys take less than a year to get back to form?

I love the enthusiasm but youre basically assuming everything goes perfectly. So far, the staff has definitely done things the hard/slow way. I do think they will have more of an identity.

The RBs are so overrated right now. Congrats, they look great against our mismatched defense in the spring. I do think they will be the best we have had since Shavers and Bolden, but they wont be that good.

The wideouts will not be a strong suit, but I agree Marshall could be a difference maker. In terms of potential I agree with you, there are so many talented receivers on this team.

In any event, thanks all for getting a little deeper into actual football stuff than just yay or nay on the staff.
It's hard for me to understand why all don't share my enthusiasm but I think we all agree that this year is an important one for Purdue football. I think the defense determines how improved we are this year. The offense will be greatly improved and is deep enough to absorb some failures/injuries. Anyway, I'm anxious for the Marshall kickoff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT