ADVERTISEMENT

15 record

I feel 5-7 as well...but I think that will be slightly disappointing as a majority of teams in the BIG this year won't be very good.

Reactions: hozo4ultimate
I see more like 2 wins coming. I think anywhere from 2-4 is pretty reasonable though. 5 seems overly optimistic imo.

The line and linebacker play will be strong, and I think the year will generally be considered a step forward with regards to overall team efficacy and competitiveness. I'm unsure if the qb and wrs can play together/in sync. My 2 wins presumes they do connect on some big passes here and there but nothing reliable. Not enough to keep the safeties back on running downs.

Im critical we can replace Hunt and Mostert. I do think the youngsters at RB will perform well. However, without the breakaway speed, they have to sustain long drives to get into the endzone. Ultimately, I think lots of 1-3 first down drives are coming, and not enough competence to make plays in crunch time.

Defensively, Im very uncomfortable with the line, and getting pressure on qbs in particular.

Mostly, I doubt the coaches are able to get the best out of players/put them in good positions to succeed. I still see them losing a couple blowout games the shouldn't lose at all, and putting up some good performances against good teams that still go down as losses.

That said, Flag is right, if they look good @ Marshall, all bets are off.

Why are you uncomfortable with the line? Panfil and Robinson are raw, but are still young and look the part. Getting more PT they will develop. You can't realistically think these guys are worse than Phillips and Russell can you? Russell might go down on the all time wasted potential team for us. I don't think you can look the part any more than he did but yet be so ineffective. We are strong at DT with Howard, Watson and Replogle and we will definitely see Replogle outside a Little bit more.

OL is Finally upper class and senior. That's gotta mean something. QB and WR play need to take a step forward and honestly...I think it would be almost impossible for it to take a step back from last year.

I think you really undersell the lack of depth we had and the youth we were forced to play at almost every position. This is the first time in a long time we can look at the 2 deeps and see a lot of guys with 3 or 4 years in the program playing.

Wins for us this year:
Marshal
iN St
Illinois
Nebraska
Indiana

It's a step forward.

I think you really undersell the lack of depth we had and the youth we were forced to play at almost every position. This is the first time in a long time we can look at the 2 deeps and see a lot of guys with 3 or 4 years in the program playing.

I could be. Ive heard lots of coaches sell the need for depth, but none of Tillers teams were very deep. Maybe Im underselling it because the last guy I heard sell me depth was Hope. He harped on it constantly in 09/10 and that turned into the 2012 team.

You can't realistically think these guys are worse than Phillips and Russell can you?

Yeah Russell really bugged me too. We do have good DTs. Since we only play with one real DT on the field, it puts a lot of pressure on the ends to produce. Its much harder to control the line of scrimmage this way. So either the ends suck and the DTs get constantly doubled, or the DTs play with a very inconsistent effort cause they disappear down the stretch a lot. I do generally think the ends will be better, I do not think they will produce many more sacks nor are they old enough to take on tackles consistently on running downs. Why Robinson is playing on the line last year is beyond me. Hes clearly to small.

I do think the oline being more senior will count for something. However, I don't think it will be much because I still think teams stack the box against us and we do basically nothing about it since the Hazell/Schoop leadership gets the qbs to play so poorly, and call plays so straight forward.

In short, I absolutely agree they could go 5-7. I honestly think the players could go 8-4. Although, I stand by thinking these coaches will produce 2ish wins.

Marshall is a real stretch imo because of the coaching mismatch.

It is refreshing to have a guy that presents himself so well as the coach of Purdue, but if that's translated to any part of the field, Ive missed it.

I could realistically see anywhere from 3-6 wins. I'm predicting 6-7 with a low level bowl loss. I think we see a major step forward this year, call me cautiously optimistic. I think our defense with improved play form the O could be the best we've had in a while. I think you'll be watching 2 Sunday players at LB with a 3rd that has a shot. When's the last time we've had not only good linebackers but big physical LB who look the part. As always looking forward to football season and can't wait for fall days in West Lafayette. Boiler Up.

I could realistically see anywhere from 3-6 wins. I'm predicting 6-7 with a low level bowl loss. I think we see a major step forward this year, call me cautiously optimistic. I think our defense with improved play form the O could be the best we've had in a while. I think you'll be watching 2 Sunday players at LB with a 3rd that has a shot. When's the last time we've had not only good linebackers but big physical LB who look the part. As always looking forward to football season and can't wait for fall days in West Lafayette. Boiler Up.
I'll take 6-6, with a Bowl win to end up 7-6.

I would say we have a chance to be a 6 win team but Shoop is our OC. I predict terrible offense and an average defense. Another dissapointing season 4-8.

Reactions: PA Boilermakers
I would say we have a chance to be a 6 win team but Shoop is our OC. I predict terrible offense and an average defense. Another dissapointing season 4-8.
If you end up being right about the O, then the record (4-8) will follow. I think this O playing multiple tempos and having a seasoned O line will be much improved. The receiving corps were much improved (and deep) this spring. It's a good thing you Shoop haters have him to kick around, it gives you something to do.

Anyone who thinks we'll go to a bowl is in for a rude awakening. We'll be extremely lucky to get 4 with our schedule.

If you end up being right about the O, then the record (4-8) will follow. I think this O playing multiple tempos and having a seasoned O line will be much improved. The receiving corps were much improved (and deep) this spring. It's a good thing you Shoop haters have him to kick around, it gives you something to do.
Hopefully next year we won't have that option!!!

Reactions: Redhotfill
Anyone who thinks we'll go to a bowl is in for a rude awakening. We'll be extremely lucky to get 4 with our schedule.

Our schedule isn't easy....but it also lacks any real top end opponents that are definitive losses out of the gate besides MSU...and we have been pretty competitive with them lately.

Marshall is beatable. VA Tech is beatable. Both of these teams are most likely 6-8 win teams. Nothing to tremble over.

We will have plenty of chances to stick in games with our decent D and hopefully a more consistent run game that can get us 4 yards a pop vs. 1 yard here and there then an occasional big one.

2 straight finishes in the bottom 20 in total offense.

You think he's not the problem?

boiler800,

We have two years of results with Shoop at Purdue. They have been poor, at best. 2013 was historically bad. Last year was somewhat better, but still nowhere good enough. Look at his track record at UNC. With the players they had, UNC seriously underperformed with Shoop as OC. Look at him as OC for the Bears, need I say more?

boiler800,

We have two years of results with Shoop at Purdue. They have been poor, at best. 2013 was historically bad. Last year was somewhat better, but still nowhere good enough. Look at his track record at UNC. With the players they had, UNC seriously underperformed with Shoop as OC. Look at him as OC for the Bears, need I say more?
Yeah his performance at UNC was the most alarming. Good NFL prospects all over that offense while he was there, especially at WR and the highest that offense ever finished in total O was like 42nd or something like that. That's pretty damn bad for a team with as many weapons as they had AND a kid playing QB who played a bit in the NFL.

Thank you!

One stupid writer publish a poorly evaluated SOS with Purdue at 6...

I've seen in the 20s mostly. Don't get me wrong...it's not easy. The only real team we are guaranteed to beat is Indiana St. That said, we probably won't see a Wisconsin team as weak for awhile. Nebraska is in transition with a new coach. Minny lost a lot of pieces from their good team last year and we always play well vs. them at home. David Cobb was probably THE toughest runner in conference last year and that says a lot for a group that had like 8 guys drafted. We generally play well vs. Northwestern away. We finally get IU back at our place after 2 years at theirs. A road game at Iowa doesn't scare me. Bowling Green will probably be closer than it should be but if the run game is what I think it will be we should control the clock and that game and win a close one.

Lots of good tests, but games we SHOULD be competitive in week in and week out.

I have Nebraska circled as a chance at a quality win vs. a good name opponent. They are coming to WLaffy, they lost their 2 best offensive weapons, the D is just OK....I think we can pull one out here for sure.

I've seen in the 20s mostly. Don't get me wrong...it's not easy.

Agree. None of the teams scare me on paper, except for Wisky and MSU. I think both are at reloading standpoints, and youve always got a couple good teams on any schedule.

For the rest, I expect one or two big ten teams to surprise but some of the others will disappoint.

Agree. None of the teams scare me on paper, except for Wisky and MSU. I think both are at reloading standpoints, and youve always got a couple good teams on any schedule.

For the rest, I expect one or two big ten teams to surprise but some of the others will disappoint.
I think Wisky is due for a slow, gradual decline. Not saying they will be bad this year, but I think Chryst will find the sledding at Wisky to be harder than his predecessors. Look at his track record at Pitt - not exactly earth shattering. He did seem to do well at recruiting.

MSU has some questions, too. Dantonio is a great HC, but lost both his OC (Warner) and DC (Narduzzi) to their own head coaching positions. These guys were both superb coordinators. It's tough overcoming losses of key staff members like this. MSU has been recruiting well, but I think Harbaugh will make inroads in Michigan and in Ohio against Dantonio. Again, I could easily see a slow, gradual decline. This season, they are definitely one of the teams to beat in the league and I wouldn't put it past Dantonio to keep MSU at their current high level. Still, I think the winds of change are going to starting blowing against Sparty.

Ive been waiting for Wisky to take a step back for years and it keeps not happening. Plus I think to be happy there you have to be happy with Alvarez being the real boss, and I think Chryst is okay with that.

MSU has made large investments in the program from the top down. If they do take a step back this year I think its short lived as they seem to get what it takes to win. I think they will regularly attract top talent on the field and sideline. They are doing what any AD with a clue would have done when they have a good coach willing to stay.

Yeah his performance at UNC was the most alarming. Good NFL prospects all over that offense while he was there, especially at WR and the highest that offense ever finished in total O was like 42nd or something like that. That's pretty damn bad for a team with as many weapons as they had AND a kid playing QB who played a bit in the NFL.
Well you guys bashing Shoop might be right, but I say don't judge anything until after this season. That's all I'm saying. After having some years with a horrible offensive line, especially 2013, I thought more of you would be upbeat about this offensive line. And this line has some depth for a change. If they pass block better, as they did in the spring, I expect this offense to be vastly improved. I also thought many of you would be singing the praises of the great spring the receiving corps had, and they did it without Anthrop and Young. Some of you began bashing our coaching staff and our team after 2013. You don't need to beat a dead horse all the way to the glue factory--we all know how bad 2013 was. As for those who think my 6 win call is "STUPID", I can only tell you this: last season I put my money where my mouth is by betting on Purdue Football, and at seasons end I had grown my money by 50%. My point is that I was "STUPID" enough to have a 50% ROI on these guys...meaning I was obviously right most of the time. What happened to the days when Purdue fans kept cheering til the final second? I sat in the stands in 1983 in almost 100 degree heat, and Purdue down to ND 52-0 and didn't leave until we scored. I don't hear any fan like that on here...no guys here that are PURDUE 100% no matter what happens. What a shame.

Well you guys bashing Shoop might be right, but I say don't judge anything until after this season. That's all I'm saying. After having some years with a horrible offensive line, especially 2013, I thought more of you would be upbeat about this offensive line. And this line has some depth for a change. If they pass block better, as they did in the spring, I expect this offense to be vastly improved. I also thought many of you would be singing the praises of the great spring the receiving corps had, and they did it without Anthrop and Young. Some of you began bashing our coaching staff and our team after 2013. You don't need to beat a dead horse all the way to the glue factory--we all know how bad 2013 was. As for those who think my 6 win call is "STUPID", I can only tell you this: last season I put my money where my mouth is by betting on Purdue Football, and at seasons end I had grown my money by 50%. My point is that I was "STUPID" enough to have a 50% ROI on these guys...meaning I was obviously right most of the time. What happened to the days when Purdue fans kept cheering til the final second? I sat in the stands in 1983 in almost 100 degree heat, and Purdue down to ND 52-0 and didn't leave until we scored. I don't hear any fan like that on here...no guys here that are PURDUE 100% no matter what happens. What a shame.
I respectfully submit that you are full of crap. I've been Purdue through and through since 1964. Enjoyed the Mollenkopf years then lived and died through the dark era that followed with only a brief glimmer of hope while Young was in charge. Enjoyed the Tiller revolution then watched the slide to oblivion, the Hopeless years and now a total train wreck. If not believing in a team that can't win 25% of its' games in a two year span and seeing little evidence of change means I'm not a true Purdue fan then you know where you can put it.

I respectfully submit that gambling is not a good way to establish intelligence. I get that it was to establish you were right about the team, but still...

I respectfully submit that gambling is not a good way to establish intelligence. I get that it was to establish you were right about the team, but still...
For the record I bet $50...ended with $75...and after basketball it went to $300. You're right and it was not meant to be used to establish intellegence. I merely wanted to say negative talk is cheap.

Reactions: weismand
I respectfully submit that you are full of crap. I've been Purdue through and through since 1964. Enjoyed the Mollenkopf years then lived and died through the dark era that followed with only a brief glimmer of hope while Young was in charge. Enjoyed the Tiller revolution then watched the slide to oblivion, the Hopeless years and now a total train wreck. If not believing in a team that can't win 25% of its' games in a two year span and seeing little evidence of change means I'm not a true Purdue fan then you know where you can put it.
I'm happy to hear of your lifelong support. There is a huge difference between not believing in your team and publicly trashing them and not seeing any positives, when positives do exist. I respectfully submit that this years offense will feature a very good line opening holes for our new RB's...and our receivers will feature some big guys who will go up and get the ball...and our line will give our QB time to throw the ball deep. Just because I see these things as something to look forward to, and you see it as a train wreck, doesn't mean I'm saying you are not a true Purdue fan. I didn't know you existed until now. Take a chill pill before each game because I think you'll need it.

For the record I bet $50...ended with $75...and after basketball it went to $300. You're right and it was not meant to be used to establish intellegence. I merely wanted to say negative talk is cheap.

Haha, not bad. I should have put a tic after my comment as I did not mean it judgy.

I bet a depressed Michigan fan coworker $5 they would beat us in 08. Purdue win = $5, my smile in the picture = priceless

I appreciate your great support and I am 100 per cent Purdue no matter what happens.

I think we'll be better. We will obviously have a diff style than last year.The rb'scannot be worse blockers than their predecessors. Shorter, more consistant runs will improve our 3rd down conversion rate and the qbs efficiency will improve because he won't be in 3rd and long so often. The defence will not be on the field as much and we'll therefore be a better 4th qtr team(where we got l
Killed last year).

Reactions: boiler800
How about this situation...

5 wins heading into IU game.

We beat IU and then go to a bowl game a win that. Would set up for some good momentum going into the next year.

Hoping for more but I'm thinking around 6

How about this situation...

5 wins heading into IU game.

We beat IU and then go to a bowl game a win that. Would set up for some good momentum going into the next year.

Hoping for more but I'm thinking around 6
That would definitely be a positive situation. I'd love for Hazell to do this this season. I've been waiting to see his teams show this kind of capability, but outside of close losses to Minnesota and MSU last season, there's been scarce little reason to believe a breakout is imminent. We did beat Illinois, but Illinois was a mediocre team last season at best.

Again, I'd love for Purdue to actually start producing on the field and have a winning, positive season. Deliver this, and I think recruiting will start to pick up noticeably.

Aside from the obvious that I would like to see Hazell win cause he coaches my team. Given the way Hazell is building the roster, that would mean we are a physical disciplined team. I would love to see Purdue play like that again.

Marshall
Indiana St.
Virginia Tech
Bowling Green
(2-2)
Nebraska
(0-4)
Indiana
(2-2)

Yes I beg to differ.
Care to join us @ the next pigskin final 4?
CHAMPS001_zps6db155a3.jpg

Not confident in the staff yet to make a positive guess on the football team. I would love to be proven wrong, but until I see some evidence that the staff can get us to a winning season, I think we'll be lucky to get 3 wins.

Come on DH! Give me some signs of improvement this year so I can get on the bandwagon!

Marshall
Indiana St.
Virginia Tech
Bowling Green
(2-2)
Nebraska
(0-4)
Indiana
(2-2)

I think you're spot on Unc. I'm hoping we improve and can sneak another one out of the bottom 4. Excited for Marshall and seeing what we've got.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT